Algarve Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by lil_one, Nov 19, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gricio61, amerinorsk59 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we assume that the Shiba Leaves Cup will still limited to four teams?
    Four of FIFA's top 10 are going to Portugal and four will be at the SBC.
    The top 10 teams which are not included in either tournament are Brazil and Korea DPR?

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can see this year is going to be a "minor" Algarve Cup, compared to the past: no USA, no Germany.... I assume it's because of the competition of She Believes Cup in the same window.

It's a shame, because I always liked Algarve a lot as a sort of "unofficial" clash between the best women's teams in the world and because, since I am Europe-based, it was a potential chance for me to watch National Teams from other continents play quite near to me (and in fact I went to Algarve in 2012, to watch a memorable USA-Japan match).

I am happy that anyway at least Nadeshiko Japan will attend, although I am not sure if I am going to get a break from my job to go in Portugal in that month.
    Who knows, without a lot of "big guns" it could be a chance for Japan to win the trophy, although it would be of course less worthy than our second-place vs Germany in the past.

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan could win it, but they got stuck in a group with Spain.
    Why always Spain? ;)

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think Spain Senior Team is already "there". I fear much more Norway right now (although Hansen is currently injured and we don't know if she'll be fit again for Algarve).

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I was just kidding.

Algarve still 3 months away. Hansen won't be OK by then? What's her injury anyway?

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I asked on the Norway thread, but it looks like it wasn't discosed exactly and we only know that she should play again in Frauen-Bundesliga "after the winter break". So what I meant is that I have no clue if she's going to be there or not.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    North Korea's playing in the Cyprus Cup. maybe Brazil gets invited for the She Believes Cup and the tournament is expanded to 8 teams? They could have USA(1), Germany(2), France(3), England(5), Brazil(9), Colombia(24), Mexico(27), Costa Rica(29). Majority of teams in the top 25 are playing in one of the three tournaments:

1. USA (She Believes)
    2. Germany (She Believes)
    3. France (She Believes)
    4. Canada (Algarve)
    5. England (She Believes)
    6. Sweden (Algarve)
    7. Australia (Algarve)
    8. Japan (Algarve)
    9. North Korea (Cyprus)
    10. Brazil
    11. Norway (Algarve)
    12. Netherlands (Algarve)
    13. China (Algarve)
    14. Spain (Algarve)
    15. Switzerland (Cyprus)
    16. Iceland (Algarve)
    17. Italy (Cyprus)
    18. New Zealand (Cyprus)
    19. South Korea (Cyprus)
    20. Denmark (Algarve)
    21. Scotland (Cyprus)
    22. Russia (Algarve)
    23. Ukraine
    24. Colombia
    25. Austria (Cyprus)

gricio61, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  9. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You asked if there were any updates, there isn't, but we still know what the injury is (because we knew that the first time we posted about it): it's a cracked shinbone. She's scheduled to be back when the F-Bundesliga starts up again in February, which may or may not mean she's with the national squad in March.

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I had forgot the exact nature of the incident, but it had been wrote on the thread, you're right.

Anyway, it remains true that the call for Algarve Cup will probably depend on how much complete the recovering process will be at that point and how fit Hansen will be. At best she'll have a few Frauen-Bundesliga's matches under her belt, but it will be up to Norway's coach to decide if it'll be enough.

By the way, I forgot the last updates: is there a new official coach for Norway, or is it a temporary one at the moment?

In all cases, I look forward for Norway-Japan clash in March. :) In 2013 it was a Norway's win with goals by then very young Hansen and Hegerberg. Now, let's see how the re-match will end. :sneaky:

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    There is no new full-time coach appointed yet, so Leif Gunnar Smerud will act as care-taker coach for the one remaining match we have left this year; against Germany later this month. I read in a paper today that NFF have narrowed it down to six names now of which my favourite choice, LSK Kvinner's coach Monica Knudsen, is unfortunately not one of those. I can't wait to see who gets the job. NFF doesn't have the best of times nowadays as an organization, so I fear the worst...

blissett repped this.
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Since 2009 Brazil is a host country for annual Torneio Internacional de Futebol Feminino held every December. Question would be: is their FA really into women's game enough, to pay for overseas tickets and accommodation for yet another tourney just 2-3 months later?

