Algarve Cup 2014

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jonny63, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1676 Cliveworshipper, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Exactly. Is that significant?

Stephanie Cox has two. She touches the ball a lot less in the offensive third and has fewer minutes.

2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    All three should take a look in the mirror

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You may be correct. I didn't see the North Korea game. Did anybody?

4. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Agreed that you can't judge her performance on what we saw. But saying that the goal started from her based on highlights only I think is too much. That was a nice play but 4 or 5 players were involved in it.
    It's good that she's healthy again. We'll probably see more of her soon.

5. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    most credit definitely goes to krieger's cross theres no denying that, heath only contributed about 10% percent, Lloyd 8%, Krieger 52% and wambach 40%

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    for all the Sarah Hagen fans; here are highlights from last week's Munich-Essen game. She's had a good game, but didn't score. She's the #8, all though you might be seeing double as the #11 Lena Lozten, sort of looks like Hagen. She almost gets credit on the 2nd goal, but it's given to the original shot taker as the ball takes an unusual bounce out after going across the goal line. The 1st goal is by another American, Gina Lewandonski
    http://tv.dfb.de/index.php?view=7616

Smallchief repped this.
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for posting that. To the extent that you call tell from a short clip, Hagen seems to have an easy, comfortable manner. I like that. I noted the German announcer calling her "Sarah Apple Hagen."

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's just wee highlights of Sarah Hagen's best performance of the season(3 goals). They'll playing Jena, who got one of the best cb's in the world in Kiwi, Ercig, but have a tendency to leave their flanks undefended. Notice too Amber Brooks(#22) scoring the 1st goal. So sad that she gave up a promising career & full season contract with Munich, to come to the US and be on our NT, only to have that louse TS not pick her for AC in favor of the Brian & the Mewis sisters. Also playing is Erica Tymrak(#17) though she looks good in the highlights had a rather disappointing half season at Munich, not scoring any goals but I doubt even getting an assist. But it takes time getting used to the Bundesliga style of scraping for every inch of land on the field compared to the more open lanes of the nwsl
    http://tv.dfb.de/index.php?view=6708

9. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tymrak is, because of that gliding motion, easy to spot. She's right up there with Rapinoe/Fishlock's -- or is that Raplock and Fishnoe's -- blond hair in recognizability from a distance.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Erika Tymrak better be on the WWC roster next year.
    She is more unique than any other player on the team.
    She is quite possibly the most unique player to ever play for the USWNT.
    There simply is no one like her. She's not the best player ever, but she's very slithery and creative.
    She provides more for the USWNT, than Michael Bradley does for the men's team.
    You can't stop her, you can only get a whiff of her as she goes by, just as the video shows.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    only problem; as I've mentioned before, is she didn't look good playing in the Bundesliga, zero goals & possibly zero assists. Since Germany will be the team to beat........she'll be going directly against their holding mids, Kessler & Marozsan. Kessler suddenly has become Wolfsburg's most dominant player(s Goessling has become the Lndsay Lohan of the German soccer world) & Marozsan possibly the most dominant player in the world!
    From what I've seen, those two will eat her up ALIVE!

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I dunno, that vid seems to have an awful lot of dubious goalkeeping on it, along with a fair amount of dubious defending.

And since she's hardly played for the Nats, the assertion about Bradley is weird.

Oh-- and a thing is either unique or not-- uniqueness doesn't come in degrees.

The Ohai video at least demonstrated that she is capable of international level finishing...

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well with Tymrak any goal scoring u get is a plus. She is an international class ball handler and passer. My main knock on her is she often looks like she's never had to mark anyone in her life.

Namdynamo repped this.
  14. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  15. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Tymrak is more of a playmaker than Ohai.
    Ohai is a better finisher than Tymrak.
    Tymrak is better on the ball than Ohai, and often makes pinpoint decisions, where Ohai is adequate at this.
    Ohai is a better "get-back-and-defend" player than Tymrak. Ohai hustles more.
    Tymrak is more of a finesse gymnast (ballerina background), where Ohai is more of the power gymnast.

They both are unique players, and they both can be terrific assets to the USWNT.
    They both would compliment each other well on the field.
    So instead of worrying about who's better, let's be glad it's a team game, and in the eleven, both are assets.
    I'd rather have one Tymrak, and one Ohai, than I would two Tymraks, or two Ohai's.

Namdynamo repped this.
  17. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ohai hasn't even played a professional match yet. Really don't care what she did UNC. We are talking about a WHOLE different level. Tymrak I would not trust just yet to start against a team like Germany or Sweden no way but I'm looking forward to seeing how she progresses.

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ohai will replace O'Reilly's role, when she retires.
    Tymrak and Brian essentially replace Heath and Holiday, at some point.
    Heath's last days might be the 2016 Olympics, her 3rd Olympics with the team.
    And Holiday will not play too much longer, as she'll be invested more in her husband's NBA career.
    Heath and Holiday are good friends, and I could see them going out after winning the 2016 Gold Medal.

Something tells me Rapinoe LOVES the sport even more, and will play it much longer.
    She proved her dedication to the sport after all the knee trouble she had in college.
    Carli Lloyd will probably retire after 2016 as well (her USWNT career started around 2005 or so).
    O'Reilly will be gone by then as well.

2017 USWNT (Top 23)
    F - Alex Morgan (if healthy by then), Christen Press, Sydney Leroux, Sarah Hagen, Lindsey Horan
    MF - Megan Rapinoe, Erika Tymrak, Morgan Brian, Sarah Killion, Julie Johnston, Kealia Ohai, Morgan Andrews
    D - Kelley O'Hara, Crystal Dunn, Whitney Engen, Cari Roccaro, Abby Dahlkemper, Kristin Grubka, Amanda Frisbie, Ally Courtnall
    GK - Adrianna Franch, Alyssa Naeher, Jane Campbell

*If Alex Morgan can't go, then Savannah Jordan or Maya Hayes takes her place.

19. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1694 jigsawill, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    I assume you expect players like Ohai, Killion, Johnston, Andrews to be world class players but I sure as hell don't and I wouldn't project that at this stage. Why would Heath retire? Where is Amber brooks? If this is our squad come 2017 God help us.

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Where's the speed force? Is Summer Green favored in the system like the Mewis twins? I could see them creating a roster spot for her too.

She won't have to retired since someone will beat her out. How many years down the line and she still dribbles into trouble? The older and slower she gets, the worst her game will become.