Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people have gotten a little carried away because of how good he looked in the CONCACAF finals. He’s a very talented player and has grown a ton the last 2-3 years, but I think he’s going to have to adjust to when he starts playing games in Germany. It’s going to be different for him and I think we will have to have some patience.

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll have to adjust to being on a roster with no Americans, a different language, a different culture, and on top of that a level of soccer that he hasn't played before. I like the kid, but some people saying he'll make the first team bench by the end of the season are being way too optimistic.

In my opinion, I think that's an impossible task. Even getting on the bench before the next winter break would be an incredibly impressive feat. My hope is that he gets a few games in the spring of next season.

Tom Collingsworth and bballshawn repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. No one has done that yet although Adams might but he's older and has a lot of MLS games under his belt.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    came and played 12 min off the bench in a 3-1 win over Karlsruher U19.

5. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Debut right?

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes, since it's the 1st game post Winter break. 11 games to go for the U19 season and all 00s as they graduate this season.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    played entire 2nd half in a 3-2 loss to Frankfurt U19.

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    got his 1st start but only lasted 60 min before being subbed out (1st sub used) in a 2-1 loss to Mainz U19.

wixson7, Pl@ymaker, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    played full game in a 3-1 loss to Ingolstadt U19.

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    only lasted the 1st half as he along with another 2 players were subbed out in a 1-0 loss, was 1-0 HT when subbed out.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went 90' in a 4-0 win today. He didn't score any of the goals but there's no info on the assists yet.

13. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Assist for the first goal.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    scored a brace in a 3-3 draw vs Hoff U19 playing 85 min. First goals for the club after playing 8 games in all competition.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I never sausage a terrible post.

19. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    I watched the whole match and aside from the goals, Mendez's performance was about par for the course for him this spring. Generally clean and confident on the ball. Some elegant moments, a tiny bit of wastefulness. Couldn’t get on the ball enough. Only ~30 touches as a central midfielder. The game is too frenetic from his teammates, every weekend. Everyone is very direct. Turn and go. Tons of looseness in possession and hard tackling. He took most of the set pieces and they were generally sub-par.

Defensively (which is really the key thing for him if he wants to move up quickly to the first team) I thought Mendez was too easy to pass around in the buildup to Hoffenheim’s first goal, though it’d be harsh to blame the goal on him. Ball sprayed out wide after he got one-twoed and was crossed in. I counted 5 good defensive interventions, which is encouraging. He's not going to suddenly get faster, so he just needs to be smarter and more committed to disrupting what the other team is doing. Seems like he's aware of it and is working on it. Definitely looks better defensively today than he did for the U20s in November.

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Kid can strike a ball

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pegasus repped this.
  23. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to think not many of these players are going to go to Germany from the outset anymore then, rather start careers in the States, who are paying them several times more on their initial contracts, giving them early p.t. against young men in the 2nd division which is higher than the youth leagues over there most likely, and 1st division teams are being more inclined to integrate them. The exceptions who still go are probably dependent upon multiple factors - the financial security of their families, how much they're inclined to gamble, their hg club's rep, etc.