All star teams of 1986 World Cup?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Sifting through the Italian magazine of Guerin Sportivo I game across the Allstar 1982 WC team comprised of varios team selections by different publications from around the globe.

They also had another starting team by opinion of a reporter and each player by position.

9196B6F7-BF8C-43AB-927B-6C5BA545642A.jpeg C27D6EE5-9C72-4EF8-8F6F-DD05D9734CF7.jpeg 8084F2B8-FB83-42CB-ABA6-E817BBFB9708.jpeg 9F370A36-F58C-4A6F-B627-40514D568DD9.jpeg

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Peculiar that Platini is so high and also Passarella in some way. I remember Vegan10 saying too that Passarella wasn't so great in 1982 iirc

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    I view Passarella overrated in that tournament, ditto with Ardiles.

I don’t know what the pundits saw in them. Passarella was viewed as a solid leader, great in the air, etc, but his mistiming and thuggish defending was a real problem for Argentina.

I tend to agree with Brian Glanville about Ardiles, he was ‘indifferent.’

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  4. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Guerin Sportivo team of the tournament 1986

C63675F7-251A-4DF5-8E28-835374A8ADB8.jpeg

Gregoriak, comme and msioux75 repped this.
  5. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Gazzetta dello Sport 1986 team of the tournament

B3547954-0BA8-48E2-B450-3A47CF37EACB.jpeg

Gregoriak and comme repped this.
  6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    This is L’equipe’s team after the quarterfinals of World Cup 1990

EC2E5BE0-E0B0-43CE-B6DA-6116CB5EFE86.jpeg

This is their average ratings after the semifinals of World Cup 1990

0D5E49E9-1099-4380-BFC3-F37ED1D4EA17.jpeg

Unfortunately missing the final team but should be similar to the one after the quarterfinals.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maradona gets clearly a free pass. Luckily there were also many sources who did not rate him so high for his volleyballing.

His pass accuracy was woeful.

8. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Guerin Sportivo “Hit Parade” Top 10 best World Cup 1990 players and top 3 worst below.

5AB7E3B3-BCA1-440A-994C-5289AF398799.jpeg

GS best 11 of World Cup 1990 C2A51333-1E5D-4034-A417-7D1013B079F6.jpeg

Gregoriak, comme and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  9. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    World Cup 1990 top 3 best players, according to FIFA journalists

15228DDB-DA2F-44D3-BA47-96C1990284E8.jpeg

1. Schillaci 1,629 points
    2. Matthaus 1,036 points
    3. Maradona 802 points

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Found back the ones by France Football and kicker:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/to...ce-in-wc-history.857945/page-28#post-32718599
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/interesting-best-xi.325564/page-35#post-31895386

La Stampa here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-star-teams-of-1986-world-cup.1979342/#post-26886419

11. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Deporte Gráfico (Bogotá, Colombia)

1990 World Cup best team

18D11976-A859-463B-9C92-F8D15AF134B1.jpeg

Matthaus, best player for them.

Gregoriak repped this.
  12. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
  13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    So thus far the World Cup 1990 best teams from different sources around the world posted here look like this:

Team elected at the same day as the Golden Ball poll was:
    Taffarel; Jorginho, Bergomi, Baresi, Buchwald, Brehme; Donadoni, Matthaus, Scifo; Schillaci, Klinsmann

Above was mentioned by Puck, but I’m not aware of that one and where’s the source ?

El Mundo Deportivo (Spain)
    Zubizarreta; Jorginho, Simon, Baresi, Brehme; Matthaus, Makanaki, Maradona, Gascoigne; Schillaci, Klinsmann

La Stampa (Italy)
    Goychoechea; Kadlec, Kohler, Baresi, Brehme; Donadoni, Matthaus, Giannini, Hasek; Baggio, Schillaci

ABC (Spain)
    Zenga; Bergomi, Baresi, Buchwald, Brehme; Burruchaga,Donadoni, Gascoigne, Matthaus; Klinsmann, Caniggia

Placar (Brazil)
    Goycoechea; Tataw, Baresi, Buchwald, Brehme; Hassler, Matthaus, Gascoigne, Maradona; Schillaci, Milla.

The Associated Press (North America)
    Conejo, Brehme, Des Walker, Baresi, Jorginho, Scifo, Matthaus, Maradona, Michel, Schillaci, Klinsmann.

El Gráfico (Argentina)
    Goycoechea; Bergomi, Baresi, Augenthaler, Brehme; Wright, Matthaus, Gascoigne, Maradona; Klinsmann, Schillaci

L’ Equipe (France) up until the semifinals
    Zenga; Bergomi, Ferri, Hasek, Brehme; Giannini, Maradona, Matthaus, Stojkovic; Klinsmann, Lineker

Guerin Sportivo (Italy)
    Stejskal; Baresi, Parker, Kohler, Brehme; Stojkovic, Alemao, Matthaus, Gascoigne; Caniggia, Schillaci

Kicker (Germany)
    Conejo, Bergomi, Baresi, Buchwald, Kohler; Gascoigne, Matthaus, Scifo, Brehme, Milla, Schillaci

Deporte Total (Colombia)
    Goycoechea; Parker, Baresi, Berthold, Brehme; Gascoigne, Scifo, Matthaus, Stojkovic; Klinsmann, Schillaci

La Prensa (New York, USA)
    Goycoechea: Bergomi-Baresi-Ruggieri-Brehme
    Matthaus-Rincon-Gascoigne-Maradona
    Milla-Schillaci

The above team @Pipiolo based off his memory.

