All Roads Lead to Roma: Bradley in the Eternal City v. I

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Germerica, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $6.5 million a year

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Money talks, and BS walks. What could be easier to understand?

adi21 and onefineesq repped this.
  3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It looks like there are people who think Toronto "tapped up" Bradley. That is, he had no plan to leave, got offered big money, left. That's not at all what Seltzer with his sources, the Roma coach, and his Italian agent are saying. He's MB90, not MB 0-20 plus suspensions and injuries. He wasn't getting enough, and was likely to get even less. Not being content with that is a good thing, not something unthinkable.

Dervos and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't think I was going to have to retire my Bradley Roma jersey so soon. Up on the wall it goes, next to the McBride US

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You'd have to be a dang fool not to take that much money and run.

It's the difference between only having enough to give your kids a house each, or being able to buy each a Beverly Hills mansion with 100 hectares of land to build their own Disneyland for the grandchildren.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as I don't like it, I'm starting to understand this move for Michael.. TFC will be his 6th club in as many years, and 5th country, and with his wife just having a baby - perhaps the constant moving every time things started to not work out was beginning to take it's toll ..... I guess this is a good opportunity for him to settle down, get some consitant time to do what he loves best - play football, and of course let's be honest here, the other main reason..... make some BIG BUCKS even if it means being a big fish in a small pond.... and looking forward to seeing him in action for TFC when they come to Houston next summer.. I do hope though, in the near future, he tries his luck abroad again....

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I don't know if I've ever asked the all-too-frequently-asked questions here (usually a not-too-thinly-veiled insult, which it is not in this case)...but have you played the game?

I may not have gone real far in my athletic career but I was recruited collegiately in both American football and wrestling, and I gotta say, a full soccer game is much more physically demanding than football and is the only sport I've played that reminds me of wrestling.

I've had people give me stick for playing soccer, saying it was a sport for wimps, and my reply has always been, "why don't you come out and play a game?" Strangely they do not...

I know it's a common sentiment, I'm just surprised anybody who watches the game a lot can hold it.

luftmensch and StillKickin repped this.
  8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially when he started playing almost exactly the time that Totti went out injured

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I remember when he left Germany and his options were quite small but he showed what he could do at Chievo, just when many doubted him.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doesn't look like Roma misses Mikey as they just beat Genoa 4-0.

sakibomb523, DCUroma, sXeWesley and 2 others repped this.
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Roma made a big mistake letting Mikey go. He brings balance to his teams. You can have all the sexy players you won't but somebody has to do the dirty work, balance the team and keep possession. Let's see if they regret not making Mikey happier.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  12. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were not going to make him $6.5M/year happier...

Gamecock14 and comoesa repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Does even De Rossi/Totti make 6.5 million?

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Totti is 6.15, but that's after taxes. Not sure what Bradley will end up with after taxes. De Rossi is 8.88 after taxes.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Destro, Pjanic and Gervinho all missed games in that time frame, plus Benatia and Castan both missed the same game. Bradley was the least of their issues, if any at all.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6341 falvo, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Knowing how those two are treated in Rome, they will get even more than Michael will ever dream of. They get revered and recognized wherever they go , freebees , sponsorships , TV ads not to mention everything else that comes along with being a home grown kid playing in Serie A, they are going to be making much more than just their salary. Michael Bradley can walk down any street and only a select few American or Canadian soccer fans will notice him but DeRossi and Totti can't leave their house without being surrounded by a crowd.

17. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Then I'd rather be MB and have fewer freebees and still have relative anonymity.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lolwut? DDR, Strootman and Nainggolan do everything Bradley does in the way of dirty work and possession if not more, do you genuinely believe MB is equal to any of those three, honestly?

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On the other hand had he stayed in Rome, Michael Bradley walking in Piazza del Popolo, Piazza Navona or Piazza di Spagna, would not have anonymity. He may in Toronto though.

20. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    whatt??????

Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Duh?

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    We are a delusional bunch aren't we?

23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    End of thread...its over.

keller4president repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6349 falvo, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    I agree. As Andrea Bocelli says, time to say goodbye.....

Ciao Mike!Arrivederci Roma!

Sempre Forza Roma !

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma... Whatevah.

Dr.Phil repped this.