All the stars are gone - 2017 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kernel_thai, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, after their poor first season, I don't think you can blame Orlando for trying a "have a respectable season now, worry about building for the future later" mentality. If TS is eyeing an international player, as long as they aren't from a EURO-bound country, I think it'll probably be a good investment.

2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If it turns out that De Vanna has decided to play this year, then this slot was needed in order to accommodate her. They have 6 slots now, with De Vanna they have 6 international players.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    To be honest I don't mind teams using their 2-4 picks however they think is best. I do feel that consistently moving ur #1 pick is a bad long term investment in a league with a salary cap and no free agency. Not only r first round picks almost always players who fit into the first 14 their initial season but it's a player who is expansion proof.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'll eat my words

Interesting footnote in the linked article:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Don't think Lloyd is happy with splitting time in the midfield at Lyon.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend a good barbecue sauce. Helps with the flavor.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lesson learned for Vlatko in the future.
    Can't waste top picks on players who aren't committed to the NWSL.

10. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Were there any rumors of her signing overseas though? Unless they reach out which I think may have to be through their coach, you cant be sure. Jordan already had strong rumors

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Losing Payne worries me... IMO it makes sense that NT-level players might move overseas, in USA's case due to CBA delays and in CAN's case to hesitancy on NWSL involvement, but especially now that NWSL's minimum salary is $15k I would think that there are very few opportunities for non-NT rookies to make more overseas.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None that I heard of, and certainly not on this board.
    The only rumors circulating were whether she'd represent USA or Nigeria's WNT.
    In hindsight, I'm guessing that could've been a red flag.

13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, how much could AJAX offered?
    They're not known for fielding a powerhouse women's team.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Reading the article, it seems the main deciding factor for Payne was the infrastructure behind the team, not the salary itself. It's not a knock against FCKC's specifically, but all the independent NWSL teams. I think the MLS teams will have a difficult enough time of that, let alone the independents. It's gonna require millions of dollars of investment to compete.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's not bad news. Trust me. I've shot probably 30+ Duke games the last four years and Payne never developed.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Even if Payne never panned out, it's still worse to have effectively thrown away your draft pick. I mean, if this was late round 3 or round 4, probably not a big deal. But this was early round 2. They picked Payne over Campbell, for example. So not even getting Payne when their backup GK is um... sorry, I had to look it up... Cat Parkhill... that's bad.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But that's a different problem. Having picked Payne, she was not likely going to be much of a contributor other than as a practice player. And to be honest, with Barnhardt in form, it's not like Campbell would've been much use other than as trade bait.

18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You know teams need depth, right? Having Payne/Campbell on the bench is better than throwing away your draft pick. I mean, it's obvious that you have a strong disliking of Payne, but how can you think it's better to get nothing out of the 13th overall pick than something? :confused:

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thorns knew that Jordan was headed overseas before they drafted her. They felt she likely was the best forward in the draft, and decided it was worth using their draft pick on her in order to have the chance to sign her in the future if she is willing to return to the US.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    NWSL teams can't afford depth at goalkeeper.

21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assessment of Payne provided me with a sense of consolation.
    Thanks, I feel better now.

It definitely stinks that FC KC lost out on getting something in return for that early 2nd round pick.
    Hopefully, Vlatko will learn from this unfortunate turn in future drafts.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I understand why she was so heavily recruited. She kind of reminds me of Corey Ashe. An undersized speedy striker at the U17 level who never really found the mark in college. Now the development of the pro game on the men's side gave Ashe (and others like Chris Albright before him) the chance to find the position that worked. In Ashe and Albright's situation it was outside back.

The problem there for Payne is that her size becomes a liability on the back line. It's why Molly Pathman (also from Duke) is now retired. While she was a stalwart at outside back (opposite Crystal Dunn) on the U-20 World Cup champions, at the pro level that lack of height becomes a problem. I'm actually surprised at how well Kelly O'Hara has done. But there are always exceptions. If you're a defender, you'll wind up in the center channel at some point - due to rotation, due to the CBs getting pulled out, due to red cards/injuries. While Payne is listed at 5'4", I'm guessing that is with her cleats on.

This is part of the unfortunate situation of being a women's soccer player (or men's rugby player or fencer or whatever else niche sport you want to insert here). Corey Ashe had options to continue developing his game. Yeah, Toni has signed a contract in Europe. I hope it works out for her. But I don't really see where she fit in FCKC's roster.

Sure, it looks like a wasted draft pick. But second rounders are definitely hit or miss.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Then why did/does WNY/NC have 3 keepers and they still haven't waived/traded any (It's been over 8 months since they traded for Rowland... surely they must've decided between her and Eckerstrom by now...)? SBFC also has 3 keepers (now that they drafted/were allocated Sheridan), though I won't be surprised if they waive one of the Carolines. Heck, even talking specifically about Campbell... at the moment, Houston has Lydia Williams and Bianca Henninger under contract in addition to having drafted Campbell. Boston also has 2 keepers and drafted a 3rd.

So I'm not seeing how FCKC having Campbell as a backup is that unreasonable.

LOL. You can say that about every draft round, even first round. Should everyone just completely forgo the draft then cause sometimes picks don't work out? Of course not. If throwing away your picks was so beneficial, then Boston would be the best team in the league by far.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Of course every team has at least two keepers. That doesn't make the second or third one real starter material. NWSL teams don't have the salary budget to pay for two starters - and I see Campbell as a starter.

Every dollar spent on a backup keeper who might see 90 or 180 minutes in a season isn't available to spend on a field player who'll likely/hopefully be a lot more useful than that.

It's an economic issue.

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Duh, that's why I only mentioned the ones with 3. They are not required to carry 3. Every dollar spent on a 3rd keeper who might see 0 or 90 minutes in a season isn't available to spend on a field player who'll likely/hopefully be a lot more useful than that.

I would argue at least half of the teams have backup keepers that are good enough to be starters or at least above average backups. Most teams don't have a 3rd keeper, but of the ones that do, I'd say their 3rd keepers are at least backup keeper quality which is why those teams are so hesitant to drop one.

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, is Campbell a good player? Sure. Is she the best keeper to ever come out of the draft? I dunno about that. I mean, in 2016 everyone was talking about Abby Smith as if she was the next/future USWNT starter. In 2015 everyone was talking about Rowland. In 2014, ok, well there wasn't one in 2014. But in 2013 everyone was talking about Franch. I know, I know, so and so has flaws (or so and so has been injured). Surprise! Campbell has flaws too. Anyway, my point being, until she proves it at the NWSL/USWNT level, she is no different than all the rest. She still needs to earn her spot and a smart team will have a 2nd keeper that they feel confident starting if Campbell doesn't cut it.

DynamoManiac repped this.