...all about PUMAS v. atlas (pre-during-post) R...

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by franco, Aug 1, 2006.

1. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...not sure how pumas would do in this game...

...futbol media has said pumas looks ok and at least on paper it seems we had a nice pre-season...but they also said atlas looked fine against boca...

...nice against penyarol 3 of our refuerzos scored cuz' it should give them confidence...

...so is kinda hard to predict what would happen in the first 5 games or so...but i think based on the pre-season results and if we follow the same logic, pumas should at least get a tie at jalisco...against atlas we usually see pretty good games...

...but then again who knows cuz' tuca had said he was gonna risk only the necessary given the team's situation of needing points...

...quiza no mucho espectaculo para pumas in general this season...

...que sean efectivos y salgamos de la porcentual, asi tambien estoy seguro la liguilla llegara solita...

...con todo pumas!!!!!!!...:cool:

...btw, game won't be live, but i think the cool thing is that no torre de jalisco on this one (...a huevooo!!!..)...game starts at 7pm pacific...

2. Pumas90

Pumas90 Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what about in mexico,will it be shown live there?

3. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...not sure, but i am sure it will be live down there...i am assuming you are not down in mexico either, are you?...

4. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    8:45 PM on saturday is the regular atlas time, so I am not to upset about a 15 minute delay. Besides, it will be with televisa commentary or F. Schwartz.

5. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Yep its on live here, on galavision, I believe its called, anyway in the DF its channel 109 on cablevision, no idea about Sky, and I'm pretty sure its available without either.

They also have Atlante v Monarcas and San Luis v America before, too.

6. Pumas90

Pumas90 Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no i'm not but i have sky and thanks Disco Dale.galavision is 109 on sky too

7. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
  8. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What Tuca is facing with Pumas

So apparently Tuca wants the team to focus on ball posession. Its obvious to anyone who has seen the team play after the departure of Kikin that a lack of goals has been the problem and not possesion of the ball. However this season we have a huge gap in the defense with Beltran leaving. This is going to be pretty tough and Tuca's facing a number of issues here:

1. Avoiding relegation. The main issue at this point. 2nd to last place. However it is more complicated than simply just getting points. There are various gaps in the team that need to be filled and bringing in new foreign refuerzos and a new coach doesn't seem to make things any easier.

2. Scoring goals. A main factor which has contributed to this whole mess in the first place. Since Kikins departure we haven't been able to find a reliable forward to score the goals we need. Having Parejita score more goals than our foreign marksman was quite sad. Speaking of which, Marioni was a joke and the other Brazillians and Argies we pretty lame as well. I liked Diego Alonso towards the end of his run, despite the fact that he was a poacher he finished the job. Too bad he left. I'm not necessarily convinced with Reinaldo although just like the other guys, I hope he succeeds for the good of the team.

3. Getting the mids to be more creative. One of the reasons the forwards are not scoring is not simply because of their incompitence, it is also because the midfield isn't really connecting with them. All the basically do is cross the ball into the box in an open play and do a short cross during corners. Its obvious that they need to switch things up and be more creative during the corners and take a few long range shots in the open plays.

4. Refurbishing the defense. Like I said, Beltran left a huge gap. Thankfully we still have Veron but Im not sure Sideshow Bob can handle working as a central. He looks clumsy, Maza status. But we still have good young players like Jehu Chiapas and Hector Moreno who have proven themselves.

Overall I think what Tuca should worry about the most is getting the forwards aquainted with the mids in order to have the offensive unit be more effective. Just score some goals and win many games damn it ;)

9. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    Re: What Tuca is facing with Pumas

...i think our medios were creating chances last season...as you mentioned b4, pareja scored important goals and pushed the team forward ok, so did leandro, galindo, and toledo...

...we need our forwards to put it in...that is for sure, so hope for the best in our many newbies up front for this season...i also liked alonso, too bad he left, the boy had garra...

...i am not too worried about our defense and pikolin to me is a better player than maza...you already mentioned a couple more players who can defend well...we are ok there...

