All star teams of 1986 World Cup?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 7, 2012.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hello,

While the 1982 and 1990 World Cup had many star teams published by important publications, this was less the case with the 1986 World Cup. 'My' own country did not make an attempt because it was far away from the European continent so they reasoned that any team they made would be flawed. Over the years I could also find relatively little from other European countries (no L'Equipe team for example), probably caused by the same major reason.

Is anyone aware, maybe msioux75, of some other all star teams, maybe by South American publications?

Anyhow, this what I have.

The biggest publication from my own country refrained from making a team but did call a few names they deemed as, I cite, "interesting": Maradona, Schumacher, Julio Cesar, Amoros, Edinho, Fernandez, Yakovenko, Arnesen, Belanov, Elkjaer-Larsen.

The Italian sports publications came with a team, the interesting thing is that it is based on the match ratings they made:
    Pfaff; Josimar, Forster, Brown, Amoros; Burruchaga, Yakovenko, Ceulemans, Matthaus; Belanov, Maradona
    Subs: Zaki, Julio Cesar, Alemao, Lineker, Laudrup

Accredited and selected journalists voted for the Golden Ball, which is published here. Over 900 journalists were asked.
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-gb86.html
    [the amounts of points published on rsssf is correct by the way]

About the same group of journalists voted for a team of the tournament. It was organized by Spanish press agency EFE, which had a major foothold in South America. This was the outcome:

Pfaff; Josimar, Julio Cesar, Brown, Amoros; L. Fernandez, Burruchaga, Maradona; Lineker, Butragueno, Valdano
    [this team was published in various publications, including Northern-European ones]

Is someone aware of more published all star teams of this tournament or ratings?

2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I will also post here what I have about other World Cups. It appears that the all star teams posted on wikipedia started to coalesce with the ones I collected since the 1994 World Cup. At 1990WC a all star team vote took place among the journalists who elected the Golden Ball too and Sepp Blatter (then general secretary) made an encouraging comment afterwards. Hence, it seems that since 1994WC these elections got (semi-)official status.

This is for 1990 WC:
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-gb90.html

I have personally not the exact points because sources contradict a bit, probably some typos, but it seems that there was no clear winner and every player was very close to each other in the poll. There was no clear winner or a clear top two, or top three.

Here are ratings published on internet:
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.nl/search?q=1990 world cup

The team elected at the same day as the Golden Ball poll was:
    Taffarel; Jorginho, Bergomi, Baresi, Buchwald, Brehme; Donadoni, Matthaus, Scifo; Schillaci, Klinsmann
    Subs: Conejo, Branco, Walker, Stojkovic, Milla
    [yes, it is right: basically five defenders in the line-up although Buchwald also played as defensive midfielder in the tournament]

Other teams:

El Mundo Deportivo:
    Zubizarreta; Jorginho, Simon, Baresi, Brehme; Matthaus, Makanaki, Maradona, Gascoigne; Schillaci, Klinsmann

La Stampa:
    Goychoechea; Kadlec, Kohler, Baresi, Brehme; Donadoni, Matthaus, Giannini, Hasek; Baggio, Schillaci

La Stampa also noted who were the best performers after the group stage (first three games), based on match ratings.

Goalkeepers: Conejo, Higuita, Taffarel

Right-back: Kadlec, Jorginho, Bergomi

Left-back: Brehme, De Wolf, Maldini

Libero: Baresi, Kocian, Popescu

Stopper: Pecl, Ramzy, Walker

Central midfielders: Alemao, Hasek, Giannini, Vazquez, Michel, Rijkaard, Reuter

Attacking midfielders: Matthaus, Scifo, Maradona

Side midfielders: Donadoni, Lacatus, M'Fede

Forwards: Schillaci, Knoflicek, Skuhravy, Muller, Ceulemans, Klinsmann

[some categories have more names as others because it had more top class candidates in their view - they always had as minimum three names regardless of quality or competition but they cite as justification for expansion the greater amount of candidates]

Ideal team Spanish newspaper ABC:
    Zenga; Bergomi, Baresi, Buchwald, Brehme; Burruchaga, Donadoni, Gascoigne, Matthaus; Klinsmann, Caniggia

Ones who (just) missed out: Zubizarreta, Reuter, Augenthaler, Ferri, Maldini, Kohler, Stojkovic, Maradona, Giannini, Prosinecki, Kubic, Schillaci, Milla, Voller, Savicevic.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can't help on 1986, but for 1990 I have a book in which Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves picked their teams of the tournament:

St John:

Shilton: Baresi, Jorginho, Spasic, Walker, Brehme: Stoijkovic, Matthaus, Hagi; Lineker, Schillachi

Subs: Platt, Milla, Prosinecki, Scifo Gascoigne

Greaves:

Shilton: Baresi, Biyik, Bergomi, Walker, Brehme: Stoijkovic, Matthaus, Gascoigne Lineker, Schillachi

Subs: Milla, Hagi, Alemao, Parker, Giannini

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Indeed, at 1994WC the FIFA took charge through their "technical committee". As mentioned above, at 1986 the leading organizer was a Spanish press agency and in 1990 the Italian press took charge.

