Alfredo Morales discussion thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bshredder, Aug 14, 2019.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #176 IndividualEleven, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    I'd like to see the best players with solid age timelines and solid form get the minutes. International football isn't club football: the NT isn't developing and selling players. There is no pressure to rush along inexperienced players.

The timeline is WCQing and Nation's League-based. That's what we're working with. Give high level young performers, like Parks and Pomykal, serious run. Give courtesy caps to duals who aren't ready. Give some minutes to inexperienced attackers. Otherwise, go with accomplished players. See if they can excel.

The team can't be based on prospects.

If 3G is playing his 343ish formation that the team played in the GC final then the CMs to start with should be Adams, McKennie, Morales, and Nagbe. Others can be worked in over time.

2. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Yep. And in Berhalter's system, that means Morales should be starting. He will be 32 by the time of the next World Cup. Since that should be a very young USMNT, they will need some experienced players. If he keeps up his present form, why not Morales?

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  3. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    That is the play that Michael Bradley could not make, in his prime, against Ghana to send the USMNT to the 2010 WC 1/4 final.

4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, not just with Morales, but generally, I don't think we should be so hung up on potential call-ups being in their early 30s by 2022. Of course you don't want, say, half your roster to be over-30, but pretty much every team at the WC has at least a handful of over-30 guys on the roster and usually at least a couple starting.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    it starts with a reasonable statement like this and then it ends up with us playing Bradley in the must-win final game of the Hex to get to qatar.....

6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    ... a thread about Morales inevitably ends up about Bradley. Yikes.

superdave repped this.
  7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    So bizarre, a thread about a starting #6 in the Bundesliga ignored for 3 years being linked to the autostarter, at the same position, for the last 3 years that few think is qualified for that gig...how does that happen?!?!

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    We should ask Morales, who managed to fail in his opportunities with the Nats.

Win your own spot.

The American fans’ entitlement mentality is laughably naive.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a helluva play, but it’s no Dempsey back heel. (Old timers will get this.)

KicksNgiggles and twoolley repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, personally, am not sexually aroused by chicken. Some people are.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    weird comparison.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s be real here...getting away with a trip, dribbling in open space, and then making a couple of nice touches in the box to convert from in close is not exactly Maradona running through England.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Another weird comparison.

14. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    It looked like he shot it off his plant foot.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales did not play LM anymore than Kitchen played RM. In the v PR Copa100 fringe friendly we played a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. Morales played the same LCM in a 3CM midfield position that he played for Ing. DWill played the #6.

Arriola Wood
    Bedoya
    Morales Kitchen
    Williams
    Ream Brooks Orozco Yedlin
    Guzan​

Wood, Bedoya, Kitchen, Brooks, Orozco, Yedlin, and Guzan made the Copa100 final roster. JK went with Jones, Bradley, Beckerman, Bedoya, and surprisingly Kitchen as his CM crew.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley hasn't "won" his spot in years. He's just auto-started, and Trapp has been awful.

Bradley fans' mentality of "please take a starting spot without an opportunity to do so" is why we weren't in Russia, and why we got punked by Mexico's B team.

Namdynamo, sXeWesley and yurch10 repped this.
  17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I'm not a Bradley fan. This is not a binary choice, as some anti-Bradley types have reduced it down to. Honestly, Morales hasn't done enough with the USMNT to warrant being placed in competition with even Bradley, much less Tyler Adams or Weston McKennie.

The anti-Bradley people have axes to grind. I'm not pro or anti anyone. Earn it on the field and you won't get taken off of it. Period.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What you say makes no sense. If bad play means you don’t get called in, then Bradley, Trapp and Roldan shouldn’t have been called in recently but they been called into every camp and played extensively.

If however, we believe that our players are entitled to a bad game or two as an international player, we should take players who compete at the highest levels and it certainly makes no sense not to even call in a B1 starter so that we can play average MLS players who also “haven’t done enough with the USMNT to warrant being placed in competition with Bradley”. Morales never played as badly for the USMNT as either Bradley or Trapp in the competitive games in / around the Gold Cup.

You’re holding Morales to a completely different standard than others and simply refuse to acknowledge it.

19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    These guys have tape on Morales. He has caps as recent as 2016. He's not an unknown.

I'm not against giving him call ups. I like the player.

I do find the anti-Bradley-fueled clamor for his inclusion to be naive, however.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Do you believe that Bradley is capable of playing as a rotational player for a midtable B1 team?

21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That's a discussion for the Michael Bradley thread, which I avoid.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You are entitled to your opinion but Alfredo is currently playing at the level Bradley was at Mike’s peak and I think it’s insane to think that Bradley is as good as he used to be or would be capable of looking mediocre/good vs, Levenkusen.

Your whole point appears to be that 1) he wasn’t better than Bradley, Jones et al before 2016 so it’s copacetic if he doesn’t get called in now and maybe 2) Bradley is still better. I’m not sure why you won’t admit the second if it’s true.

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #198 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Followed by Holden and Edu tuting Bradley's horn with wonderous praise for pre-game, then

Fox having Bradley in a nice timed moment before kick-off giving advice like a "leader", then

Followed by not making It to Qatar because of more Bradley smoked like bacon moments to guaranteed the loss ( because he is too slow), then

Media giving Bradley 7/10 or higher scores, then

Followed by Bob Bradley saying we are idiots and Bruce Arena saying nothing needs to change. then

Garber naming Bradley to CONCACAF best 11 for WCQ, then

Jay Berhalter stays CEO, Bruce Arena becomes USMNT coach again, Michael Bradley becomes USMNT Assistant, and Gregg Berhalter becomes USMNT advisor to the CEO.

Rinse and Repeat.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Sorry for the interruption. Morales got called in for Sept USA games.

25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I would imagine that its likely he starts at least one of these games.

Alfredo, there are minutes to be had...go take them.

Marius Tresor repped this.