Alexis Sanchez... so damn good we take you for granted!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jun 5, 2015.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder how we replace him

A chance creating wide player or another goal scoring a tracker?

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about combining those two? :D Are there any other Sanchez-likes out there? Ideally without so much of the turnovers, the freelancing, the lack of positional discipline. ;)

thebigman repped this.
  3. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Where and how the turnovers are made is more important than how many. A turnover in midfield is a lot more likely to result in a dangerous counter attack than a turnover in the attacking third against a team that has parked the bus that are chasing runners.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats why Alexis needs to stay closer to goal. He gonna lose the ball but its okay in the final 3rd.

Its not when he is at the center circle.

thebigman and banco repped this.
  5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. The pertinant quote from that article:

Not only is he the only player from top 6 club he lost possession an astonishing 656 times; worst in the entire league.
    15% of entire team pic.twitter.com/krysOia4BK
    3:11 AM - Jul 6, 2017

I wish people would give attribution to their data sources. I don't know if this is a custom spreadsheet or from some stats site. Can anyone recognize the format?

Anyway, if this is true, it's curious that someone could top the charts of a negative stat like this and still make such a big contribution to our team's results, when he played. Maybe it's kinda what Banco was saying, i.e. if most of his turnovers are in the final 1/3 then they're less damaging?

I know in my heart that Sanchez has been a net plus to our team, sometimes a big net plus. But man, how much more important could he be if he cleaned up some of his negative attributes? On that we'll probably never know, because his days seem to be numbered with us.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Obviously perceptions are being coloured by the stats that are being pushed by media outlets at a particular time. I have heard this stat about Sanchez giving away possession a lot over recent weeks, it's a headline that shows a good player has flaws and makes for good copy in newspapers and debating points on TV/radio.

According to the Premier League website stats (https://www.premierleague.com/stats) Sanchez has made 14 (38) appearances in the league scoring 4 (24) goals and providing 3 (10) assists, figures for the whole of last season in brackets. Not stellar figures, but scoring or making one every other game isn't to be sniffed at. It looks like he will be down on his production for the whole season at his current rate compared to last year where he was involved in a goal in almost every game.

So we have the media banging on about giving the ball away and with the raw production stats being down, I can see why people are a bit down on him. The contract situation doesn't do him any favours either.

Stats only tell part of the story though, the real question here is if we put him on the bench, who do we think could come in and do a better job? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head in the squad who I would be confident in to come in a run up better numbers. Some tweaks to his game would do him no end of good, I think Sanchez needs to take less touches in possession, move the ball quicker and make runs in behind rather than wanting the ball to feet all the time. These are things that the coaching staff should be saying to him or he should be realising himself, he's not a kid after all. If I had a playmaker like Mesut Ozil in my team I'd be making runs all day as you know the ball is coming at some point. I think he's trying too hard to be the focal point of the team when he should be the cutting edge along with Lacazette.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is a net plus

But he is ball dominant. He doesn’t trust his teammates and so others do not feel empowered to contribute.

thebigman, mebeSajid and yossarian repped this.
  9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately, because our team is so disjointed, we do need him. Our team is heavily reliant on individual skill now, rather than team play, to break down teams, that we can't afford to not play Sanchez.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Per who scored.com, Sanchez' unsuccessful touches and dispossession stats are not out of line for the position he plays. The possession loss numbers being thrown around appear to include inaccurate passes, and while his constant chips into the box that seem to invariably find the head of a defender, drive me to distraction, the number of inaccurate passes attributed to Sanchez is partially attributable to the fact that he has the ball a lot. By way of comparison, Sterling and Sane, in a possession oriented offense attempt 10 and 14 fewer passes per game respectively and Hazard attempts 8 fewer passes per game.

Having defended Alexis on the possession loss numbers I still believe it is time foe Alexis and Arsenal to move on.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/29/alexis-sanchez-frustration-dressing-room-bust-up?

I think Sanchez is getting sold in January.

Super Llama repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think zaha could be an affordable replacement or that Mexican kid at psv who looks sick on YouTube lulz

We have to sell him and mesut if they won’t re up

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All public statements out of Wenger have been that we're not selling Sanchez in January. And that he very much hopes to renew his contract by summer. Couple that with the rumors out of Citeh that they're confident of getting him on a free, makes me think that it's foolish to hope or expect Sanchez to leave next month.

15. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zaha is shit. Would rather just play Reiss over getting Zaha. I'd be down for the PSV kid tho

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zaha has been excellent this year

He’s improved a lot and has more end product

Not sure what left sided attackers we could realistically afford who can contribute goals

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Zaha has been a problem this year. Id take him, but not at an absurd fee.

If we sell Sanchez next month, I wouldnt mind him coming in next month for a 6 month period to show whether he is a starter or squad depth. We do need runners and more pace.

thebigman repped this.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen some rumors that Atletico is looking to sell Carrasco. If think he would be a better option.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would prefer a proper quick guy who scores more

Zaha is legit imo and the main reason Crystal Palace are improved

I like loftus cheek too from cp but want to see amn get a shot in a 3 man midfield

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Take back what I said, I would want Carracso!

21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    941004148975206400 is not a valid tweet id

Pretty meh. May have an uptick in end product than before but he's still not great in any department except dribbling. Why not play our kids instead?

Not to derail into a transfer thread but it seems possible we'd be in for Lemar as soon as Sanchez is sold. Which I'm not super excited about.

Tonerl repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting that the club is leaking against Sanchez

With Ozil playing for his new deal/transfer I guess Alexis becomes the scape goat

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lemar gonna end up at CM

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd be okay with that if we got him. Could finally have a successor to Santi

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lemar is not gonna be a santi

More like iwobi in the cm role he rarely plays

I think we need another wide scorer

Draxler?