All Our Youth are On Loan to You - The Chelsea Youth and Reserve Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, May 12, 2015.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I doubt it, but I'm a cynic at this point regarding our youth policy.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually I share that stance (still mad about the Ake sale) but I'm tipsy and that's making me optimistic.

Blueallthru repped this.
  3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tomori is starting for Michael Hector today who is out suspended. Aina is also starting at right back for Hull.

4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn't catch the England match but all the buzz is that RLC was man of the match for the home side. Kudos to him (and grats also to Tammy for his debut though not as impactful).

Hopefully this pushes RLC to progress and become a useful player for us at some point in the future.

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was really good, I don't have any clue whether he'll be a regular player for Chelsea but he has class a decent team will want him.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga likely to get the start for the US vs Portugal.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    honeslty RLC has impressed me more on a bad team the Bakayoko has on a good one so far this year. RLC is technically much better than Bakayoko. but thats a skill level, that's not understanding of systems or roles which may be where Bakayoko has the edge. they both need to improve and work at different things. RLC recently made comments that one of his influences was Ballack, and that he was told to watch his games growing up because of how he commands the midfield and bosses the game. if he can really channel that it will be great. and a good showing for England just legitimized his level to someone like Roy Hodgeson who now i think will be even more compelled to play him as playing him looks less like giving a youngster a chance and more like relying on a talented player that needs polishing.

but really, people should be watching RLC at palace this year. basically everything positive that happens in that team is him or zaha. he's managed to stand out significantly and has looked better consistently that we ever saw from him in the chelsea senior side in his small and spaced out appearances.

Blueallthru and cokeyounut repped this.
  8. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Have to agree with Ninja on RLC & Bakayoko. Based on this year's performances, RLC has been the more impressive of the two. While Bakayoko is getting better with more and more game time and seems to be growing into his role, I couldn't see Ruben giving the ball away as carelessly as he has in games this year, especially if he would be playing at the level he has shown at Crystal Palace. Seems like Baka has gotten a free pass at times tbh - a lot of careless passes and unnecessary touches giving away possession. He's not been poor by any means, but he has had plenty of mediocre moments

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    We're comparing two different types of player. Baka gives us more energy, pace and the ability to press opposing teams. Loftus Cheek is more of a luxury player, more similar to Fabregas plus the ability to dribble and hold the ball, but lacks the dynamism that Baka has. I think we should really be comparing Loftus Cheek against Fabregas rather than Baka.

Worth noting that Palace's only win of the season came without Loftus Cheek.

10. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    saying that just makes me think you haven't actually watched CP play that much this season. RLC isn't the problem.

as for the player comparison, the intention was never to directly compare Baka and RLC as players or styles. that's not what we've been discussing. if anything, i think the argument has been made that if they both reach their potentials they could be good complements to eachother.

as for the fabregas comparison, i'll just disagree. he can be an AM for sure, but luxury to me implies you have to trade off any sort of work-rate or mobility, that they are only there to create and link and that's all you can expect. RLC has played as a holding mid or box-to-box mid just as much as an attacking mid through the course of his development. i think you'll see him as an attacker more at this stage as managers have wanted to put a solid platform behind an inexperienced player.

Blueallthru and cokeyounut repped this.
  11. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They’re both closer to box-to-box mids at their best positions. RLC may be a little more offensive-minded while Bakayoko may be a bit more defensive, but they’re ideally playing in very similar positions on the field. Bakayoko is not well-suited to a purely holding/defensive role, as we all saw while Kante was out, and RLC is quite mobile going forwards and backwards so putting them at two completely opposite ends doesn’t hold weight for me. I would liken them to two halves of Yaya Toure in his prime at City - they both have shown long, bursting runs forward to be a huge part of their offensive output, but Loftus-Cheek’s game lies further on the offensive end of the spectrum with a focus on forward passing and running while Baka is very well-equipped for aerial duels and destroyer-like tackling. They’re honestly the two most similar mids in our ranks though imo

But yes, as Ninja said, not necessarily trying to compare their roles too much, was just focusing on their performances so far this season. They could certainly complement each other playing together in the future. A midfield three of RLC, Bakayoko, and Kante sounds pretty good if they can both reach their potential, not to mention how physically strong that trio would be

Ninjatend0, Yahtzee and Blueallthru repped this.
  12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mason Mount was man of the match against Lazio today.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dermot Drummy passed away today. He was 54.

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our youngsters are still alive in the EFL trophy and into the semi-finals.

I still dislike that they allow academy teams to participate but it's a good chance for our youth to play competitive matches. We just knocked out Oxford 3-0 having dispensed with Portsmouth and MK Dons in prior knock out rounds.

We are the only academy side left and semi finals played week of Feb 26.

Final would be at Wembley on April 8.

16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Been following this a little online. We seem to be pretty dominant.

Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're a better man than I then. I've been distantly aware but dip into it every now and then.

It will be interesting to see how many fans would attend a Wembley final from our side. Last season they got 74k which is no small feat.

In our QF we had 2.7k at the bridge and over 1k were away fans.

18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kids frustrated. I get that.

20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's a child and acting out using the only constant in his life - the warming glow of social media.

21. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He seems extremely bipolar as far as his feelings towards the club go. He posted the frustrated Instagram post back in the Fall, then he was completely committed to his future at the club and his dream, signed a new contract, and now he goes and does this when he's loaned. I get he's frustrated at his lack of playing time, but this all looks quite unprofessional on his end, especially after signing the new contract. Think the Celtic move will be great for his development for what it's worth, and it being long-term will give him the best shot at coming back and staking a claim with the first team here. Hope he improves mentally though

22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I miss social media back in the days when Darren Bent posted about his frustration with Spurs.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i guess we talk about Bats here for the time being.

anyway, he started for BvB today on FS1. scored with basically his first clear chance, scored another but was called offside (he was).

has to be said his linking hasn't been great and passing has left something to be desired, but he knows how to get in positions to score. basically he's had a game that is exactly him so far. but if he can use this time to develop further it will only be good all around.

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Bats scored twice and Shuerrle scored one. :)

Bats will be Lukaku #2...buy a promising forward, loan him, sell him.

25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bats fits what they need. He'll be successful there. I watched the match, he wasn't perfect, but he puts himself in the positions you want your center forward in. And he generally puts those chances away.

Part of our problem is service to our forwards. Morata can get played out of a match with our current style and setup. Often Hazard gets deeper and deeper to collect the ball and leaves Morata isolated. Bats has mostly crappy holdup play, but again, he's a poacher.

cokeyounut repped this.