I still don't know who made those all star teams between 1930 and 1990 on Wikipedia. Is that once again a retrospective/revisionist one done by FIFA? Same as they did with the Golden Balls? Everything before 1978 is a retrospective Golden Ball.

In 1994 and 1998 they had an expanded list as well, before it was added to the 'official list' at the 2002 World Cup - the 2002 all star team was larger as the two editions before. The 2010WC team was a fan vote.

Anyway, in 1994 this was the All Star Team voted by (pre-selected) journalists:

Preud'homme; Jorginho, Santos, Maldini; Brolin, Dunga, Hagi, Balakov; Baggio, Romario, Stoichkov.
    [this one is the same as on wikipedia]

The expanded list was (in no particular order):

GK: Mihaylov (BUL), Ravelli (SWE)
    DF: Branco (BRA), Lalas (USA), Matthaus (GER), Myung Bo (KOR), Bratseth (NOR), Belodedici (ROU), Ferrer (ESP), Petrescu (ROU)
    MF: Ramos (USA), Dino Baggio (ITA), Redondo (ARG), Caminero (ESP), Schwarz (SWE)
    FW: Bebeto (BRA), Dahlin (SWE), Andersson (SWE), Bergkamp (NED), Batistuta (ARG), Salenko (RUS), Klinsmann (GER), Yekini (NGA), Raducioiu (ROU), Massaro (ITA), Kostadinov (BUL)

The 'FIFA technical committee' was officially chaired by Pelé.

Anyhow, I'm now 100% sure that FIFA started with this 'official' lists at 1994 World Cup. The 1986 and 1990 ones posted above was the same idea (a poll among the journalists who vote the Golden Ball too) but with no FIFA involved.

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1998 World Cup all star team, again headed by an FIFA committee with journalists pre-selected by them:

Chilavert (PAR), Barthez (FRA); Gamarra (PAR), F. de Boer (NED), Roberto Carlos (BRA), Desailly (FRA), Thuram (FRA); Dunga (BRA), Rivaldo (BRA), M. Laudrup (DEN), Zidane (FRA), Davids (NED); Ronaldo (BRA), B. Laudrup (DEN), Bergkamp (NED), Suker (CRO)
    [same as wikipedia]

Expanded list:
    GK: Van der Sar (NED)
    DF: Ayala (ARG), Simic (CRO), Jarni (CRO), Junior Baiano (BRA), Cafu (BRA)
    MF: R. de Boer (NED), Henry (FRA), Cocu (NED), Overmars (NED), Ortega (ARG), Ince (ENG), Asanovic (CRO), Hierro (ESP)
    FW: Hernandez (MEX), Ilie (ROU), Batistuta (ARG), Vieri (ITA), Bierhoff (GER), Owen (ENG), Tore Andre Flo (NOR), Salas (CHI)

[yes, Thierry Henry was selected as midfielder]

msioux75 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I can also post the points for the 1994 World Cup Golden Ball. RSSF does not mention them nor a full list (because that full list was not made public by the FIFA), but this were the points:

1. Romario 2400 points
    2. Baggio 1500 points
    3. Stoichkov 450 points

I had doubts for a long time because of these rounded numbers I read (i.e. not something like 2376 points but exactly 2400 points) but this is what was made public. These official numbers are correct.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-awards.html#gball

For the 1998 World Cup they switched over to percentages.

1. Ronaldo 21.3 %
    2. Suker 10.8%
    3. Thuram 8.8%

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-gb98.html

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It took me an half an hour but I have confirmed something more:

The FIFA made as addition to the all star team an honourable mention for the following names:
    Ravelli, Bergkamp, Yekini, Klinsmann, Lalas, Belodedici.

All were among the expanded list.

Fifa named a few "substitutes", as they called it, as well. The funny thing is that some of them were not on the original preliminary/expanded list:
    Van der Sar, Okocha, Henry, Veron, Owen, Vieri.

