Algarve Cup (R)'s

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by DennisM, Jan 9, 2003.

1. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Algarve Cup

Okay. I got two stories on whose going to be there and what teams are in what groups. First let me get the schedule right. Each team plays on just the four different days. March 14, 16, and 18th. Then the placement matches on the 20th, right?

GROUP A
    Canada
    Norway
    Sweden
    United States

Group B
    China
    Denmark
    Finland
    France

Group C
    Greece
    Wales
    Portugal
    Ireland

The schedule

14 March 2003

USA - Canada
    Sweden - Norway
    China - Finland
    Denmark - France
    Portugal - Wales
    Ireland - Greece

16 March 2003

Sweden - Canada
    Norway - USA
    China - France
    Denmark - Finland
    Portugal - Greece
    Ireland - Wales

18 March 2003
    Norway - Canada
    USA - Sweden
    France - Finland
    China - Denmark
    Greece - Wales
    Portugal - Ireland

20 March 2003 :

Final A1-B1
    3-4 place A2-B2
    5-6 place A3-B3
    7-8 place C1-A4
    9-10 place C2-B4
    11-12 place C3-C4

In the other corner from another source I have these groups:

Group A: USA, Canada, France, Sweden
    Group B: China, Norway, Denmark, Finland
    Group C: Wales, Greece, Portugal, TBD

So which is it?

2. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Door #2

Soccer365, WSW and Canada Soccer all show the same groups as your second alternative... France and Norway swapped.

3. Charger22

Charger22 New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    out there
    Let us hope it is the second group. I would so much rather skip Norway in the first of group play. France over Norway any day.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    True, but given the way our back line is playing Pichon is libal to put in 6. She can punish a little flub better than most players in the world.

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    No One Bothered To Tell Heinrichs

If that is the case, as of this past Saturday afternoon, no one had yet told April Heinrichs about this. Here is what she said about the Algarve Cup during her interview on the "Inside Soccer" radio show:

6. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
  7. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    There was a Change

From the Canadsoccer web sit...

"Canada will now face Norway, the United States and Sweden, following group realignment last month."

Not sure why the groups were realigned but the new alignment is tougher than the original.

8. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Algarve Cup

Japan has cancelled their matches in the US due to the US treat of war on Iraq.

What leads me to wonder. In case Bush decide to invade Iraq...There will be no Algarve Cup this year??

9. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    Does anyone know if any of the games will be on tv... FSW maybe?

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Doubt it. It has never aired in the US. Several years ago though some of us got hooked up with some bad video from the tourney in which the young guns played.

11. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Algarve Cup Roster?

So, given that the team will be playing that 4-4-2 formation, who do you think should be on the team, and which 11 should be starting?

12. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Algarve Cup

In my estimation there are only two question marks as far as staters go. Right mid, and left back. Mia and Millie on top, Aly feeding them from the top of the diamond, Julie holding, Lilly on the left. The back line should be Brandi and Kate in the middle and after Iceland I have to go with Pearce and her ability and desire to go forward along with the fact she put some successful passes into the midfield rather than send everything up the line. For some reason I don't feel comfortable with Hucles on the right, she just never seems to get anything done. Mac, if she is there plays one dimension soccer forgetting her teamates but does score, Fair and Roberts have difficulty holding onto the ball and give it away too often and never score. So I guess it's Mac. But is she going?? At left back you need Slaton back and healthy, same for Reddick. If Joy is back you can always use Brandi on the outside. The question remains who will be in Portugal???

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I too have wondered if the players that rested during the Iceland camp are eligible to be on the Algarve roster.

kra2800's lineup is what I would go with as well.

Bring both Siri and Scurry in and use both of them equally.

14. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
  15. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: Matchtracker!

I'll believe that when I see it.
    I wrote them a scathing email a while ago about them being asswipes and not giving us games on matchtracker. They never responded.........

16. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Since this game getting more and more popular I think ESPN or FSW should consider this tourney to be televised and also the China's Four Nation Tournament.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.wusa.com/press_room/343935.html

10th Algarve Cup Tournament Schedule

Fri., March 14
    Local Kickoff / ET Teams Group
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. USA vs. Canada Group A - Olhao
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. Sweden vs. Norway
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Denmark vs. France Group B - Silves
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. China vs. Finland
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Portugal vs. Wales Group C - Lagoa
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. Ireland vs. Greece

Sun., March 16
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Sweden vs. Canada Group A - Ferreiras
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. USA vs. Norway
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Denmark vs. Finland Group B - Lagos
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. China vs. France
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Portugal vs. Greece Group C - Guia
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. Ireland vs. Wales

