All-Time Brazil Squad

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The 10 and 14 team had better defensive and goalkeeper talent than the past teams.

Also, this current generation of Brazilian talent isn't the worst I have seen.

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The balance has slowly been shifting away from talent anyway. To comeback to the top, Brazil will need both talent, and also better other variables.

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    The reason for the 1982 vs 2014 NT talent gap isn't a talent gap in itself, it's expectations. Look, when the US Dream team was put together it was for a reason, the world had caught up so much with the USA Basketball talent that they couldn't just throw collegiate players out there and win everything.

Now... the USA Team cannot compete with collegiate players any longer, they need to play with their A team in the olympics and with professionals on all other tournaments, or they won't be able to win. That's just the world catching up.

difference between the 1982 team and the 2014 team is our perception.

1982 Brazil played: Soviet Union, Scotland, New Zealand, Argentina, Italy.
    2014 Brazil played: Mexico, Croatia, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Germany.

• There's no comparison that Brazil had a MUCH harder time in the 2014 due to schedule, let's start with that.
    • Secondly the team looked really good in the group matches beating New Zealand and Scotland with 4 goals (easy to look good like that vs those teams)
    • Argentina was an older version of the 1978 team, this is a team that qualified second on a bad group to begin with
    • Lastly... if Brazil had a world cup where they looked wonderful and lost to Germany in the semi-final the same way they did to Italy in 1982 TODAY... people wouldn't care and would still say the team sucks!
    We live in a different era now, I mean... Brazilians are watching Neymar... they are witnessing a great player become a legend! when it's all said and done he will be one of the best players in our history! Yet the conversation about Neymar is... He would never start in our national team if he was born in a different era. Which is just boatloads of crap.

Also that 2002 World Cup... If you go back to what the discussion was PRIOR to them winning the World Cup, you would never say that team was talented... People in Brazil were saying we would be lucky to get out of group stages!

Which brings me back around to my point... had we won in 2014, Dani Alves would have earned legendary status among RBs in the HISTORY of the sport!!!! He would have very likely be named the BEST RB EVER IN THE SPORT!!!!!

Just think about that... we're 100% playing results.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  4. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is my pick for Brazilian team of the 21st century (only the players I have seen live):

[​IMG]

I found it almost impossible to choose 3 out of 4 between Neymar, Kaka, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo. In the end I dropped Rivaldo because I felt his prime was in the late 90's instead.

The choice between Marcos, Dida and Júlio César wasn't easy either. Dida was probably the best penalty stopper out of the three, but was also very inconsistent. Marcos was my best bet overall.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think there's a case to be made that Cafu, like Rivaldo, peak came in the late 90s, and early 2000s. Someone like Dani Alves, however, played his whole career in the 21st century, so maybe a better shout.

Also, I think Gilberto Silva and Emerson were both more impressive than Edmilson. Maybe even preferred to Juninho as well, considering Brazil usually plays with two DM

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  6. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Recently I re-watched the 1958 and 1962 world cup final full match and try to capture every remarkable and below average performance of players.

I really don't see how great was Zagallo apart from being great team work players. In 1958 final, He made too many useless approaches. His crossing was pointless and out of accurate zone. His style is also limited on the left flank and that’s why he scored too few goals. His dribbling and technique was really unremarkable. I never saw he got pass opponent by himself. In 1962, he played better significantly with less often mistakes but still far from a superstar level. He won only 33 caps less than 40 % of total Brazil matches during his career. If he was not be too lucky to play in superb Brazilian team with two worlcd champions decoration, he would be far from a legendary status.

Nilton Santos in 1958 final is also disappointed. Two unforgiveable mistakes are noted. Firstly, he passed the ball to the left-wing without seeing none of his teammate could run to proceed the ball. Secondly, he lost his balance too easy when he just ran to follow Khurt Hamrin. In 1962, he was already 37 years old with low speed so I did not expect any special thing.

Djalma in 1958 final is too bad and easily understand why he was dropped in reserved team before the match and the all-stars team selection is really not deserved for him, In 1962, he played a lot better but not satisfy enough. He too often made an inaccurate long ball, not tackle opponent when have occasions and just try to cover his zone. His style is extremely a full-back when he rarely went to the wing-area. I'm quite sure Thuram's skill as a right-back is much more efficient.

Lucas... and La-Máquina repped this.
  7. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Juninho is very interesyting choice. I've never thought him being good enough to make such team despite being only 21st century.

Anyhow this team si offensive oriented. None of the front four plays defense, while Juninho isn't known as a destructive player.

Betting on 3+ goals would probably be 1,15 every game with this team.

8. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    [​IMG]
    http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=f317f

I was thinking something more like this.
    High press, free flowing, Joga Bonito football.

Btw, how do i post an image from that website?

9. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    taffarel leandro domingos da guia nilton santos junior
    gerson zizinho zico
    garrincha pele leonidas

Lockeroom repped this.
  10. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Taffarel - Carlos Alberto, Júlio César, Luiz Pereira, Nilton Santos - Gerson, Falcao - Ronaldlo, Pelé, Romário, Garrincha.

11. Lasha the Idiotic

FC Barcelona
    Georgia
    Jul 19, 2021
    I'd say something like this

Pele - Ronaldo
    Rivelino - Didi - Dunga - Garrincha
    N. Santos - Aldair - Bellini - C. Alberto
    Gilmar