ALERT! League-Mandated Rivalry Cup: Crew v Toronto Argonauts Co-Tenant FC | Match 27 - 8/17/19 19:30

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 8/17/19 match vs Toronto?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2019.
  1. Win by two or more goals

12.1%
  2. Win by one goal

32.8%
  3. Hell Is Real Loss (aka Canadian Win (née Tie))

13.8%
  4. Lose by one goal

8.6%
  5. Caleb Porter Disasterclass (formerly Lose by two or more goals)

13.8%
  6. Got a Room: Crew allow >13 shots, Room makes ≥2 saves & Crew win (worth 2 points!!)

15.5%
  7. "Two attackers diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not mark both..." - Connor Maloney

3.4%
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prove it. Betcha other strikers have and do. It's part of the game. There have been a couple of other folks in this thread who have compared his stats with other players at his level.

It's more that we tend to remember the ones that hurt our team the most.

I played striker for many years. Some days I couldn't buy a goal. Others? They went in when they shouldn't have. I had one where I missed horribly--and then the ball the the heel of my trailing foot as I'd overrun the ball and trickled into the corner. Strikers often are streaky.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Having watched professional soccer for 57 years at a high level, there are times when a striker misses goals he feels he should have. Zardes missed 4 goals from within the six yard box. For me to prove that in these 57 years that I've watched someone else hasn't had that stretch is ridiculous.

stanger repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just as silly to say that he's the only one that has....

Seriously, though (and I am not being snarky), how have you been managing to watch pro soccer at a high level for 57 years?? I'm 63 and I can't say that. Are you originally from overseas? Watching soccer here in the states (at a high level) regularly was pretty much impossible, outside of a couple televised world cup matches, until Soccer Made in Germany came along in the late 1970s--and those were condensed matches. I'm not sure I consider the old NASL "high level", mind you, though I did go to a fair amount of Atoms matches back in the day.

4. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I was born in Darmstadt and lived there in the sixties when the Bundesliga started. I started watching Germany National Team matches in 1962, Bundesliga matches in 1963 (the few that made it to TV), went to my first Bundesliga game in 1965, collected the player cards in the sixties, and then followed from afar after I moved across the ocean.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tip of the hat to that. My first BL game (live) was in 1978, though I'd been watching SMIG for a couple of years before that. Twas quite odd to come home that summer and watch the summer reruns of games I'd attended.

6. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I remember a Bundesliga without Bayern and where the second Borussia was in Neunkirchen, not Monchengladbach. A Bundesliga with Preussen Munster and Saarbrucken.

Good old times when there was parity and the trophy (plate in Germany) didn't have Bayern Munchen pre-inscribed into it.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got interested in about 1973. Was in downtown Hannover that spring (HS short-term exchange) and was trying to figure out what was going on with all the fans going crazy for a 16th place finish.... Asked my buddy across the street at home about it (his dad was German). Became a Gladbach fan at about that time due to my German teacher's subscription to a number of German magazines--one of them was Mickey Maus--and one issue had a picture of Worlgang Kleff in it... I still have that picture, somewhere.:D