All-Time Draft 2011: Discussion thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    That was just an idea, but I would leave the logistics involving such a draft to the experts!

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I suppose it could run very much like the All-Time Draft except for the fact that the players would have to meet the criteria.
    From what I remember, you were going to exclude players drafted in previous all-time drafts plus players with certain numbers of appearances and/or goals at International level plus Balon D'or winners etc? The details were in the History Group of course...

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I also remember I think, that doing the draft in partnerships was mentioned.

4. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    The positive of such a draft would be total unpredictability regarding which players would be drafted and in which order. The negative would be that drafters would have to research quite thoroughly what kind of players are left to fulfill the criteria. Which would lead to the next positive, which would be a great educational effect. There are some obvious players, but after them it would become a real challenge very soon afterwards.

5. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Criteria of exclusion would have to be agreed upon, but as PDG1978 already mentioned, players previously drafted in any of the All-Time Drafts should not be available, also no Ballon d'Or winners. Players that did shine during a World Cup or a European Championship/Copa America might also not be available for drafting (needs definition of course). So basically it should focus on players who left a great mark on certain domestic leagues but for whatever reasons did not get a chance to perform at a high level for their national teams.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes I think it's a good and different idea. I think we'd need specific criteria at the start so that people weren't unsure who they could draft, so we should probably draw up a list of excluding factors. On the other hand I suppose anyone excluded could be picked and it would be up to people to judge how much of a legend they were in their own league.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes that's right - I just replied as you were typing! Maybe the All-Star teams for World Cups and European Championships could be used as an excluding criteria too (unless you wanted to go further and say no more than 5 appearances in international tournaments) and maybe for the Copa America if available. Perhaps any player with 75 caps or 30 International goals could be excluded too?

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This is the reason it might work best drafting in pairs and discussing/educating each other by PM...depending on the number of drafters.

9. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First of all, my primary formation was 4-1-2-1-2, basically a 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield diamond.

The players I selected (specifically Stoichkov and Iniesta) were purposefully picked to give me formation flexibility and seamless transition to a wider formation like 4-2-3-1. I could've easily picked different players and used a more restricted formation/tactic, but I didn't want that. I like flexibility and I thought that it would be valued more by other drafters who voted.

I understand that I might've lost a lot of points with my selection of Iniesta and I don't think (at any point) that I have the best team. There are at least 5-6 teams better than mine, in my eyes at least, but I think my last place is harsh.

However, that will not prevent me from participating in any future drafts. So, I'll be back, for sure.

p.s. What is so wrong with a formation without any wingers? Is that a crime or something? There have been plenty of teams who have had success without using wingers, especially traditional wingers.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You were better off picking Scholes :p

[j/k]

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Don't worry mate Karloski failed even harder in his first draft and finished 2nd in the next one. :p

12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, but that first one was a sheep draft, so luck played a huge part in building a good team. All time draft....not so much.

13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    So, are we doing Gregoriak's draft or not?

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to let you all know, if it goes ahead, I won't be participating. I don't know enough about the worlds leagues throughout history, and I won't have enough time to research.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    If there's enough interest then I'm happy to run it. I'll start a thread tomorrow.

16. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, right......

TBH, instead of Iniesta, I was thinking of selecting Bruno Conti and going with a straight 4-2-3-1 formation.

Like I said, I'm not discouraged by participation in any future Drafts, despite my last place. But in all honesty, I thought that I had assembled a team that is much better than last place. The way I see it, my team could easily be in the middle of the rankings.

BTW, I thought that your team was better than mine and I think I placed it in the top3 of my rankings.

17. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    So what about criteria?

Ineligible players

We've already established
    - Players who won the Ballon D'Or
    - Players who were drafted in any previous Sheep (09+10) or Alltime Draft(06+11)

???
    - Players who reached at least the 4th place at WC, while playing at least 50% of their teams games

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Please do.

19. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002