Those 'new' names are marked in bold.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    La Stampa 1994 team:

Preud'Homme; Ferrer, Costacurta, Aldair, Maldini; Letchkov, D. Baggio, Hagi, Brolin; Romario, R. Baggio

El Grafico 1994 team:

Taffarel; Benarrivo, Aldair, Maldini, Sergi; Brolin, Mauro Silva, Hagi; R. Baggio, Stoichkov, Romario

Ideal team AFP 1994 (French press agency):

Ravelli; Jorginho, Santos, Maldini, Leonardo; Brolin, D. Baggio, Redondo, Hagi; Romario, R. Baggio

Ideal team ABC 1994:

Ravelli; Nilsson, M. Santos, Aldair, Maldini; Letchkov, Brolin, Hagi; Bebeto, Romario, R. Baggio

La Stampa 1998 team:

Chilavert; Cafu, Thuram, Desailly, Jarni; Davids, Deschamps, Zidane, Petit; Suker, Owen

Ideal team ABC 1998:

Barthez; Thuram, F. de Boer, Gamarra, Jarni; Zidane, Davids, Rivaldo; Owen, Suker, Vieri

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    At the 2002 and 2006 World Cups the role of journalists was minimized or non-existent (they had a subordinate role basically and not really a voice).

For 2002 World Cup they had initially 53 names, which was cut down to 33 and then further reduced to 16 names.

Part of final 16 names (June 28):
    GK: Kahn (GER), Rustu (TUR)
    DF: Campbell (ENG), Hierro (ESP), Myung-Bo (KOR), Ozalan (TUR), Roberto Carlos (BRA)
    MF: Ballack (GER), Reyna (USA), Rivaldo (BRA), Ronaldinho (BRA), Sang-Chul (KOR)
    FW: Diouf (SEN), Klose (GER), Ronaldo (BRA), Sas (TUR)

Part of 33 names (June 24):
    GK: Marcos (BRA), Casillas (SPA), Woon-Jae (KOR)
    DF: Cafu (BRA), Mjallby (SWE)
    MF: Beckham (ENG), Inamoto (JPN), Nakata (JPN), Diop (SEN), Wilmots (BEL)
    FW: Jung-Hwan (KOR), Donovan (USA), Raul (ESP), Vieri (ITA), Larsson (SWE), Owen (ENG), Tomasson (DEN)

Part of 53 names (June 21):
    GK: Buffon (ITA), Chilavert (PAR), Friedel (USA), Sylva (SEN), Lee (KOR)
    DF: Ferdinand (ENG), Miyamoto (JPN), Hong (KOR)
    MF: Scholes (ENG), Butt (ENG), Helguera (ESP), Valeron (ESP), Blanco (MEX), Torrado (MEX), Fadiga (SEN)
    FW: Park Ji-Sung (KOR), McBride (USA), Morientes (ESP), Sukur (TUR), Keane (IRL)

Show Spoiler

The 2002 selections are OK in my view but the 2006 ones were a next step in making a mess of it.

If you are disappointed with this selection, skip the following one

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Al right, for 2006 World Cup the technical committee only officially considered performances in the second round.

An expanded list with between 50 and 55 names existed but was never revealed. I thought it was revealed but inclusions of Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo in the 'big list' were only rumours and never officially revealed. Also Ribery, Grossi, Maxi Rodriguez and a few other good performers were rumored to be on the list.

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal).

Defenders: Roberto Ayala (Argentina), John Terry (England), Lilian Thuram (France), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal).

Midfielders: Ze Roberto (Brazil), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Luis Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal).

Forwards: Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Thierry Henry (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Francesco Totti (Italy), Luca Toni (Italy).

Podolski won the young player award with Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Valencia, Lionel Messi, Tranquilo Barnetta and Cesc Fabregas nominated as well.

I will now start with the most important euro teams I have. If someone has more it would be a valuable addition.

In sum: until 1998 World Cup the journalists had a big stake in the process, since 2002 this role is minimized or non-existent. The 2010 edition also took a fan vote into account, FIFA says (not the case for 2002 and 2006 editions).

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    A few teams for euro80 are posted here.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/the-best-players-of-euro-80.1978543/

I presume that the encyclopedia teams will also feature in upcoming threads that discuss that championship so I won't post these here.