Note: I’m very familiar with this newspaper (I’ve posted some of their works on this thread) since I used to receive it at that time living in New York, but I don’t have that edition with me to corroborate with what he claims.

France Football had ratings but I haven’t seen their team of the tournament.

Pipiolo, msioux75 and Gregoriak repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Really? There are plenty honestly

https://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ddd:010948907:mpeg21:a0204

15. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
  16. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Edit: any other lists compiled that were not added to this thread ?

I’ve got somewhere the Gazzetta dello Sport team but can’t find it at the moment.

17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It wasn't.... The team can be found too in many foreign publications.

It was voted by the same group that voted the golden ball, but without FIFA approval.

Vegan10 repped this.
  18. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #68 Vegan10, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    It was always strange though how Maradona got 802 points and finished 3rd with the bronze ball but did not make it into the first team.

Any thoughts on this ?

I wonder how many were involved to make that team...

Edit: Milla and Baggio end up in the top 6 of the Golden Ball voting poll but are not on the starting team either. But it could be they overlap in the same positions of Klinsmann and Schillaci.

The Maradona case is curious because Scifo is in the starting team but doesn’t make the top 6 in the final poll but gets the nod over him in the midfield. Stojkovic is in the sub group which means he’d get the nod too. Something just doesn’t add up.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think with those kind of votes these things can happen quite often.

It happens with the PFA voting in England. I think one example (this could be wrong lol, but is off the top of my head and I know there is a similar example and some others I have spotted) might be that for 01/02 David Beckham might have been a nominee for PFA Player of the Year (on the shortlist of 6 based on votes for that among all the players) but that Giggs had more inclusions (among the same players) for a place in the PFA Team of the Season and hence was put in that (PIres is shown on the right to make that possible IIRC, while he actually played more on the left - I assume he did get more inclusions than Giggs anyway). Maybe it was even the FWA team (Football writers) but I have a feeling like I say such an example exists around that time, and anyway others have and it's certainly possible when taking votes for single best player and best XIs separately even though from the same selection of voters (in the World Cup case a panel I suppose).

So that would have occurred re: Maradona/Scifo too I suppose. Note that Puck said that the voting for best player was very close, and the top 3 didn't have a big lead of course (I assume the top 6 were also not set apart from the following pack by a lot, although to be fair if the panel was not very big there can't have been a lot of players included if only one was voted for per person which could even mean only those 6 received votes - Baggio did and wasn't in the selection either of course so he must just have impressed a few of the panel a lot while others probably thought his contributions were too limited to put in a team/squad).

I guess you know what I mean anyway (hopefully I'm not rambling too much and becoming unclear!).

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's possible, although all-star teams don't always/often follow this, that Scifo looked more like a true/central midfielder in a best XI too, so Maradona might not have been considered (by everyone) to be an option in the same position. Perhaps. But yeah, a majority could have felt Scifo played better, but of the minority that thought Maradona could have been a few or several who went with him as best player, or close to it (if the panel voted for more than 1 player each and allocated points accordingly which like I say maybe they didn't - maybe Puck has more idea).

EDIT - Sorry, I think there were quite a lot of votes for best player as the points totals might be quite high (if Vegan posted those above, although Puck was not sure enough to post them on the other thread....).

21. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Yeah, it had not been established here until I posted yesterday the final point total where Schillaci does have a significant lead over second place Matthaus. Maradona is not that far away from second place either. Scifo or Stojkovic are not in the top 6 so that puts them out of the equation.

The only thing I could think is they considered Maradona to have played as forward and disregarded him in favor of Klinsmann and Schillaci.

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Or it is just the FIFA again....

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It can be that some voted for the best player and not for the team, and vice versa, but it was the same group of voters. Again: unlike the golden ball this had not 'official' status.

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, it's hard without seeing a breakdown, but that can be one factor but also some individuals preferring Scifo and/or Stojkovic and so putting them in the XI and not Maradona. Both played very well of course, and various selections you've posted in the summary (L'Equipe, Guerin, Kicker, Deporte) have one or both and not Maradona, while others do include Maradona as midfielder (or AM maybe).

I'd be expecting that everyone who voted for Maradona as best player (or in a top 3 maybe) would also put him in their XI too though, so it's the ones who didn't do that and also put Stojkovic and/or Scifo ahead of him in their XI that make the difference I suppose.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, yeah, that would make a difference if it wasn't exactly the same set of voters too.

Rather than adding another late edit, I'll put this thought in this post too:
    It can be, especially as including many AMs and creative/attacking CMs in all-star teams has been commonplace, that quite a lot of the voted XIs from people voting for Maradona as best player (or top 3) might also have included Stojkovic or Scifo or even both (others like Gascoigne/Giannini would be taking votes too of course). So in those cases, Stojkovic/Scifo get no points towards the best player voting, but 1 vote (same as Maradona) towards the best XI voting. Probably the number of voters selecting a single playmaker would not be high. And the number of people seeing Stojkovic/Scifo as among the best 4 midfielders also justifiably high. Then there are the ones who included them but not Maradona (thinking they played better, or sometimes considering them, especially Scifo maybe, more as central midfielder).

I can see how it can happen anyway as differences are inevitable for these sorts of reasons when two different votes are conducted I think, especially if things are not so clear in terms of who the best players were (ie Maradona wasn't consistently brilliant, while Scifo did play some really excellent games).