All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s no keeper either

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Actually, I bet he could play an outside back.

But yeah, he's wiry, but not tall enough to be a keeper.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I’m not mistaken he played wingback a couple of times for Dortmund when they played 3 at the back. Not the same but still something. Whether he reaches his full potential remains to be seen but he’s a very smart player especially when you take in his age. The question isn’t if he will be a good player for Chelsea but rather if he will be a great player.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Anyone knows if/when Pulisic joins the team for training?

Looks like Chelsea's first EPL game is away at Man U on 8/11?

Damn, can't wait for the new season to start.

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing for sure. He said a few days, maybe but I can’t imagine Chelsea will be ok with that. I think it will be a week or maybe two but def not the full 30 days.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He will join up with the club for their trip to Japan (first match there is July 19, so just before then).

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank on Pulisic joining after a short break...

“I appreciate that [coming straight off the Gold Cup],” Lampard added. “It’s how I would have been.”

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He played right back a few times as well with 4 in the back.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t wait to see him play in a Chelsea jersey.

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But Lampard impressed a bit, which is what matters:

"‘Good, good,’ said Lampard when asked to assess Pulisic’s contribution in a 1-0 defeat. ‘He has been here a couple of days really in terms of training, so have been really impressed. ‘He’s comfortable on the ball and I think he should have had a penalty towards the end of the game. ‘He wants to try to take people on, the sort of player the fans are going to like so we have to give him a little bit of time to adapt slightly. ‘But the way he has trained, the way he has come in with his personality looks great so I am really pleased to have him.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/19/fran...debut-kawasaki-frontale-10426835/?ito=cbshare

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    After a few friendlies, interested in hearing about your thoughts of Pulisic.

Personally, I think he'll need at least a few months to get to know his teammates and build a good understanding with them. I also think he'll need sometimes to adjust to the EPL's games. Honestly, I love to see him come out of the gate and make an impact, but realistically I expect him to be productive after he got half a season under his belt.

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s too early and the matches too irrelevant to be credible. He’s shown some decent touches and a willingness to run at defenders, which is good, but haven’t yet seen anything that tells me he will be a double digit goal threat, in keeping with his career stats to date.

Overall, incomplete grade but happy to have him in the squad. How Lampard nurtures him will be crucial I think. And for fans to be patient that he isn’t a hazard replacement.

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Americans to the Rescue:p:D

nice poised taken goal to open Salz scoring

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    now he earns a penner for Barkley to put in, Bark beats keeper to corner nicely though keeper guessed right

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Nice game for Puli today.

Hope he can replicate the same productions on 8/11.

lobomojo repped this.
  17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lobomojo repped this.
  18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pulisic praised Chelsea boss Frank Lampard for helping him during his spell at Stamford Bridge.

He said: 'It's amazing. I mean, it's everything I hoped it would be and more.

'Frank's a great guy and he's helped me so much and he understands where I'm coming from and he's done a really good job and helped me, teaching us, especially a lot of the younger guys on the team.'

19. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is Pulisic too timid?

Pulisic is a little player and he is slight at 5ft 7" ----- couple of inches shorter than Hazard ---- 5ft 9" ---- and a few inches shorter than Mount and CHO --- 5ft 10"

He lost is place at Dortmund last season to Sarf London boy Sancho 5ft 11"

But is he timid? Is there any truth in this?

i mean Dennis Wise was an inch smaller and he was feisty little b'stard ----- Dennis Wise with his home and away eyes :D

20. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    literally every single thing i've seen from Pulisic from a playing capacity shows me the opposite. he's been the captain for the national team specifically because he's not timid. now is he trying to find his role in this team? sure. but i don't think that's timid. he might be trying to pass back a bit more to keep possession but that could be tactical just as much as anything, but watch him near the box and willingness to take people on......no, i don't think he's timid.

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think he either, I also think Burley like most others are doing everything they can to make it a talking point. This was always my concern with Puli coming here. There is so much unwarranted pressure on him and now Lampard. Every week it's questions about why he didn't play. What's wrong with him? Etc.

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dont see him as a timid player but he also hasn't shown he is yet up to the physicality of the premier league which is a different arena to Bundesliga and international football.

I have also seen nothing that gives me any cause for concern. As with everything this season, patience is key. He has had some nice moments.

I'm not close to the english media this season but there doesnt seem to be a ton of pressure or expectation outside of the US driven media/fanbase which probably doesn't impact the squad much. Honestly haven't seen many interviews with him to better guage this but my guess is he'll be working hard in training and waiting to take the next chance which wont be long in the waiting. Not remotely concerned at this time.

lobomojo and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pulisic has only been at the club for a few months, whereas our other young and younger players have all been associated with the club for years. Most of them signed for Chelsea in utero. As the season goes forward I think we shall see more of CP. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has to offer, only glimpses thus far, highlight being the disallowed goal versus Liverpool in the Superior Cup. Didn't look timid to me that night.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He needs to do waaaay more.

25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's the debate here. Those that are saying he does more and those saying he needs to do more. He hasn't been bad, he's been decent IMO. He should be ahead of Pedro IMO, but it'll take time for him to adjust. Nothing wrong with that.