Alfredo Morelos - Rangers F.C

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Jun 19, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some would say that he does have more to prove because one fantastic season (two total) in Scotland does not really tell a full story.
    With the price tag that is supposedly being attached to him I am not sure it makes the best business sense to some Club higher ups who may think he is a one year wonder leading the league in goals.

But again, it does depend on the Club and some are better than others for him. Hopefully if he does go it is to a team that knows how to utilize his talents and he does not take a step backwards.

2. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But isn't this his 2nd season in Rangers?

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    I specified my post in an edit.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And God forbid he picks up an injury and gets little to no playing time like Izzy at Brighton even when he is healthy.

At a bigger club (with a bigger payroll) he will have more competition and they will not wait for him to get healthy.
    Conversely at Rangers they will wait and be happy to give him his place in a starting lineup.

5. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Business wise it's better to sell. A third season isn't going to double his price tag. Perhaps a few millions more but an injury/bad season could ruin everything.

Things didn't go as planned for Izzy, but he made the move he had to make. Staying at Brugge could have hidden his shortcomings, but they would have been exposed some day anyway. Now it's time for Morelos to show what he's made of, we can't be sure if doesn't go to a bigger league.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #306 HomietheClown, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Yes, for Rangers it would be best business wise to cash in on him.

But the clubs that are pondering spending money on him are pondering if he is worth it.

As I said, it all depends on the club in the bigger League.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one is suggesting that Izzy should have stayed in Belgium.

But going to a Club that is lower in the table of the Premiere league compared to say maybe a team in France or Italy could have been less beneficial to him.
    We will never know how he could have done in another league but I personally think that some leagues know how to utilize our players better than others. (generally)

8. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I've followed Izzy quite a bit for years. He's had ALL the chances in the world to rock it at BHA, including plenty of starts but injury after injury has been a big issue(and he had plenty of them as well in Belgium league).

Morelos has given his all in Rangers. One more year for a 23 yr old in SPL will prove nothing. More risk than reward.

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #309 HomietheClown, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    There is always room from improvement and growth when you have gotten to the top of the mountain. For Morelos at Rangers it could be to prove that he can be consistently the best striker in the League and he can also cut down on his yellow and reds which I think is a factor in teams pondering to put up the cash. When people are comparing you to Luis Suarez (rightly or wrongly) you already have a stigma you have to overcome.

Yes, he is a hard worker and all of his managers have complimented his work ethic. And I am not opposed to him leaving, I am just being more pragmatic in which teams I think he should go to. Definitely not fond of a mid table or lower table Premiere League team. Germany or France could be better.

There are two sides to every coin.
    From what I am reading the Management want him to stay, the fans want him to stay and he is saying all thr right things to the media that players just don't say if they want to move on.
    I am reading the tea leaves here, but of course I do not have a crystal ball. They could cash in on him and everything could be great for him.

10. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He knows how to use his body especially for his size. Good with his back to goal and had a quick spin move to quickly get the shot off.

12. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah he's very strong for his size and has quick reactions and good ball control. When he has to battle for the ball he usually wins. I really hope he makes it in the NT.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well he may get his chance in Asia. A good showing there and he will be in Brazil.

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Think the forward spots are the most contested and open. Falcao will be one for what he means to the team and consistency.

Duvan fire burnt out and isn’t proven in yellow. Bacca/Jackson/Teo aren’t called but if he wants experience.

Cucho/Borre weren’t called one because of the U20. The other he is the one missing from this call up.

We have a solid roster to pick from up top.

Furnaccio and HomietheClown repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do think a good showing this FIFA date by the strikers can clear up some of the battles.

16. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #316 Bomb8, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    I agree that Duvan is not necessarily the obvious replacement for Falcao. Besides being inconsistent, he is not a natural goal scorer - even if it sometimes looks like it. He has the skills a striker needs but for him scoring seems to be hard work, and we all know hard work can be exhausting in the long run. For Falcao scoring is like eating breakfast, it's just a natural habit.

I would rule out Teo and Jackson without hesitating. Bacca is a more difficult case. I'd rather not see him in yellow, but if the youngsters fail or Falcao is injured he might be the best choice.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Cucho to become a good finisher, he doesn't seem to have it in him, he has different characteristics. Only time will tell how good Morelos will eventually become but he is a rare case in the sense that he has the hunger for goals. Falcao and Bacca belong in that group also. If Morelos doesn't make it we have to settle for strikers who don't have much left (Falcao, Bacca). The rest are either unproven or inconsistent. The good thing is, like you said, we have many players to choose from. If Queiroz plays with two strikers I'd like to see Muriel and Duvan together. It could work because they are very different players.

Azucarero repped this.
  17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I just hope that Falcao doesn't play every half, especially if at any point we play with a lone striker. We all know what he's capable of. Give the other guys a fair chance...
    Yeah. In the times he's played for Colombia, Duvan looked best when he played next to Falcao, doing the dirty work and a lot of running. However, most of Duvan's best games this season came when Atalanta were using two wide attackers with him, which is the formation everybody says Quieroz favors. We've got to give him at least 2 halves against Korea and Japan, and one of them better be the first 45.

Morelos at least has a definite position. Put him as close to goal as possible, meaning he, ideally, should not be playing next to Falcao.

Jackson is done. And it's unfortunate because, watching him the past couple weeks, I actually think he's still the best hold-up forward Colombia has.

pepinointer repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not sure Jackson is done but he is very low on the totem poll that is for sure. A lot of injuries to other strikers and bad form would have to happen before he is considered. That and/or he has to get on a crazy Duvan type of streak.

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yup I think Jackson and Teo are basically out of the team but if you want experience you’d go with them who are proven. I don’t want to see either on the NT prefer we go with younger options but we don’t know much about our new coach.

As for Falcao playing 1/2 games in these friendlies. The coach took his best 11 and what he thinks are the best 23 in colombia. He needs to win both games and to go out to win. If this was a bigger roster and he was experimenting fine but this is the World Cup team healthy and with a better bench.

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Getting wins for the two friendlies is low priority for me. I’d rather see CQ use all 6 subs by 70 - 75 min and see everyone get a steady amount of playing time and see what combinations on field work and don’t work.

I hope to see less long ball and desperate crossing from the wings and more quick short passes into open space and seeing the players move to the ball rather than waiting for the ball cole to them. We saw some glimpses of better ball movement against Costa Rica; but now with CQ calling the shots - it is now a new day.

Draws and losses for these friendlies actually will tell us more about what we need to fine time rather than a win which tends to overshadow areas of improvement. I just go back to 2007 when we beat Paraguay in a pre CA07 friendly. We all remember how game 1 of CA07 went

Azucarero repped this.
  21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How is winning not the main objective when you use the main squad and the same guys from the last 4 friendlies + the World Cup.

At what point do we go hey guy we are paying 3 million a year for

Your ass better win against weaker teams with your main lineup?

It’s not like we are playing Belgium and Germany in Europe next week

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  24. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He got a red card after hitting a Celtic player with his elbow. The Celtic player provoked him a bit and Morelos being an idiot did what he did. These stupid red cards are frustrating.

pepinointer and HomietheClown repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't comment on this specific incident but in general he needs to learn how to keep a cool head. It may cost him millions if teams in bigger leagues hold it against him. Like it or not he has a reputation of being a Luis Suarez type of temper; and without the Luis Suarez type of talent it is a risk to pay big bucks for him for some teams.