You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo does anyone think McCarty is better quality than Fredo? Really would have liked to see him called up instead of Dax.

sXeWesley repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do, but that's because I've seen dozens of Dax's games and about 1 of Fredo's.

4. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    me.

5. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I know he didn't have a couple good run outs with the national team in the past but I'm not really sure he got a fair shot with Jürgen. Reason I ask is bc I feel like he's been in pretty good form this season and last time I mentioned Dax getting more shots on the USMNT (couple years ago) I was shunned.

6. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Gold cup

sXeWesley and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Dax is international quality. He's a really good MLS player, but I think he's lacking. However, Bradley lacks a lot, too, and he never sniffs the bench.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have taken Dax

9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fredo is starting in DM against Dortmund today. Watch for him to put some tough tackles in on Pulisic.

Though I think Morales has a good skillset and is a natural leader, he just hasn't managed to establish himself as a consistent and legit Bundesliga-level player. Part of it has been nagging injuries, part of it is being moved around between DM, CM and a weird defensive-minded wide midfield role, part of it is being on a bad team which inexplicably has managed to stay up...but he hasn't quite found an identity as a player and is coming up on his 27th birthday.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maxvall, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ingo is a terrible team to watch but they are secure in the BL and Morales starts when healthy. I could think of worse situations.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that can be said for Fredo is that he doesn't back down from any opponent or take plays off. So far in this one I'd say he's outplaying his matchup, Raphaël Guerreiro.

Maxvall and wixson7 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Way to go Fredo. Still can't believe a lock defensive CM starter for BL team has to sit behind MLS starting midfield for usmnt. When if any of those players were playing in top leagues they would be starting over MLS. Bradley, lletget, bedoya. Fredo did a find job against BM and BVB. Can't say the same for bedoya or Bradley.

sXeWesley, Dervos and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, because,you know, life is that simple. :rolleyes:

Balerion repped this.
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry about our Germericans. I hope they are given a fair shake by Bruce.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't they?

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth noting that Klinsmann wasn't able to find a place on the team for Alfredo outside of a few friendlies. He brought him to the 2015 Gold Cup and cut him halfway through saying the fit wasn't right.

The only consistent German-Americans under Klinsmann was Jones, Brooks, and Johnson. The others like Williams, Green, Chandler, Morales were in and out of the team. It's too early to say what will happen with Arena but from the first camp it looks the regulars are still the regulars - although Jones might fade just due to age.

Balerion and naopon repped this.
  20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any conjecture you might offer as to why they don't fit? I am not disputing that fit is the reason or even its veracity, but I don't really get why. When I see Williams (rare) and Morales, they look like guys who should be competing for a spot. It's hard for me as a spectator to understand what exactly they do or are being asked to do that doesn't mesh in some way.

sXeWesley and Winoman repped this.
  21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me put it this way. I rate Williams as a much better player than Morales.Williams has more skill and can be a difference maker. Reading has built a lot of what they do around Williams. Morales is not even close to that. He's decent but I don't think many teams in the Bundesliga or even the Championship, would have a hard time finding a replacement should Morales leave the club.

But both players have a problem in that their roles frequently change from season to season and with coaching changes.

22. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on the quality front that Williams is the better player. Morales looks like such a strong defender, though.

I guess for me, it's not that I see any of them as glaring omissions, it's that I wouldn't see any of the old-timers as glaring ommissions either.

KicksNgiggles and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MB is in his twilight. They brought on Acosta, who appears to b heir app. He would be the guy to really compare against these two. The only twist would be is if some of our young CBs leap forward(MM, CCV...). That would move GC to deep DM. I think he would b in front of any of them. Inho.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Morales just never seemed 'comfortable' with a US jersey on. It seems like presusre/mentality got to him compared to his time for club.

With the US, he looked uneasy and often made rookie mistakes with lack of concentration. He showed some skill sometimes but then would check out of games or look uneasy and lack of confidence.

Good player, but at NT level doesn't match what he does at club. Simple as that for me

largegarlic repped this.
  25. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because at the very least Bruce is going to lean to MLS "Americans" all things being equal? I think Bruce was the best option after JK, but there is only so much spinning the words that came out of his mouth. He will obviously use the Germericans when they are clearly superior to the domestic options, some would call that a fair shake and some would not.

"Players on the national team should be — and this is my own feeling — they should be Americans," said Arena to Doug McIntyre for an ESPN The Magazine story in 2013. "If they're all born in other countries, I don't think we can say we are making progress."

"I'm a big believer in the American player and producing them out of our system. I think that ultimately is what will develop the sport in our country, not on the field but with the consumer," Arena was quoted as saying by Kelly Whiteside at USA Today. "When they can recognize our players and who they are and where they came from, they'll be more supportive of the sport, and that's a big plus in terms of marketing. When we do it with randomly selecting people from all over that really have no connection, I don't think it hits home with people we want supporting our sport and our national team."