Alexis Sanchez... so damn good we take you for granted!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jun 5, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first year at the club just ended. Unbelievable skill, tenacity & energy. Carried the team on his back in the first half of the season. Easily our MVP.

And yet, no official thread for him on this board, hello? Ozil's got one. Koz. Rosicky. Even Zelalem for Pete sake!

Last night I noticed on my DVR an upcoming profile of Sanchez June 13 3:30am on BBC World News. And I wanted to post it into his official thread. So I went searching. And searching. And searching. No thread.

OK. Now there is! And here's a thank you letter...

Sorry Alexis for taking you for granted, but I think that's what it boiled down to.

You've been so incredibly effective, immediate, skillful, awesome, quick, tireless, reliable... that we sort of forgot how lucky we felt right after you started the season with us. Right into top gear.

And how you've single-handedly allowed our team to go up a notch this year on many fronts.

I for one appreciated your contributions, every single time I saw you take the pitch for us this season (52 times in fact!)

But I do admit I grew a bit complacent, knowing you would always be in our XI if fit, and knowing that even when you had a dip in form, you'd still be head and shoulders above many others.

Gracias, gracias Alexis Sanchez! :D

p.s. You won't be given much of a break this summer. And I guess you relish this non-stop demand. But please try to get some rest along the way, OK? ;)

2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FA Cup goal . . . .o_O:eek::thumbsup:

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsene talking about Alexis and Alexis about Arsene.Good stuff.
    We have Alexis and Ozil.... 3 years ago, thagt would have been stuff of dreams!

Arsene on Alexis : "He has the potential to be among the Arsenal greats"
    Alexis on Arsene : "He is a legend"

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BBC short Alexis profile. Great stuff!

ArsenalJake repped this.
  5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More Alexis.....And Santi doing his Alexis impersonation...;)

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    World Class player but he really needs to stop being an idiot at times and let Ozil do the hard work for him.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think we take him for granted...

aphex repped this.
  8. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    like luis suarez, one of the main reasons he's been such a hit in england is because of his hard work. not sure why he should start relying on other players to do what he is clearly superior at.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 NorthBank, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    OK, but answer me this then... why until now did he not have an official thread on this board? :eek:

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    when i say that, I mean he doesnt need to dribble everyone.

Run into space, and Ozil will find him.

And Suarez is a much smarter player than Sanchez.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Prince might have been joking about letting Ozil do more work. But I agree that a big part of why he's been appreciated is his work ethic. Certainly it makes a huge impression on me. And it was a big part of what frustrated me about Ozil in his first year, but lately he's turned that around it seems. Sanchez is my new Ljungberg. And then some. Freddie is one of my all-time fav's, but if Sanchez keeps this up in the coming years, there won't be much comparision I figure.

Edit: Aha, Prince clarified what he meant while I was writing this. All good.

12. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    #12 goonermaui, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    BBC World News is my 'switch-on' channel and the documentary had just started when I tuned in Thursday evening.

Here are the upcoming broadcast times, you can click 'show more' to see them all.
    Beware: Some broadcast times shown in GMT (not BST) and some in your LOCAL TIME.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3csy469…

Alexis Sanchez Uncovered
    Football Focus

Football Focus speak exclusively to Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez and travel to Chile to meet those who influenced him most. Tucked away in the North of Chile hemmed in by desert and surrounded by mines lies a small town called Tocopilla. This isolated fishing port has become known the world over thanks to its most famous son.
    This is one man's story of how he overcame poverty and hardship to become a global footballing star and give back to the town that made him who he is today.

13. CA_Gooner

CA_Gooner Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Fallbrook, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here is the Sanchez Uncovered video from BBC. Great to see where he came from. Made me like him even more after I saw this.

darcgun and aphex repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the 90 in 30 for Chile-Uruguay... quite an intense match. Sanchez seemed strong in attack but Vidal really was a tad more dangerous. You can see why the Gov't bent the rules when he had his Ferrari DUI the other day. Spineless as their decision was!

Anyway, on one hand I'd like to see Alexis go to the final of CA for his sake, but for Arsenal's sake, I'm a little worried about him getting injured (that late foul/redcard on him last night could've done him in). Also worried about increasing his burn out, which seemed to have begun in the 2nd half of our season.

15. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    correct me if i'm wrong, but has the government really bent any rules here? sampaoli has perhaps been spineless by keeping vidal in the squad, and he is the one who has come under some questioning. even if there hadn't been a major tournament going on, i doubt his date in court would have been immediate.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. My "spineless" comment was more directed at manager and federation (I said this in a post I made in the other teams thread at the time). I heard police took away his license, but did they give him special treatment? (hard to imagine they didn't) I also heard Chile's DUI laws are strict and that his BAC level would normally require 2+ months in jail (but will they treat him equally to any other Chilean in this regard?)

17. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    just hope he can be great over the long haul.. potential breaker of Henry's record, and i want to see his statue outside the ground in 2030 or whenever. :D if there's no Ian Wright statue by that time, the board or whoever needs a licking.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are some nice positive thoughts about Sanchez's future with us, but he's come to us 4 years older than Henry was when he arrived. That, plus a bunch of other factors, will make breaking Henry's record nigh on impossible. But even if he doesn't score as many goals, but he stays as long as Henry did and maintains his importance to the club, then a statue is a distinct possibility. BUT those are some pretty darn big IF's!

19. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know a whole lot about Alexis before he came to Arsenal last season. He was fantastic in his first season with Arsenal. I don't know where he gets all his energy from, but I hope he can keep that up for many seasons to come. An absolute joy to watch him on the pitch.

20. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dennis has one...he came when he was 26 lol.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DB10 is probably my favorite gunner of all time. But he did not come close to breaking henry's goal record. Which is what we were talking about with Sanchez and his age.

22. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really looking forward to the Copa final tomorrow. Good Luck to Alexis and his teammates.

Winning the Copa in Santiago would surely fuel his fire to win the Premier League title as well (that is, once he fully recovers from his "offseason")

23. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club: