All the stars are gone - 2017 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kernel_thai, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Never mind USSF, it might be Lavelle.

This is the one time I think Chris is wrong as my first instint and most people same to confirm that Washington have that first pick in the distribution order

854153780560109569 is not a valid tweet id

2. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    #377 LucyFearsTheMorningStar, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    He's wrong. Spirit are #1 and Boston #2.

My crazy speculation. Portland sends someone to Spirit for #1 spot. [emoji23]

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Based on the Spirit's recent trades, they'll probably trade it and an international spot (because why not) for Portland's 4th round pick next year...

4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    A deal to swap next year's allocation order spots

holden repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Can this owner's meeting be live streamed please? Also can someone leak the name of the players/picks Portland is looking to trade?

Gilmoy and sitruc repped this.
  6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people are saying Washington is foolish for holding out here. I think it's brilliant. Everyone knows that Pugh wants to play for Portland. Everyone knows Portland wants Pugh. Washington holds her rights until after this season. Washington came to the table with the cards. Yes, Pugh could go overseas, but she clearly wants to go to Portland. I expect Washington to get at least a starting caliber player and a 1st round pick next year by the time this is all said and done, possibly more.

Also, it would be better for Washington to get nothing but know that they will not have to play against Pugh with Portland because she's playing in Europe than to give her to Portland for less than she is worth.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm not sure the bolded part is true. I think Pugh wants Portland but I do not think Portland is desperate to get her. They finally have a balance team that clicks, why mess with all of that right now? However I do think USSF is desperate to have Pugh play in the NWSL. Maybe they can find a way to get her to another club other than Portland.
    Also, I think they should just scrap the entire distribution order as it's a sham anyway. Just let players go where they want and tell teams to suck it.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Depends on what they are doing. If they are willing to talk trade but playing hardball on what is offered, that's one thing. If they are saying they will not talk trade and she comes to Washington or not at all, then that is stupid. Eventually USSF will force a deal and it probably won't be as good as what Washington could get on their own.

Moreover, they gave up a ton of stuff to get that top allocation spot. That has an expiration date. If they don't use it by the end of this season, they lose it (unless they finish dead last then they'd get it again next season). There won't be anything else they could use it on this season, so if they let it go to waste and get nothing in return, that is the height of stupidity.

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Somewhere Boston is saying welcome to our world.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    noooo Ochs! :eek:

RE Pugh: I don't think DC currently holds her rights... What they hold are first dibs in the distribution order, so *if* USSF pulls the trigger and decides to send Pugh through the subsidization process, DC gets first say in whether they want her or not. No one currently holds her rights, if I've understood correctly.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Be happy for Ochs, she's one of multiple players that wanted out.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was she the one who told Waldrum how to do his job last year?

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    What are the chances she returns to Washington? They could use anyone with a pulse right now

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why? Are there players who are not at all pleased with Waldrum?

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There were at least 8 players that did not want to return to Houston. So far five of them are gone.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Pugh turning pro now, there may be another factor I haven't seen discussed here:

Lavelle has showed really well in her first outings for the NT. Pugh's camp may be worried that her value in the sponsorship world will get diluted.

19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #394 Smallchief, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Rights to Pugh for Horan. Straight up. Washington sweetens the pot by telling Horan she will be the center forward in Washington. Maybe Portland tosses in a sweetener like Mallory Weber, Portland holds the best cards in this situation -- because Washington seems to be an unpopular place to play -- so Horan may be all Washington can get.

That's a trade of a young but tested player in Horan in exchange for possibly the best prospect since Mia Hamm -- but still only a prospective superstar. There's many a slip twixt cup and lip. .

What I don't know -- and is important in such a deal are the atmospherics, especially about Horan. Is she overweight and out of shape? Has she already peaked and is she losing her ambition to excel? Is she a leader and/or good in the clubhouse? It the answers to those questions are favorable to Horan then it might be a good deal for Washington..

Portland holds the best cards in this situation. Because of the owner, Washington seems to be an unpopular place to play. .

20. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with the assertion that Portland holds the best cards. Portland has good cards but isn't willing to play any of them. Assuming there's no deal then Washington "gains" the fact that they don't have to play an even more stacked Portland team with Pugh this season.

I believe Washington holds the Ace here. They should expect nothing less than a starting caliber player and a 1st round pick. I wager there are plenty of other teams in the league that would be willing to make that trade to Washington. If they are feeling generous then they could go for 2 1st round picks and avoid the situation of Portland players not wanting to play in Washington.

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If I'm Washington, Horan for Pugh is not a deal I would take. Nor would I take two national team players. What would be the point when the risk is high that they would either demand at trade or bolt the following season like Dunn? I'd want good young talent that is happy to be there. That means either draft picks or young non-NT talented players.

Challenge on the draft pick front, however, is if there are in fact two expansion teams next season, straight off the bat you know the highest pick you could possibly acquire in the 1st round is 3rd. Portland's natural pick you'd have to assume is 11th or 12th.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Does Portland have any good non NT (none international as well) players that will be happy to be in Washington? The only name I can come up with are Menges and Weber. For Washington I think the need to go the Boston route and just get what the can get and work on making their team a destination spot once again. No good can come from trying to force players to play for a team that they don't want to play for.

Which is why I'm off the opinion that the distribution order which in theory sounds like a good idea will never work. As long as soccer in the US remains inferior to the sport world wide, a draft like system will never work for elite players. In sports like NBA or NFL it works because there's no viable overseas alternative. But for soccer that is just not the case.

cpthomas repped this.
  23. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Best bet for non NT/Int talent is to probably hit up Chicago. I guess the question there is, can a 3 team deal be worked out to get her to Portland. I don't know if I see Dames being someone to pull apart his team to help another team out unless it greatly benefits him in the end. Pretty sure they're also stacked on draft picks for next year for possible expansion protection. Maayyybe NC in that mix as well but I doubt many Portland players want to play for Riley. Chicago could use Pugh probably. NC not really... Orlando has nothing to offer.

And how much reach does USSF have to make something happen if they want Pugh in the US.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hopefully they won't find an agreement and Pugh will end up in Paris or Lyon ;)

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Pugh made this problem for herself. She could've gone pro last year and ended up in Portland right away, as was designed just for her. But now there are no pieces in place to help her land there at all, no real incentive for POR to want her and not even a partially reasonable three-team trade anywhere. I don't blame her for not wanting to go to DC, but you can't blame DC for trying to maximize their draft position in exchange for losing so many players.

France certainly didn't hurt Horan. I know USSF wants Pugh to stay in the US, but if they somehow broker a deal so she lands where she wants, that's an incredibly bad precedent, especially with NWSL really starting to move out from under USSF's umbrella this year.

= = =

re Ochs: if she wanted out, well okay, but I'd be much happier if she had landed somewhere else right away. I want to see her keep playing in NWSL.

Myrtle repped this.