Alexis Sanchez... so damn good we take you for granted!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jun 5, 2015.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He did very well in the one stint he had at lone striker, which has also been Arsenal's best run in the last four years.

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the games I saw him play as lone ST the last 2 seasons were worse than having Welbeck up top. Would rather have a natural 9 with some speed then trying to figure out how to find a place for Walcott.

3. The Angel

The Angel Member

May 24, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jack Wilshere £90k 2018
    Santi Cazorla £90k 2017 (new contract?)
    Mesut Özil £140k 2018
    Alex Iwobi £30k 2020
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain £65k 2018
    Lucas Perez £70k 2020
    Theo Walcott £110k 2019
    Olivier Giroud £100k 2018
    Alexis Sánchez £140k 2018
    Danny Welbeck £70k 2019

There is easily enough fat to trim there to make competitive offers to Sanchez and Ozil; I suppose ultimately it boils down to 1) whether we truly want them next year and 2) whether they would do without CL football for a year.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd rather have a proper 9 too, but those guys cost 50 million quid. And Walcott's time at CF in 2015/2016 was really good. I don't know if he'd work as a 9 in the 3-4-2-1, but I think it's worth a shot.

5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're not though. Mandzukic is an exception, not the rule. Most forwards in elite teams are productive.

With regards to the EPL, only the Chelsea team of 04-06 had a low-productivity striker in Drogba. Otherwise, every single EPL winning team has high-productivity forwards.

You don't want Welbeck gone even though he's mediocre at dribbline, playmaking, and scoring....

Good athleticism and work-rate is not enough. Just as we demand more from Ozil (particularly to score more goals) we should demand more from everyone else too. Welbeck is doing the bare minimum of what we should expect from our forwards.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welbeck is much better at almost every facet of the game than theo

He's stronger, not as fast but better aerially and makes the right runs

He's a physical threat and stretches the defence

Finishing can improve, remember ade???

I'm all for going for a good striker but who is available?

Romfordray repped this.
  7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welbeck is better than Theo at everything but the things forwards are judged most by: productivity (goals and assists.)

daedalus repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Theo also stretches the defense, and his off the ball movement has always been fantastic.

Welbeck's taller, yes, and better with his head, and is better at pressing. That's about it.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Adebayor was like 22/23

Welbeck is 26

he not getting better

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We will see

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was going to say something snarky, but saw something about Welbeck being an G=xG finisher. Umm, what?

thebigman repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And that lasted, what, 9 games?

I try not to.

- - - - -

Disregarding the Wenger factor...

How much of the deals for Sanchez and/or Ozil might be about saving face with other big name players/agents? Personally I'm more afraid of the knock-on effect of Arsenal losing 1 or both than I am about actually missing them on the pitch. The team is already facing a decline in relative worth to sponsors and players as it is, so losing these guys would no doubt validate the capitulation, making it even harder to attract talent. For that reason alone I might be compelled to sign them, but it seems every solution is decidedly imperfect.

This all f*****g sucks.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but he got hurt (as a sub in a League Cup game of all things), and then Cazorla got hurt that was the end of that. He also started the FA Cup final up top, and was pretty devastating there, even if that was against Villa.

thebigman repped this.
  14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't disagree with your argument. However, what does it do to the team if you more than double their salary? You are paying them 250-300k per week with the next highest person making just above 100k.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Isn't this the norm at most every big club? Nature of the business when you combine an insular market with free agency. The converse can also play out and that's Arsenal's problem wherein you have several non-contributing assets making huge dollars. Ozil may not deserve tons more than Koz but he deserves a lot more compared to, say, Perez or Theo.

Further, there's the notion of how much it might cost Arsenal to lose those players. Can we cut costs enough to compensate for loss of CL money? Will that hurt chances of getting back into CL? Will it impact Arsenal's appeal to sponsors?

Personally I'm hoping they both sign for the 250k range that appears to be their respective floor. If they love Arsene that much and know the club needs money for other players then let's see them prove it.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welbeck opens space for the likes of ramsey and sanchez when he runs wide and also provides an outlet across the whole of the top end of the pitch with his runs

Don't just look at finishing as football now, is about more than that

It is about dual roll players who are not one dimensional

daedalus repped this.
  17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen a couple rumors in the last hour suggesting that Ozil has agreed to sign for 280k GBP per week

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But how is Welbeck not one dimensional? Welbeck's opening up of spaces aren't half as valuable as Giroud actually combining with runners. Look at all the goals runners combine with Giroud. In Ramsey's best season, like a third of his goals involved Giroud. A forward needs actual technical productivity to be good enough to be a regular for Arsenal. Welbeck just doesn't do that often enough.

Ljungberg used to run around a lot as well, but he could also get double digit goals.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welbeck main issue is health

He would score 15 a year if he played all year

Much better player than giroud imo

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would suggest those two statements contradict themselves at least a little.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe Giroud has scored more than 15 a year while playing all year.

Romfordray repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friendly reminder that this is the Alexis Sanchez thread. ;)

Rickdog repped this.
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not just about goals

I beleive the beam would function better and hisbteam mates score more than if giroud plays

Giroud is a great target man but we need a mobile guy

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah

Welbeck can't be our primary #9 next season if this club is genuine about winning more than the FA Cup.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Wellbeck is garbage and it shows how far we've fallen that this is even a discussion. Plus only Arsenal sell good players to their rivals, nobody selling us a player that can actually help us win titles only we are that naive.

Fifty and DaPrince84 repped this.