Alejandro Melean in Bolivia?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looks like he's an '87 defender from Miami who played at Holy Cross and is now at Oriente Petrolero. Unfortunately, the club's web site seems to not exist, so this is cobbled together from a few sources I'm not 100% convinced of. Will try to find out more...

2. avinha

avinha Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Here's his youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ale10m?feature=mhee

from the man himself:

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to change the thread title. No question mark needed. Melean is a YA at Oriente Petrolero

Melean is one of the rising stars of the Bolivian leauge and he played well in the Copa Libertadores this year

Here's a brand new interview with him

MELEAN ON THE RISE IN BOLIVIA

4. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9s1SKl_sI"]ALEJANDRO MELEAN GOLANSPORTS - YouTube[/ame]

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for the interview, bshredder.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can somehow make it to the Argentine Primera or Brazilian Liga then he'd be worth some consideration for the Nats.

7. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    No link for you, but he was just called up to Bolivias team for qualifying games against Argentina and Venezuela. Seems like a prize for his form lately, I doubt very highly that he sees the field.

He's a case of a guy whose improved tremendously since he arrived. I didn't think he'd even make the squad when he got there, he was very raw, he's still raw but he's a quick learner and is improving quickly. His team is in a good spot to qualify for Libertadores and they've already qualified for next years Sudamericana.

Don't know if this cap ties him though, I think the US has a lot of depth though so this shouldn't be a big blow.

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only cap-ties him to Bolivia if he steps on the field and plays.

But, I can confirm what you said: he is on the Bolivian team.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Received a red card in the 77th minute of today's match.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Sciaretta @BrianSciaretta

Yesterday in Bolivia's 4-1 WCQ win vs Uruguay, American CB Alejandro Melean was cap-tied to Bolivia. Holy Cross alum is an underrated player

Testudo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's interesting about Melean, who was born and raised in the USA, is that he left college just looking for an MLS tryout. He couldn't even get one.

Since then he's put on strong performances in the Copa Libertadores and been capped by Bolivia in a 4-1 win over Uruguay in a World Cup qualifier.

Testudo, sakibomb523 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks to lose a talent like that but at least we know that we are producing.

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Some players just don't work in certain systems or leagues.... yet can blossom in others.

I hope for Melean, he can be Bolivia's next good defensive mid.

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. it's certainly an interesting case. Melean wasn't the typical American dual national who spent most of his formative years in another country.

Melean is truly a product of American soccer. He was born in Miami and played in the United States consistently all the way through four years of NCAA soccer with Holy Cross - which is not even a strong college program.

He would have played in MLS and for US Soccer if he was given a shot. Despite him not playing for the United States internationally, his success is good for American soccer.

15. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he wanted to play in for a country were all every thing goes mad for 90min. That altitude is a trip, players pinging shots from all over the pitch, I feel bad for the keepers.

I've seen a few Bolivia home matches and you'll see visiting players 25-30 minutes in with hands on their hips, I don't know how they do it.

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meh.... altitude is overrated. :p No doubt it plays some part.... but it isn't EVERYTHING...

Bolivia's record at home so far this qualifier proves that, and in last qualifiers losing at home a good amount...

With that said, I think melean has come out stating he would have played for either NT that would call him first.

SoCalYid repped this.
  17. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a reminder of how many guys slip through the cracks given the flaws in our youth development system, many of them not dual nationals who might not have access to a Plan B elsewhere, as Melean fortunately did. Also a more robust minor league system might have kept this guy here. Continued good luck to him with Bolivia. Our loss.

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started & went 84 minutes for Oriente Petrolero in a 1-0 win over Uruguay's Nacional in the Copa Libertadores tonight

USvsIRELAND, m vann, Gorky and 2 others repped this.
  19. MADPUPPY

MADPUPPY Member

Apr 4, 2000
    #19 MADPUPPY, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Yup. No altitude either. 1st half, Oriente dominated and mustered one goal. Very open first half.

Second half, Oriente just put players to the back. Nacional also surprisingly played defensively in the 2nd half as well. Boring, but pitch was horrible.

20. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is cap-tied to Bolivia but completely behind the USMNT in Brazil

[​IMG]

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Had some minutes vs. Spain and Greece.

Looked decent.

Rumors were spreading that he was going to be one of the reinforcements for Bolivar (one of four teams left in the libertadores)--but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Starting tonight vs. Mexico.

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The condition of Dick's sporting goods' stadium--mainly the grass is AMAZING! Such a nice pitch. Enjoying that more than Bolivia's play right now.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The tactical shape is all wrong. Azkargorta needs to go.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Tell me about it. There's a need for total reform with our football. The head honcho though is tied into the Conmebol Mafia. Bolivar's Billionaire owner stepped up to take him out of office in the recent election just 2 weeks ago among other strong candidates. He figured out how to make them ineibigle with some 'writing' in the FBF's constitution or something, so it was only him and a guy that had no chance left. He won essentially all the votes minus the 5 guys that ran against him.

Claure, Bolivar's owner (sprint's new CEO), is going to complain to FIFA directly, not to conmebol for obvious reasons.

Chavez, the current and never leaving president of the FBF said he wants to keep Azkargorta on. Why? He needs to go. He did great for Bolivar, but I think his time has even ran out with them also. He lost this team, the public and looks like the players to out there not giving a shit.

Raldes our captain is in over his head and was ran all over the field vs Ecuador. He's too slow, but at one point was a serious quality defender. We just need a guy with new ideas with little to no ties to bolivia. Azkargorta is too 'bolivian' now and from what I saw on facebook from friends that are tied to 'santa cruz' and their 'fraternity' of ex players, he has his own click of guys that he eats and drinks with which I think doens't help his player selection for the NT.

The guy is leaving out some crucial players that could help us right now because of his 'connections'. He needs to go.

I heard that Julio Falcioni, ex Boca coach and current Universidad Catolica coach in Chile may be leaving his spot there soon. He was once tied to Bolivia as a candidate. I think he'd be great. THere's also whispers of two of the better internal coaches taking over, but that's another discussion I will save for another thread.

Anyway--I hope Melean maybe one day comes to MLS to play--but I don't know if that would ever happen. He may be just at the NASL level if that ever happens...

ImaPuppy repped this.