With Algarve and Cyprus collecting top 10 and 20 of best teams, expanding this tourney now really would beat one of it's purposes. I mean - in ranking points wide it's a very "safe" tournament ;) Lopsided victory against Mexico, Colombia or Costa Rica it's less and less sure nowadays and yields a small amount of ranking points while draw or defeat against those teams will cost any top 5 team quite a lot of ranking points. :unsure::cautious:

blissett repped this.
  13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Brazil should participate if invited. Their tournament is in December, the She Believes is in March, so why not? The three other countries in their tournament are: Italy, Russia & Costa Rica. Italy & Russia are both playing in one of the March tournaments. Costa Rica might be playing in the Istria Cup.

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm going to have a short holiday from work on 3rd of March, that I could tie with subsequent week-end of 4th-5th of March to try to go to Portugal and watch at least one match from this year's Algarve. But I'd need to know the schedule of the matches in advance. Does anyone know when it will be available? :cautious:

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to CSA's website, Canada's WNT plays Algarve games on March 1, 3, 6, and 8, which means those are the match days. But it doesn't list opponents or match times, so those probably haven't been set/publicized yet. Maybe in the next month or so?

blissett repped this.
  16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    schedule was released today:

March 1
    (A) Portugal vs. Russia
    (A) Denmark vs. Canada
    (B) Japan vs. Spain
    (B) Norway vs. Iceland
    (C) Netherlands vs. China
    (C) Australia vs. Sweden

March 3
    Russia vs. Canada
    Denmark vs. Portugal
    Japan vs. Iceland
    Spain vs. Norway
    Netherlands vs. Australia
    Sweden vs. China

March 6
    Portugal vs. Canada
    Russia vs. Denmark
    Japan vs. Norway
    Iceland vs. Spain
    Netherlands vs. Sweden
    Australia vs. China

gricio61, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you very much! Was waiting for that. :geek:

Are there info about the venues also? I could go in Portugal for the 3rd of March's matches, and I would likely be based in Faro, but I'd need to know where each match will be played.

18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada with a cakewalk into the playoff round.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017
    Group A
    15:00 Denmark v Canada (Albufeira)
    15:00 Portugal v Russia (Lagos)

Group B
    14:45 Japan v Spain (Parchal)
    18:30 Norway v Iceland (Parchal)

Group C
    18:30 Australia v Sweden (Albufeira)
    18:00 Netherlands v China PR (Lagos)

Friday, March 3, 2017
    Group A
    19:00 Portugal v Denmark (Parchal)
    15:00 Russia v Canada (Algarve)

Group B
    18:30 Spain v Norway (Algarve)
    14:45 Japan v Iceland (Parchal)

Group C
    15:00 Australia v Netherlands (Vila Real Sto Antonio)
    18:30 China PR v Sweden (Vila Real Sto Antonio)

Monday, March 6, 2017
    Group A
    19:00 Russia v Denmark (Vila Real Sto Antonio)
    19:00 Portugal v Canada (Algarve)

Group B
    14:45 Iceland v Spain (Vila Real Sto Antonio)
    14:45 Norway v Japan (Algarve)

Group C
    15:00 China PR v Australia (Albufeira)
    15:00 Sweden v Netherlands (Lagos)

Final/Placement Day: March 8, 2017

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/algarve-cup-2017-teams-and-groups-announced/

jonny63 and blissett repped this.
  20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I assume Algarve refer to Estádio Algarve the big one built for Euro 2000 about halfway between Faro and Loule?
    Otherwise it says very little since all matches are played in the Algarve province :D

21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    2004. And obviously men's Euros since they built new venues.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would be interested in the games of 3rd of March in Parchal: does anyone know if Parchal is easy to reach from Faro?

23. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #23 JanBalk, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    About 50 min by car on the toll road, 1h15-1h30 with train from Faro about 12 trains/day, don't know about buslines. So not very easy.

blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, it's been a bust :x3:, but I bought today my airplane tickets to be in Portugal for the matches of 3rd of March. I cross fingers for it being as good an experience as it was in 2012, when I was at Algarve last time.

gricio61 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.