Tue., March 18
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Norway vs. Canada Group A - V.R. San Antonio
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. USA vs. Sweden
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. France vs. Finland Group B - Albufeira
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. China vs. Denmark
    2:00 p.m. / 9:00 a.m. Greece vs. Wales Group C - Quarteira
    4:15 p.m. / 11:15 a.m. Portugal vs. Ireland

Thu., March 20
    Local Kickoff / ET Teams Placement Game
    10:00 a.m. / 5 a.m. 3rd Group C vs. 4th Group C 11th Place - Montechero
    10:00 a.m. / 5 a.m. 4th Group B vs. 2nd Group C 9th Place - Portimao
    10:00 a.m. / 5 a.m. 4th Group A vs. 1st Group C 7th Place - Guia
    3:00 p.m. / 10 a.m. 3rd Group A vs. 3rd Group B 5th Place - Ferreiras
    3:00 p.m. / 10 a.m. 2nd Group A vs. 2nd Group B 3rd Place - Quarteira
    6:00 p.m. / 1 p.m. 1st Group A vs. 1st Group B Championship - Loulè

18. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone going?

Is anyone going? I got my plane tickets today to go!!! I combined my vacation with the tournament. I will find the MatchTracker person to make sure they do their job! Speaking of work, I'd even volunteer to film the games in exchange for a nice room or meals or rides to the games.

I thought I saw one of the games on pay per view a few years ago and there were about 20 people in the stands. I would be surprised of any english-language coverage on tv in the states, even by satellite.

19. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Re: Algarve Cup

Mac plays one dimesional soccer??? What do you call those crosses she puts in from the right. She's hardly forgetting her teamates in that situation. And when she has a good opportunity to go for goal, she has the green light to take the shot because of her power.

20. RB1

RB1 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Danielle Slaton update

Today's SF Chronicle has a small update on Danielle Slaton's knee situation.

Slaton rebounds from knee injury to make U.S. team

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/03/10/SP132192.DTL

In other soccer news, the article mentions that for the first time a soccer match will be held at Pac Bell Park, home of the SF Giants.

"MAKING HISTORY: Soccer comes to Pacific Bell Park for the first time Wednesday night at 8, with a match between two top Mexican teams, Las Chivas of Guadalajara and Club America"

Wouldn't it be great to see a US women's game there sometime?

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Danielle Slaton update

Oh heck yeah! I've only been to PacBell once but that place is phenomenal. A very good location in the China Basin in an extremely dynamic city.

I would guess the configuration would be the same as the inaugural San Francisco Bowl that had Virginia Tech beating an overhyped Air Force team.

Stadium costs are probably hella expensive though.
    :eek:

22. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    Re: Re: Danielle Slaton update

... Not to mention ticket prices. I was thinking of going. However, tickets.com is selling tickets for $25-45... Or you can go to tickettraders.com or brokertix.com and pay YIKES! between $93.50 and $110.50 PER TICKET!

I work w/i walking distance of Pacbell Park. Maybe I'll cruise over there Wednesday evening and see what happens.

--Socceroo

23. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Update from Portugal

This seems to be the Aaron Heifitz press release/travelogue #1 from Portugal. Of course, it's available on a small Georgia newspaper's website before the USSF gets it onto theirs.

U.S. women set for Algarve opener

Some cute stuff, as always:

"The USA arrived in Lisbon at about 8:30 a.m. local time, boarded a bus and drove south a little more than three hours to the Algarve region on the southern coast of the country. Most U.S. players slept the entire time. After a lighthearted afternoon training to shake the travel out of their legs, which featured a highly competitive soccer tennis tournament won by the pair of Tiffeny Milbrett and Angela Hucles, who defeated Joy Fawcett and Christie Pearce in the final, the U.S. players attempted to stay up and get adjusted to the time difference, which is five hours ahead of the East Coast. To help the players stay up, the U.S. coaches staged a spirited game of charades at the team meeting that night before sending the players off to sleep. The Sunday training featured an intense 3 v. 3 tournament that was won by the trio of Lindsay Tarpley, Aly Wagner and Joy Fawcett."

24. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    i always love these fawcett kid stories.

"Most kids have to wait until they are a teenager, or in college, to travel to Europe. Eight-year-old Katey Fawcett, daughter of U.S. defender Joy Fawcett, made her sixth trip to Portugal for the Algarve Cup this year, along with her two younger sisters and dad, Walt, who serves as team nanny. In her eight years, Katey has been to Europe on nine separate occasions with her mom, who has played 207 times for the United States. Katey and sisters Carli and Madi are always finding news things to do. One of the many amenities at the team hotel is an oversized chessboard laid out by the swimming pool, with oversized chess pieces featuring two-foot tall King and Queen pieces. U.S. midfielder Kristine Lilly was challenged to a chess match by Katey, and survived being "in check" several times, before rallying to defeat the third-grader. Said Katey: "I want a rematch."