Alexis Sanchez... so damn good we take you for granted!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd keep Ozil over Sanchez, but the debate is purely academic as we will likely keep both or lose both.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the answer is always Ozil. Most important player at this club.

But Arsenal do not actually want to pay World Class talents so I suspect they both bounce.

darcgun, BigEffingGooner and DutchCane repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In context with what other people are getting paid their demands are reasonable. They're two of the top 20 players in the world. Given their ages they're both going to go.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  4. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If they both leave this club will fall apart especially when Wenger leaves. Can't see how we can offer them 200-250k. If they want more definitely negotiate but we cannot afford to lose them.

5. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please give Sanchez and Ozil equity in the club already?

6. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We can certainly afford to give Sanchez and Ozil 300k a week. The combined cost would be only 15m, but the new TV deal is going to net us 60m more than we got last season. Breaking the wage structure is not ideal, but I don't think there are any important players we are going to piss off.

How much would it cost us to replace both AND make up the ground we lose when we sell them to the Manchester teams? Giving in to massive wage demands is not ideal, but failing to do so in this situation would be the more costly option.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My hope is this is just media posturing from all sides. We have to keep them both.

Tonerl repped this.
  8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think your math is off, but I agree. This wage structure nonsense is just that. What to do when fringe players come asking for a pay rise? Tell them to earn it or fcuk off to stoke.

Paying Sanchez and ozil 300k/wk would be 31m per year. Over 3 years that's 100m essentially. If we sell them in the summer with only 1 year in their contracts we will maybe net 50m total. So keeping them you can argue will cost 150m. Replacements, if we could find them, will likely cost 40m each and demand wages of at least 100k/wk or 31m over the next three years. Hard to guess the residual value of the replacements after that time but if they are any good we will have the same issues as with ozil and Sanchez so let's say 40m total.

In summary, assuming we could find any, replacements to cost 70m over the next three years and keeping Alexis and ozil around 150m. A difference of only 26m a year. Maybe 10% of our wage bill--nothing imho.

It's a no-brainer. They are stars at one of the largest revenue franchises in the world. They have been top performers since day one. Pay them and move on.

Edit: sorry, I guess you were addressing the increase only.

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    IMHO we lose either we are fuhked. Plain and simple fuhked. Because that would mean we start another fuhkin rebuild of a system, whatever that is, and have to go thru the figuring out stage of who plays where and does what. Would be an unmitigated disaster from a player acquisition standpoint as well and mutiny would ensue in the fanbase. Well that last part not really probably would be the usual bashing the players and keeping the faith in Wenger and the board and trot out Jr Accounting nonsense to cover up the massive failure of front office to keep their two best and most important players.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all of this. Getting replacements for Sanchez and Ozil would cost much more in transfer fees than paying them would cost. Getting two players of their caliber would cost 150m pounds.

DutchCane repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are no players of Ozil's caliber.

Aaron d, BigEffingGooner, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty true. His style is also singular. Losing Ozil requires a full and complete re-do of how we would play.

Shen-O, DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    But we have Ramsey and jack and chamberlain can play central. If we lose Alexis we have Danny coming back and giroud and Lucas and Theo to play up top. This will be the narrative if we can't get a deal done and aren't able to find replacements.

What's amazing is that even with these two we were unable to really mount a challenge the past few seasons.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They also got hurt, and while I usually respect your opinions, I think you're referring to comments Wenger made when we had significant financial restrictions.

Also, I think we can replace Alexis, albeit at a high price. We need to pay Ozil what he wants.

Shen-O and DutchCane repped this.
  15. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wage structure? simple.

any proven world class player gets above 200,000 p/w

international class (,e.g. giroud, theo, koscielny, xhaka, cech or others with a lot of international caps/tournament experience) 100-200,000

up and coming/youngesters like Bellerin, Iwobi - 100,000 and under.

With growing revenues, this can all be well within the Premier League/FFP rules on wages, and the tv money and gate money more than covers this.

DutchCane repped this.
  16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Replace Alexis with whom? Greizman? Draxler? Maybe, just hard to see AW (assuming he is here) spending the needed money with the aforementioned players available on our current squad.

I agree, pay ozil his money. But I don't think ozil will sign if signals are we are willing to let Alexis leave. At some point we have to think about a hard line with players like this--bench time is one tool that I suspect will be pretty effective on Sanchez.

darcgun repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I suspect the issue with Ozil is not so much ££ but whether he can be persuaded to stay at all.

He's into his peak years and I doubt he will agree to spend them at Arsenal unless he thinks he can win stuff.

If the likes of Bayern or City are sniffing around then he will leave IMO

bigredfutbol and darcgun repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ozil bought a 10m house in London, apparently

darcgun repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As one does :ROFLMAO:

But seriously he has been in excellent form the last 18mths and also big for germany

It would be naive to think other teams don't have an eye on his situation with his contract winding down

IMO Bayern could use him.

Or in England, I think City would be possible.

Ozil was always very interested in Utd but with them having snapped up Pogba and Mhki that does not look likely

Of course Arsenal can easily pay him 250K or whatever he is looking for - I don't really see that as the major stumbling block

darcgun repped this.
  20. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Can't see him going anywhere in England. Don't think the club would let that happen these days. They'd take less money from any European destination. Plus flamini is still in London ;)

Agree about his prime years which is why a) we need a serious challenge in either or both CL/PL and b) we need to keep Sanchez. Otherwise we will find ourselves in an RVp situation.

DutchCane and darcgun repped this.
  21. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Arsenal let any of those two go, I will personally start a riot.

DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess we are already in early phase RvP situation - otherwise he would have reupped by now.

I think it will largely depend on who else Arsenal can sign, and who else is in the market.

For instance if Bayern have a serious interest - that could be very difficult to fight off.

thebigman and DutchCane repped this.
  23. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bayern is maybe the only place he could go.

Blancos the shame would be too much to buy him back.
    Doesn't have enough Barca DNA to warrant a move.
    Manure maybe, but they already sold the boat.
    Nobody else would pay his asking wages.

I think (actually, I just hope) that this is just posturing and at the end of the day they'll do whatever it takes to hold onto him. We're in a position to be able to finally to do that. I actually think he's pretty happy here, and the squad trajectory is trending upwards, so if I were him I'd stay. No, totally not biased all.

But in the end, Stan the Man trickle-down economics might rear its' ugly head again.

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Bayern is one thing. The rumors linking him to united are another. If we sell ozil to united I expect a full on fan revolt. Selling rvp to fergie was a mistake, but at least money was an excuse back then. Not so much anymore. I'd rather see him go to Bayern for free in 2018 than get 100m from united in 2017.