All Roads Lead to Roma: Bradley in the Eternal City v. I

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Germerica, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bradley. Would have loved to see you stay at ROMA or return to Bundesliga or Spain. It wasn't that long ago that Valencia was interested.

ckl26 repped this.
  2. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my write-up on Bradley to TFC:
    http://www.soccernewsday.com/usa/a/1539/with-bradley-joining-tfc-yanks-not-so-abroad-anymore

Roma went 2-0-3 when Bradley started games for them this season (not 1-0-2 which my editor mistakenly put). There has seemed to be a lot of misconception when it comes to Bradley's time with Roma this year. Injury kept him out for a long stretch and he was a key aspect to the team's rotation. In fact, i'd argue that he could have given De Rossi a hard time yet again this season. Had this transfer not have happened, he probably would have started against Sampdoria and a good performance against them could have led to him gradually finding a spot in the starting 11. Regardless of who he replaced or whether someone like Pjanic possibly moved on, I expected him to find his way back in their starting 11.

ckl26 repped this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    That's right. Both of Harkes' parents are from Scotland, so his kid would be eligible for a UK passport regardless of where he was born.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Obviously Bradley had a completely different take on his upcoming minutes, let alone starting.

5. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time to start a forum for the big American players in MLS. It's fun to talk in depth about our favorite players, but we don't really have a dedicated place to discuss them when they ply their trade in MLS.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It always going to be rough for Bradley starting at Roma but he would get his games. Maybe 1/2 a month and probably 20 mins a match coming off the bench. He was dependable and reliable and with low wages, it's no wonder Roma wanted to keep him. Plus he being a Yank was perfect for their continued growth into the USA.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Flavors of the Month in USMNT N&A is where I've done that in the past.

Tom Collingsworth and FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. It will be interesting to hear from Bradley because I get the feeling he wasnt really looking for a move away from Roma but an incredible offer (in terms of money) came in & in a lot of ways he felt foolish not to take it. That's how I read the situation. I really dont think playing time or his position within the team had much to do with the move but we'll see.

9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, as soon as TFC stepped in the only thing Bradley was likely pondering was where to build his Scrooge McDuck money tower.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Following AS Roma’s 1-0 win against Sampdoria in the Coppa Italia on Thursday, Coach Rudi Garcia sounded off on U.S. internationalMichael Bradley’s decision to leave the Italian giant for MLS club Toronto FC. “It’s a shame Bradley is leaving, but he wanted to go and we cannot keep hold of a player who doesn’t want to be here,” the Frenchman said. “It’s a pity and I understand he wanted more playing time, as it’s difficult to get space in our midfield. We wish him all the best in his new adventure."

"http://www.socceramerica.com/article/55729/garcia-on-bradleys-departure.html

"The arrival of [Radja] Nainggolan at Roma has also contributed to Bradley's choice," [Bradley's] agent explained. "At Roma he never felt like an important player for the team."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/agent-michael-bradley-toronto-fc-162000571--mls.html

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is this thread not closed yet?

12. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's taking the QE2 home and it's taking awhile not to be abroad???

13. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those came from Bradley's mouth though. That's why I want to hear from him. I know the quotes from yahoo come from his agent but I have a very hard time believing he didnt feel "important" at Roma. & sure Nainggolan may have contributed to his decision. I said I dont believe his position within the team had "much" to do with the move. Money was the deciding factor. He may have been more persuaded to simply take the offer from Toronto by Nainggolan's move to Rome. There's nothing out there atm that convinces me he was avidly looking for a move before Toronto's offer. Things can often get very misconstrued when a player leaves a club after all..

14. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    From Holland to Italy, his time in Europe has to be 1 of the best careers for an American.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Seltzer was giving a blow by blow the whole time, and he reported Bradley being unhappy with his playing time and meeting w/ Garcia last week, then Nainggolan coming in last Monday, Toronto made their first approach on Wednesday.

You find it hard to believe he didn't feel important? They kept buying players in his position and paying them much more than him. He's not actually a robot, of course it bothered him. Their actions said they saw him as cheap depth.

matabala, comoesa and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno. Maybe the mods are having a hard time letting go. Dempsey leaves, Bradley leaves...the walls of mom's basement start to close in.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I say we wait until he's officially presented by TFC.

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005

I'm guessing he meant Italy doesn't grant citizenship based on being born in Italy. Luca Bradley has no claim to Italian citizenship.

Dual citizenship is not a problem for Italy or America (although I know the US discourages it, officially).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you sure the US discourages dual citizenship? I don't think so because I got my Italian citizenship though the Italian Consulate on Webster Street in San Francisco CA and have maintained both since after 9/11/2001 when things supposedly became more difficult. Many of my colleagues , friends and relatives have done the same.

Anyway, back to Bradley, he could very well return to Europe as he is still young enough. Not sure if he will though for at least another 2 year though.

21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes. Their official position is they discourage it. They don't disallow it and there is no active disapproval (I did say in my post it is not a problem to have dual citizenship for America). The reason they discourage it is because potentially they cannot help you if you find yourself in trouble in another country. Basically, they don't endorse it.

My wife is Italian and has recently gained US citizenship, my kids are dual citizens, and I qualify for Italian citizenship, but have not pursued it.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6322 falvo, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Hmmmmmm. Never knew that. Well I'm sure she or we won't have any problems unless we pull an Amanda Knox stateside! :)

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm working on getting citizenship for a Euro country and haven't encountered any issues at all.

Also, and word on if Mikey has a buyout clause in his contract? I'd hope he left himself an escape route of things go south or aren't what he hoped it would be. I could definitely see him wanting to go back to Europe at 28.

24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

I really, really hope so

25. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One semi-"Up-side" about the relatively low MLS salary scales is players will be more likely to chance a trip to lower league (but decent-paying) European leagues to prove their mettle and perhaps work their way to "higher" leagues....