All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think once we were all clear on the hockey assist (he got another last night) it became redundant.

lobomojo and appwrangler repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    yeah, that must be it

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Great attitude. Persistence, level head. Careful with his words, yet honest. If he avoids injuries, he will be a great player.

5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He has the mentality of someone years beyond his age. A perfect Chelsea player. Impactful on the pitch, too.

6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pul suffered set back had to be pulled from training and full running right before Leicester match, now questionable for ManU but team hoping he gets back on track for that match:(:(:(

8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Christ.. come on Christian, we really... really ********ing need ya.

9. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ouch man, this is starting to turn into a bona-fide injury saga

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hershey head.

11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not sure if Lamp or the Chelsea medics agree but Pul says he is "super close" to return

hope so, could really use him for the run in

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sunday might be too soon? I haven't heard any reports that he's even been in training.

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yeah I think Pul's "soon" is once again a bit too optimistic; like RLC I think he will have to do 90 minutes in a u-23 match first after he is in full training and that it is best to let him recover fully in a proper way

Lamp learned the hard way himself, was out for 3 months with same injury, came back too soon and it and other resulting injuries bothered him most of year,, at Pul's age better to make sure he is fully recovered

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I snagged this from the Yanks Abroad forum but thought it would be interesting to post here.

They will likely always be linked by many cause Hazard left and Pulisic was brought in. They have similarities in their games. Not saying CP will get to Hazards level. Just a comparison to the start of their Chelsea careers.

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i was really high on his potential pretty early. saw him play in person for USMNT and earlier, it's so obvious there is something about him. but i was still very nervous about him coming to the PL with the pressure. all the signs were there that he SHOULD succeed. but you never actually know. i remember making the case at the time that he was basically already a willian, with the potential to be a hazard.

i think it's clear that he will be better (more end production i think) than willian. he also has a little more of that killer determination that hazard kind of needed at times. don't get me wrong, hazard absolutely won games for us, but he still seemed to let his foot off the gas at times.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is a story about Hazard where he is playing Mario Kart and he doesn;t warm up because he knows how good he is.

Hazard in a nutshell. And Mario Kart is serious business.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    These Hazard comparisons are super risky! Let's just enjoy him. He's a great, young player who has the potential to be with us for a very long time if all goes well. He's 21 and will have quiet games.

The funny thing is, at Dortmund, he was never viewed or asked to be a goal-scorer. The US team and now Lampard has really brought that part of his game out. He now has the ability to net 15-20 a season.

He outshone several stars last night and baited Benjamin Mendy like a fish on his goal.

And the distance between him and Callum is vast right now.

Blueallthru repped this.
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That isn't exactly true he got to the first team at Dortmund precisely because he scored prolifically for the BVB U's. The diff at BVb was he was just beginning his professional career, and they had other guys that could score too. I mean if auba is your forward the instruction should be to get to him early and often. Dembele was a terror and Reus was playing well. He just needed to make his spot not be a hole where attacks went to die, and add some danger on occasion. If the other team neglects you make them pay. That was his job at BVB.

Oddly after the trade and his recovery from injury was one of his better scoring stretches at BVB and they were really leaning on him to take some of the pressure off of Jaden.

I think the big diff is BVB paid a few pennies for an America youth prospect and CFC paid millions for a proven Bundesliga performer. The price has some bearing on expectations. At BVB he wasn't expected to lead anything or to take charge, they other players for that. Chelsea paid finished product prices, and thus they have a much higher expectation for him. Now it is expected that he step up and take some responsibility for the offensive production.

His biggest problem all along was physical maturity. He was simply too undersized to hold up for very many games in a row against grown ass men who had spent years working on their bodies. He is a high character guy and embodies the English mantra of "git yer head down and git on with it mate."

The good news is: those of who has watched his career can assure you as long as he can maintain availability, his other abilities will result in some good production for CFC.

You guys think you like him now, if he ever gets a run at a 10 position you will want to bear his children. He can unsettle an entire defense with the ball at his feet and just a wee bit of space. The unsettling causes an organized defense to go all 6's and 9's really fast. Even when he doesn't score or assist he is often involved in them, even if it was only to keep a ball that should be dead, alive.

Good times and even if soccer is not a Yank thing we really need a hero right now.

Blueallthru repped this.
  19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Why don’t coaches (club or country) ever try him there?

20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He played there once or twice for the US. It was OK. The US sucks so badly, though.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He plays there for the US often. He played there before TT called him up at BVB. He had Reus in that spot and then Dembele and Tuchel was just trying to get him on the pitch. Up until now he hasn't had the strength to hold off physical challenges and has been easily pushed off the ball. That is what happens when kids play against grown ass men.

CFC doesn't really play with a CAM they use a forward with LAM and RAM.with two eights and a six in a 4-3-3.

I think the day will come when we do see him in a CAM role again. He still needs to grow into the game some, and CFC doesn't really play with chalk on your boot , they have fullbacks for that. Early on when CP first got to CFC Super Frank thought he was a central player, even if he doesn't deploy him there.

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm just enjoying him. He's blown away my expectations and as a compatriot, I can't ask for more.

23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pulisic is the type of player I can see kids wanting to admire.

Semi-related, it's remarkable to see how far the game has come in the US. It used to be one of those nice things when you saw someone wearing a soccer shirt. Now, I see kids wearing Lukaku Belgium shirts. I'm just hoping a few years from now it'll be Pulisic Chelsea/US shirts.

Blueallthru repped this.