...i am just a little worried the game may not be flashy, but hell, as long as we get out of this hole i am down to make things ugly but secured and not pretty and risky...just hope we don't be overly secured 'cuz that is also dangerous...so i hope when pumas scores a goal and we sit back to defend it, we better have fast people to counter and score as well as a compact team to defend the lead...:cool:

10. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ...i think our medios were creating chances last season...as you mentioned b4, pareja scored important goals and pushed the team forward ok, so did leandro, galindo, and toledo...

Right but what Im going at is that it was the same thing over and over again. Simple crosses into the box. Im talking about sending some through balls, having the forwards make runs to split the defence, taking out opposing defenders and laying it off in the box for the forwards to score.

...we need our forwards to put it in...that is for sure, so hope for the best in our many newbies up front for this season...i also liked alonso, too bad he left, the boy had garra...

Mosco that

...i am not too worried about our defense and pikolin to me is a better player than maza...you already mentioned a couple more players who can defend well...we are ok there...

He might be but not much better. The guy worries me sometimes. But again we have to get the defense to play as a unit, the noobs werent necessarily starters last season with the exception of Chiapas for a few games. So they got to get acquainted and on par with the rest of the team.

...i am just a little worried the game may not be flashy, but hell, as long as we get out of this hole i am down to make things ugly but secured and not pretty and risky...just hope we don't be overly secured 'cuz that is also dangerous...so i hope when pumas scores a goal and we sit back to defend it, we better have fast people to counter and score as well as a compact team to defend the lead...

Well thats the thing. Chances are it wont be flashy and they wont be countering as much. But we dont want that possesive style of play to catch them off guard with a good counter via the other team. that would just be brutal.

11. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i still think our medios (at least the ones i mentioned specifically) did it ok and it was the forwards not finishing...so we agree to disagree on this one i guess...lets just wish for the best this season...what is your prediction against atlas?...:confused:

12. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I think we have had a problem with being unable to hold onto the ball, and they seemed to work on this last season.

Clearly goalscoring has been a big big problem, but look at these stats:-

Apertura 2005:- scored 17, conceded 34 (16 pts)
    Clausura 2006:- scored 15, conceded 16 (22 pts)

Clearly a big problem was the amount we conceded, and we made huge progress with that, but also we clearly need to score more:- now with Beltran leaving, and no replacement I am very worried that we may start conceding too many again. As for all the foreign players, I actually thought a lot of Cardetti, thought it was a shame he left, I felt he had more to offer.

I also liked Diego Alonso a lot, last seen, last season, at Real Murcia, but as far as I could see, not really playing. I actually wrote to Phil Ball about him, but with no response. Hang on, found some stats, last season he started 6 games, played 907 mins, got 4 yellow cards, and scored 2. Think he would have been better off with us, to be honest.

Defensive, obviously, is a whole team responsibility, and we have made progress, but I really would be very concerned about this, and equally, as you suggest, going forward is also a whole team responsibilty, as long as the new lads start to click together, we shouldn't have a problem here, I believe, we have players in the middle of the park who CAN create, lets hope they do.

13. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm not really sure, hopefully they'll win but I haven't seen the team play with the new refuerzos. I'm hoping the preseason reflects what the regular season will be though.

14. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ouch, defenitely need to work on scoring there but at least we can see that the team vastly improved defenseively from one season to the next. Hopefully the defense can pull it together without Beltran.

Its true that he did not get much of a chance but the little I saw from him wasn't really convincing. Although he did look better out there than Marioni.

Indeed, whyd we let him go?

We just have to hope for the best. Ferretti better get these guys to click together like you said and get the forwards to finish.

15. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    With regard to Cardetti:- OK, I agree he didn't really look 100% convincing, but didn't really get a fair chance, and (if I remember rightly) most of his goals for us were winners.

He struck me as the sort of player who knows where the goal is, and will always score... whereas Marioni is more of a spectacular confidence player, when it works its great (as we all know), but when it doesn't, when his confidence is not sky high, when he's not right on top of his game....its horrible to watch.

16. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How many goals did he score? 3 maybe, I'm not really sure but to me he looked like a player who would work with the ball and try to create opportunities for himself rather than being a poacher like Marioni would be most of the time. The guy deserved a better chance but theres really nothing we can do now. Although come to think of it, if we would have kept him and Diego Alonso I think they would have formed a good pair up front, oh well.

17. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    good point, found some stats, it says he played in 16 games, which surprises me, but mostly as sub, 756 mins played, 32 shots (19 on target), caught offside 6 times, and scored a total of 4 goals. What is also interesting, backing you up, is that he had no assists at all. Any idea where he went? Did you know he scored exactly the same number of goals for River Plate as DiSteffano? (49).

Anyway, what do you think we can expect from Atlas... Do you think, as I do, that the starting 11 will be the same as we saw v Peñarol? I would rather see Morales than Íñiguez, but not sure Tuca will agree.

18. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i hope we see a good game tonite...and hopefully nobody comes in here to let us know what the score is ahead of time since there would be a 15 min delay...so if anyone read this, please wait on the result if you are watching it live...atlas-pumas had been very dynamic games in the past but who knows how tuca would like pumas to play it, today we will define how conservative he wants to be...

...i would also like to see more of morales, but dont mind seeing him as sub and coming in the second as it has been in general...he plays good off the bench...i am not very convinced about inyiguez but hopefully he plays good this season and scores his chances...if not, as long as he contributes in other areas i am ok with that...but the scoring opportunities he has to finish them...

...we probably see the starting 11 being similar to one in the penyarol game...

...vamos pumas!!!!...:cool:

19. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure he went back to Argentina but I don't remember which club. He could have been more useful but thats all in the past.

Probably although I also believe Morales is a better player who has more going for him than Iñiguez. Whats scaring me a bit is that Atlas looks like they got some real firepower with Rodallega and Villa. And our defense isn't exactly at its best. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

20. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...you are right about that one, either team has to be alert for the first 30 min. of the game or so...that is why every team has to take advantage of the first games on the league since is the time teams are not cohesive, so i hope pumas takes advantage of that as well...i hope is a good game...i have my eye on scocco, hope we use him well, i hear he can play forward and midfield...

...gooooyyyaaaa, universidad!!!....

21. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    starting line-up

bernal
    castro
    palacios
    velarde
    veron
    augusto
    lopez
    sancho
    gonzalez
    inhiguez
    scocco

22. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...medio tiempo...

...defense, our left side bad, that is where they scored from...velarde is going up too much and sometimes does not come back in time, but he has done better things when he is in the front than inyiguez has...picolin, veron, and castro ok...castro got burned by guardado, he crossed it to villa who then missed the 2-0...atlas wings are causing us trouble, especially on the left side...

...midfield ok, leandro ok as almost always, sancho solid, pareja doing his thing well...it seems that we are having only 3 people in the middle...sometimes scocco helps them sort of like an attacking midfielder, he has not done much, but i feel when our middfield gets him involved more he will definetly do better things for pumas...

...inyiguez on the left has no game...bring morales in...gonzalez, missed a clear goal already however it was called offside anyways...

...velarde is an iffi as far as getting subbed since he has added up well on the left offensively...i think tuca should let inyiguez go and bring in morales, while keeping velarde on that side as well but not letting him go so much to the front...:cool:

23. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...not enough garra, creativity, and efficiency...

...pareja run out of gas...

...no forwards...

...morales did not do much, but did better than inyiguez...

...we lost, no excuse...:mad:...but we sure had the ball, as tuca wants it...

24. fabled1

fabled1 Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How far UNAM has fallen, I still have the stub from when I went to see them in the final againts Monterey. And it still pisses me off that we let KIKIN go!. Hopefully they can start winning so i can buy another plane ticket to see them play in the capital again. OH hell I might just get really drunk and go buy a ticked to go watch Chivas.

25. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The ref made some pretty bad mistakes. I have to agree with the Televisa announcer who kept saying that in this kind of game they can't have noob refs. We had the ball but the distribution wasnt all that great. Pareja did alright but just disappeared towards the end. Scocco did ok. Why did Iñiguez play at all? Reinaldo..... :mad: Chupa Lopez looked for some opportunities in the little time that he had. Ariel Gonzalez just couldn't connect. If the circumstances were any different I would be satisfied with the result knowing that they just need time to click. However time isn't necessarily on our side here.