Euro84:

A copy-paste of an earlier post:
    All star team Mundo Deportivo:
    Schumacher (GER); Rednic (YUG), Maceda (ESP), Lerby (DEN), Camacho (ESP); Tigana (FRA), Victor (ESP), Platini (FRA), Chalana (POR); Jordao (POR), Elkjaer (DEN)

La Stampa:
    Bats (FRA); Joao Pinto (POR), Maceda (ESP), Le Roux (FRA), Domergue (FRA); Chalana (POR), Giresse (FRA), Platini (FRA), Tigana (FRA); Elkjaer (DEN), Voller (GER)

Survey among Spanish journalists who were the best performing players of each team (after final was played):

France: Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Bossis
    Spain: Maceda, Arconada, Gordillo, Santillana
    Portugal: Chalana, Jordao, Joao Pinto, Manuel
    Denmark: Elkjaer, Arnesen, Morten Olsen, Qvist
    Belgium: Scifo, Vercauteren, Ceulemans
    Germany: Schumacher, Stielike, Voller
    Yugoslavia: Sestic, Katanec
    Romania: Coras, Rednic

World Cup 1982 winning coach Enzo Bearzot opted for this team:

Schumacher; Amoros, Forster, Morten Olsen, Briegel; Giresse, Tigana, Platini, Scifo; Laudrup, Elkjaer

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Euro88:

Player of the tournament:

1 Van Basten 1250 points
    2 Gullit 578 points
    3 Rijkaard 498 points

There was also an attempt among European journalist to form an all star team selection:
    GK: Bonner
    DF: Sanchis, R. Koeman, Rijkaard, Kuznetsov
    MF: Matthaus, Mikhailichenko, Gullit, Zavarov
    FW: Protasov, Van Basten

Euro92:

Player tournament:

1 Hassler 1438 points [had two goals and one assist in tournament]
    2 Brian Laudrup 472 points
    3 Brolin 412 points

Team voted:
    Schmeichel; Kohler, L. Olsen, Eriksson, Andersen; Hassler, Rijkaard, Bergkamp, Brolin; Povlsen, B. Laudrup

Article notes btw that Van Basten came very close to claiming Povlsen his spot (which the official UEFA team opted for http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=1625178.html#1992+team+tournament ).

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Euro 96:

The UEFA followed the example of the FIFA at the 1994 World Cup and made their own team of the tournament by their 'technical committee'.

GK: Seaman, Kopke
    DF: Latal, Blanc, Desailly, Sammer, Maldini
    MF: Deschamps, McManaman, Gascoigne, Rui Costa, Poborsky, Eilts
    FW: Shearer, Stoichkov, Suker, Djorkaeff, Kuka

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/euro-uefatot.html

They also changed and confirmed a few 'man of the match' designations.

Karel Pokorsky had three "man of the match" ratings and remained the leader. Stoichkov, Seaman and Sammer had each two official "man of the match" designations.

Contrary to popular wisdom, UEFA did not assign a 'player of the tournament' at that time. The journalists did and voted for Dieter Eilts. Until this day this is a ridiculed decision and the most wild stories flow around. It has been noticed that car maker BMW sponsored this vote and the German press delivered as usual by far the most press voices in the tournament. Encyclopaedias have Eilts down as player of the tournament; but some of them wrongly say that UEFA elected him, which is not true.

Anyway, UEFA has retrospectively designated Sammer as player of the tournament but as far as I was able to see, they had no such prize at the tournament itself. The journalists had such an election and voted for Dieter Eilts, unfortunately I don't know who ended second and third in the vote. If someone knows more, that would be massively appreciated.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Euro 2000:

This one certainly had an official player of the tournament, voted by coaches of clubs. It was voted on August 24 of the year 2000 (on a Thursday), on the now defunct "UEFA club football awards."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Club_Football_Awards

It was no surprise that Zinedine Zidane won this vote among coaches.

The all star team was presented during the tournament itself by the technical committee on the 2th of July.

Goalkeepers: Francesco Toldo (Italy), Fabien Barthez (France).
    Defenders: Laurent Blanc (France), Marcel Desailly (France), Alessandro Nesta (Italy), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Frank de Boer (Netherlands).
    Midfield: Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Luis Figo (Portugal), Josep Guardiola (Spain), Edgar Davids (Netherlands).
    Forwards: Thierry Henry (France), Patrick Kluivert (Netherlands), Nuno Gomes (Portugal), Raul (Spain).

It was already hinted on-record by members of the 'technical study group' that Zidane was the best among all names despite his slightly less stellar performance in the final (which he himself admitted by the way), a final which France nevertheless still won.

Still, the official award was elected almost two months later.

[I'm sure that euro92 had not such an official award, I'm 90% sure that euro96 had not such an award, I could not find it in my material or anywhere else]

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I can also confirm that Thierry Henry was the only one in the whole tournament with three official man of the match designations.

