All About Yanks Abroad Catchall Thread 2015/16

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks. Subbed to that thread. Yes! That was him.

He actually looked pretty good when he played for La Paz FC in the Libertadores against their mexican rivals. Very tidy touch. Good for him. Thanks for the update!

3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howler magazine has started a new, regular Monday feature called "Monday Minutes". It is a very thorough summary/listing of all the YA and their play from the weekend just past. Here's the first installment, from this past Monday:

http://www.howlermagazine.com/monday-minutes-02-01-2016/

PANDEMONEUM repped this.
  4. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GREAT FIND.
    thanks.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the story on Parfitt-Williams citizenship?

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Turns out Zak Boggs was a YA of sorts:

Boggs, one of the Riverhounds newcomers signed to bolster the offense, has had a unique six-year pro career. He walked away from his spot with MLS' New England Revolution to accept a prestigious Fulbright Scholarship to do medical research at England's University of Leicester.

Boggs wasn't ready to give up soccer, however, even though his student visa didn't allow him to play professionally in England. He spent time with Barrow Town — a small club playing in a regional league in England's 10th division — and began playing futsal — a variant of soccer played on a smaller field, usually indoors — while focusing on his research.
    http://triblive.com/sports/riverhounds/10025210-74/boggs-riverhounds-england

Signing report:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/barro...lete-signing-of-international-duo-706486.html

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A rundown of NYRB2's preseason roster includes this interesting player:

Jeremiah Debrowski (20)
    A defensive midfielder by trade, Debrowski has played professionally for clubs in Germany, France, Serbia, and Poland. Born in Berlin to a French-American mother and a Polish father, Debrowski has featured for Poland's U16/17 teams and recently played for Znicz Pruszkow in the Polish Second Division and FK Mladost Lucavi in the Serbian First Division.
    http://www.onceametro.com/2016/3/16/11219614/breaking-down-nyrb-iis-preseason-roster

Transfermarkt has him as a '95:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jeremiah-dabrowski/profil/spieler/345464

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York-born Cayman TOGASHI scoring
    711044133670879235 is not a valid tweet id

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip about Svet Kozak:

His first venture overseas to become a professional soccer player in Europe didn't go as well as he'd hoped. After helping the Bears win their first state championship since 1966, Kozak left Norwalk High prematurely to see if he could make it as a pro.

Norwalk head coach Chris Laughton didn't want him to leave.

"To be honest, I tried to talk him into graduating high school first," he said. "Svet was a great student with a 3.6 cumulative GPA and he was on the right path to graduate with high honors. I thought the opportunity would be there for him to go to college. Even though I wanted him to stay, I understood the lure for him to go over there."

Kozak trained with professionals in Poland but never signed a contract. Had he signed, he wouldn't be able to play collegiate soccer and the chance to play at Monroe would've gone by the boards.

As it turned out, though, the experience made him a better goalie in the long run.

"I got to see firsthand the level of soccer in Europe and what I needed to work on and improve," he said. "I'll bring that to Monroe and wherever I go on after that."
    http://www.thehour.com/sports/boys-...cle_72b631fb-1815-5c30-b350-9bbd85565844.html

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

[Jason] Old, 37, began studying Spanish in college, earning a bachelor’s degree in Spanish Literature from North Carolina State University and a master’s in Latin American, Caribbean and Latino Studies from the University of South Florida.

Old spent a few years in Honduras as a semi-professional soccer player, an experience that prompted him to co-found a charity, CAN Futbol Foundation (or CANFF), in 2008.
    http://www.theledger.com/article/20160327/NEWS/160329618/1326?p=2&tc=pg

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are American owners of/investors in English clubs so hated?

Is it because they want to run clubs at a profit? In that's the case they clearly don't understand how English football works. Kraft says he decided not to buy Liverpool because there is no salary cap.

Glazers
    Hicks and Gillet
    Sisu
    FSG
    Kroenke
    Lerner
    Ellis Short (though if Roy Keane doesn't like him he's probably OK)

EPL
    17 Norwich
    18 Sunderland
    19 Newcastle
    20 Aston Villa

Championship
    19 Fulham

20 Bristol City
    21 Rotherham
    22 MK Dons
    23 Charlton
    24 Bolton

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Logging this story about a Florida player (Bolivian-born, so maybe not a citizen) named Sebastian Joffre:

In his young career, Joffre already has played the game at a high level. This past summer Joffre was selected to play with the U17 team of the Chicago Fire, from Major League Soccer, in a tournament in Mexico. He also played with the Fire in a U19 event in Kansas City.

"It was a great experience playing with them," Joffre said. "It helped me a lot, playing against faster (players) and teams that play different than they do in the U.S."

Joffre is in the process of exploring colleges. However, he said he might go pro after high school and play internationally.
    http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/hi...-2ee25eaa-277f-5a0c-e053-01000-374277871.html

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  21. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Idk if this is the place to say, but Jordan Older just followed me on Twitter. :D

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's as good a place as any I suppose.

He's still active in the game and has helped some young, under-the-radar types get opportunities overseas.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is probably NOT actually true...

St. Andrew’s School has hired Nick DeProspero as the new head coach for the boys varsity soccer team. For the past two years, DeProspero has taught and coached at the middle school level and will continue in his role as a middle school science teacher for the private school on Wilmington Island.

DeProspero played four years of soccer at Hampden-Sydney College, an NCAA Division III school. He served as team captain his junior and senior years. After college, he played professional soccer in Germany’s Bundesliga.
    http://savannahnow.com/sports-high-...st-andrews-hires-boys-soccer-coach-deprospero

Certainly possible he played in Germany at some level, though I don't know more about it.