Alex Morgan - Deconstructed

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Bingo. The name in the books for that goal is English, not German.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So then the US scored four, the Germans three, and the English two, if you wish to reckon it that way-- still a total of nine and Morgan still scored 22.2 % of them whichever way you see it, no?

3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    That's some bad reporting...
    Does the article mention Morgan has been injured for the last two years and had to work her way into fitness during the WC? Does it mentioned how her runs open up the entire back of defenses...allowing for Lloyd and others to have space?

skybolt and jackiesdad repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I said at some point somewhere at some time :))) this is a pro Press or pro Dunn article masquerading as a story about Morgan. If u want to put forth an argument for Press or Dunn, and either is fair, then do that. Dont write an article about why the current starter isnt worthy.

5. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Nice post!

6. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I have often asked that as well. Ten goals, including both in the final, and clearly light years ahead of everyone else in skill, ability, game knowledge and drive to win. Maybe the voters thought she was too good to get the award.

7. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    It's nice to see her come alive after the negative article to which I linked that started this thread in the first place!

8. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    She was never dead in the first place (and she's not Peter Frampton either).

CoachJon and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well,no.

I'm pretty sure own goals don't count towards a golden shoe award. Only eight goals did.

25% seems a more valid reckoning.

Were any other goals recorded as OG's?

10. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    This is certainly a great clip and shows her deft touch to chip the ball over Bartusiak and then volley it out of the air before the keeper could get to it. But the whole play was set up by Morgan's slowing down to put her body between Peter and the ball as it's flying over her head. Knowing that she could out-accelerate Peter, she holds up until the ball hits the ground, so that by the time she takes her first touch, she is 5 yards ahead of Peter. Here's a better look at the whole thing:

An incredibly wonderful play by a striker at the top of her game right now.

11. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch!

Semblance17 repped this.
  12. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with Bartusiak's and Peter's disciplined defending. They did not foul Morgan on the play.

13. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    In Peter's case, I don't think it was for lack of trying. Morgan just obliterated her by the way she held her off, and thereby she rendered Peter impotent. By the time Morgan reached the ball, Peter wasn't in the same time zone, so she couldn't foul if she wanted to. I guess Bartusiak could have grabbed Morgan as she went by, but I think the whole thing happened so fast, she didn't realize what a dangerous position Morgan put herself in with just one touch.

Cliveworshipper, skybolt and taosjohn repped this.
  14. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Her goal vs. Germany in the friendly cup was pretty damned amazing.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    What made it amazing was Klings steal and assist.

16. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Ball control by Morgan was the single best bit of skill in that whole sequence to me, but yep, assist was good too.

jackiesdad, BrooklynSoccer and Namdynamo repped this.
  17. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    That whole play had me jumping up and yelling (in my basement).

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hopefully u have a full height ceiling.

mamalia repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What made it amazing was the German defender was climbing all over Klingenberg and she still looked up, found Morgan and weighted the pass. The play would have been hard enough if Kling was just standing in space with the ball.

Cliveworshipper repped this.