All About Yanks Abroad Catchall Thread 2016/17

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #53 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    That's how I read it, but offhand I couldn't guess which specific cases of interest this might apply to. There's a thread in YNT you might want to post this in:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/kids-who-arent-citizens-arent-close-and-immigration.1831047/

freisland repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IANAL, but it appears to apply in pretty narrow circumstances.

SCOTUS didn't strike down the law and that is what is needed going forward. But it looks like the higher standard will be applied going forward rather than the more lenient one:

Not everyone born abroad to a U.S. citizen automatically becomes a citizen themselves. Rather, at the time of Morales-Santana’s birth, the child of a citizen and a non-citizen born abroad is granted American citizenship only if their citizen parent “was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years.”

This residency requirement has since been reduced to five years, and two after age 14.

Federal law, however, provides an exception for unwed mothers who are U.S. citizens. They can transmit citizenship to their children after “only one year of continuous physical presence” in the United States.

Unlike most equality suits, Morales-Santana involves a law that applies a relatively harsh rule in nearly all cases, and a more lenient rule in relatively few cases. Congress clearly intended the 10-year rule to be, well, the rule, and the 1-year rule to be the exception.

Under these unusual circumstances, the Court concludes, the proper course of action is to apply the harsher rule universally, rather than rewriting the law to apply the more lenient rule more broadly. That’s bad news for Morales-Santana, as it is bad news for child born abroad to unmarried American mothers for the foreseeable future.

https://thinkprogress.org/scotus-immigration-gender-bf65cebccf9d

Based on this interpretation and until Congress acts, we'll have fewer overseas births eligible for citizenship rather than more.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Might as well mention because why the hell not that Memphis Depay is now engaged to one of Steve Harvey's daughters, Lori, which might make him an eventual Yank by marriage and their children Yanks by birth.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  7. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    I have 2 YA from Bucknell - I don't see a thread for either - but that's probably just me...

Sebastian Blickman at BK Frem ( Denmark Division 2) 1995
    http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32100&ATCLID=209244396
    Joined Frem June 1st 2017 http://www.bkfrem.dk/default.asp?id=19&spillerid=881

Zack Rockmore at Middelfart (MG&BK) also (Denmark Division 2) 1994
    http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209611495&DB_OEM_ID=32100

Both USA YA and according to Transfermarkt both current

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Seem like they should have threads if they don't!

Good names on those buys.

9. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    I cannot find a thread on this guy!

Javan Torre Howell (23yo) from Santa Monica Ca. - who was with Ventura County Fusion, played yesterday for FSV Frankfurt along side Kouami Dalmeida in a friendly (against Aachen).

So he has played for the US U20 a couple of times - but like I said can't find a thread for him

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of Torre playing professionally at any level (abroad or domestically) since his college/U20 days.

11. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Just noticed that Mevlan Lebiti (Bridgeport, Conn) has left Kaiserslautern U19 and joined Elversburg II in the German lower leagues....don't see a thread for him....but it could be me!

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    DC_Dave repped this.
  14. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Winoman, Eighteen Alpha and BostonRed repped this.
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure where to put this, but I wanted to say that Soccerway's new design is an utter travesty and makes the true YA aficionado's life more difficult.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #66 Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Haven't looked at it yet. Sounds great.

Edit: Gonna try this Google search to find American players:

site:us.soccerway.com/players/ USA 2018 passport

It's not perfect. Hopefully the "2018" captures players who are active this season.

Winoman repped this.