All Blacks Haka?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Jun 30, 2004.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you saw my thread about the Australian "Waltzing Matilda". But in the same spirit, here goes. Does anyone know the words to the All Blacks Haka? If yes, could you post it here (in original Maori, as well as in translated English)? I understand it originated from a Maori war dance. I have to say, in all of international sports I've never seen anything as spirited/passionate/energetic/beautiful as the Haka. Sometimes, I tune into All Blacks matches only to watch it live. :) BTW, I'm not necessarily an All Blacks fan. From the sport of Rugby Union perspective, I'm a neutral supporter.

Also, if there are any links to pictures/videos of the Haka feel free to post here as well.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I can't help you with the words, or anything else in your life for that matter, but I love the Haka and how other New Zealand sports do it too. The best is the basketball team, who are nicknamed the Tall Blacks, appropriately enough.

3. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YooHoo, Craig! You made my day, mate. To speak in American: You're da man!!! :D

5. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    No worries.

The other Islander teams do similar war dances, but there is nothing like the All Black one !!

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    We had the Tall Blacks in San Jose for an exhibition a few years ago...Andrew Gardiner of the Tall Blacks played 4 years at SJSU and brought the Tall Blacks in for an exhibition after he graduated. They did the haka before the game...our crowd went wild and our team was a bit intimidated. It was great...

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the All Whites (the New Zealand national soccer team) does the Haka. They're out of the world cup qualifiers, losing out to Soloman Islands for the right to have a playoff against Australia. I think they need more than the haka to intimidate their opponents.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I thought I saw that before the NZL/USA friendly a while back...

That was sure a shock result seeing the All Whites go out so early. I thought they were turning the corner and ready to put a good push on the Socceroos.

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you there in person, or did you see it on TV? I watched that match on ESPN, and don't remember seeing any haka. Or maybe their version isn't as intense as the All Blacks, so I barely noticed it.

Yes, really surprising about Soloman Islands (I guess, now we're in the wrong forum for this conversation). But it means Simon Elliot, Ryan Nelsen won't be away from MLS for long, and their club(s) are happy about it.

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I thought I saw a TV snippet...I could have been wishful thinking...

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I watched the Pacific Islanders haka yeseterday against the Wallabies. I have to say this was the more authentic version of haka I've ever seen, compared to the All Blacks. I'm certainly looking forward to when the Pacific Islanders meet New Zealand next week. Nothing like 2 Hakas going against each other to open up the match!!!

There were many controversies in the match, but that topic belongs to another thread.

12. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Yep, the PI's got their quota of heads and went home ! :rolleyes:

Next week should fulfill your wish (of two competing Haka's) when the PI team plays the All Blacks. :)

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I can hardly wait! Only 24 more hours to go for the battle of the Hakas!!!! I'll be awake, but my record button will be ready as well.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Teams generally have their own versions of the haka. The Black Ferns (Women's Rugby) and the NZ Maori had their own forms of the Haka. We did chant for the Maori to give us the All Black Haka after they won the Churchill Cup.

They were only happy to do it.

15. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I forced the whole family to stay up just for the duel of the Hakas and it was worth it. I'm hoping to transfer the tape onto a DVD sometime soon. I stayed up till 2:30 AM for the football that followed, and it was well worth it (update in a separate thread).

16. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Fiji, Tonga, and Somoa all have their own Haka-style war dances. Did the PI team use one of those three or was it an original composition?

17. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a war dance. The same one they used against Wallabies last weekend in Adelaide. It involved one of their tribal (Maori ??) chiefs, but I don't which nation he was from. Since I don't know the differences between individual Hakas for Fiji/Tonga/Samoa, I couldn't tell you which one did the combined team's Haka resemble. The words for it were certainly different from the All Blacks version (no Ka mate', ka mate'...).

BTW did these 3 nations have their individual hakas in RWC 2003? I don't remember paying attention to that during the World Cup.