I don't know all names who had two man of the match awards but I know that Zinedine Zidane certainly and likely (90% sure) Edgar Davids had also two.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'm a bit confused by the way: UEFA says nowadays that Totti was man of the match in the euro2000 final but various vintage sources state independently of each other that Thierry Henry received the official award. Also old newspaper articles I kept say that. Including the final he had 3 man of the match award, more than anyone else.

Regarding the all star team of euro2000, a condition was that the players played in the knock-out stages. Group stage matches were officially considered (unlike World Cup 2006) but this was a necessary condition they put in place.

For euro2004 also the vote of the fans had a say in the results. This time players eliminated in the group stage were eligible.

Goalkeeper Petr Cech Czech Republic
    Goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis Greece

Defender Sol Campbell England
    Defender Ashley Cole England
    Defender Traianos Dellas Greece
    Defender Olof Mellberg Sweden
    Defender Ricardo Carvalho Portugal
    Defender Georgios Seitaridis Greece
    Defender Gianluca Zambrotta Italy

Midfield player Michael Ballack Germany
    Midfield player Luís Figo Portugal
    Midfield player Frank Lampard England
    Midfield player Maniche Portugal
    Midfield player Pavel Nedved Czech Republic
    Midfield player Theodoros Zagorakis Greece
    Midfield player Zinedine Zidane France

Forward Milan Baroš Czech Republic
    Forward Angelos Charisteas Greece
    Forward Henrik Larsson Sweden
    Forward Cristiano Ronaldo Portugal
    Forward Wayne Rooney England
    Forward Jon Dahl Tomasson Denmark
    Forward Ruud van Nistelrooij Netherlands

On the same day (July 5th 2004) Zagorakis was elected as player of the tournament by the same 'technical study group'.

What strikes me is that journalists became lazier over the years and less attempts to form an own all star squad by accredited journalists were undertaken.

As bonus, I will also write down the assist leaders of each euro tournament since 1980.

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Puck, I thought this thread was about WC86 and WC90 but now you are posting about all different Euros. Back to WC86, I think many great performances are unfortunately forgotten, what stands out is how many goalkeepers shined: Pfaff, Dasaev, Zaki, Carlos Gallo, Fernandez, Bates, Zubizarreta, Larios, Schumacher.

My all-star team:

Pfaff
    Amoros-Julio Cesar-Edinho-Brehme
    Tigana-Socrates-Scifo-Maradona
    Lineker-Careca

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, I also started to post about other tournaments so those who have info regarding those tournaments can add something too. I thought it might be good info or turn out into a good thread (what you think about the opinion of someone like Enzo Bearzot, a bunch of journalists or a magazine is of course another matter).

I did not ask for personal preferences of posters; I asked for tournament-squads, selections or ratings by magazines or noteworthy persons. The opinion of Jimmy Greaves qualifies for that. The personal opinion of posters doesn't (posting it as addition is fine of course).

Show Spoiler
    Back then it was by the way noted that the amount of good/excellent performers was perhaps lower as in the 1982WC but this time there was one player who stood out. It also mattered that it was played outside Europe of course.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Puck, I read what you asked but it doesn't mean I have to follow it, especially since I really don't have any publications from the 80s at my avail (as most people I suppose). Just posting lineups don't shed light on the play and style of the tournament itself, I saw it as a "revanchist" follow-up to WC82, Brazil, France, Germany, USSR and Spain continuing where they left off, with Argentina and Italy, and Belgium and Poland swapping places.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What is the point against keeping threads structured?

Some here have posted old match ratings and other information, so maybe some do have those info. With that in mind I also posted info regarding other tournaments besides 1986WC.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't remember where I read this as it was just after the tournament had ended, but a South American journalist said his all-star team was simple: the Moroccan keeper, the Brazilian defense, the French midfield and the Argentine attack.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is the BS year just like Euro2004 all star team. The (whatever ) committee had difficulty to select a "CLEAR BEST " team, so they simply include too many names in that year!

They should simply take off Toni, Crespo in the forward names for example ..

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, the UEFA does a better job as the FIFA in my view. FIFA left out some of the best performers.

On the other hand, the euro2004 team left out the two men with the most assists: Karel Poborsky (who had three or four assists, depends on how you count) and Arjen Robben (who had three assists).

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    They both are all driven by media ... especially in last 2 decades ...

in otehr hand, the FIFA WPOY list look reasonable than Balllon D;or (again last 2 decades sin first WPOY made)

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The team of the tournament in the German encyclopedia I referred to previously was:

Pfaff; Bossis, Olsen, Briegel; Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Chalana; Laudrup, Elkjaer.

Subs: Bats, Domergue, Joao Pinto, Jaime Pacheco

I know the team only had ten players but that was what was printed.