Alejandro Bedoya signs with swedish Örebro SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by david_c, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol Rangers.

Maybe their opinion of Bedoya has lowered. This definitely does not make Bedoya feel good.

Honestly, I hope some Dutch team sweeps in for him. The less Americans in the SPL the better (go to France Edu..).

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he can sign elsewhere now that he has a contract with Rangers starting in January.

4. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - as Seltzer points out, Orebro would likely take SOME amount of cash from Rangers for him now rather than watch him go to Rangers in January on a free...

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2011/08/verdicts-in.html

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I don't think he should have did that.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He would be called "Alessandro" in Italy and "Alex" in Brazil/Portugal.

:D

7. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me crazy but I would rather see Ale in the Championship or Eredivisie over the SPL. I just don't rate the SPL highly at all.

8. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Not if some cash = peanuts. They would become the laughingstock of the league.

9. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Because they've submitted a lower bid? Maybe that's because they realise that his contract with Örebro is nearing expiration and are chancing their arm at getting him for a nominal fee, rather than having to wait until January? I don't see why it shouldn't make Bedoya, 'feel good', the fact that they have agreed a pre-contract with him should be an indication that they feel he can bring something positive to the team.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    unless you are an orthopedist looking for patients ;)

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While there's a lot of nonsense about the SPL on these boards, I do think there's a rational case for not wanting our players to go to Scotland. It has to do with the disparity in quality within the league. If a player is good enough for Celtic or Rangers, he's also good enough for a number of clubs in bigger leagues where he'll be facing better competition on a week-in, week-out basis.

For example, there were rumors that Groningen was interested in Bedoya. I would rather have a player facing Eredivisie competition every week than facing lower-half SPL teams 18 games a year.

It's a product of the chasm between the Old Firm and the rest. By the time a player finally makes it to Old Firm quality, there are usually possibilities in at clubs that aren't so dominant domestically, but which are in much stronger leagues.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Guys, let's not forget this is a job for these players. They go where they can get paid the most. They also have to go somewhere that is willing to pay them.

So, in Bedoya's case, Rangers stepped up. Presumably, if he had a better offer, he'd have taken it. Since he hasn't, I think it's safe to say that as of when he signed his deal, Rangers was the best team to show a willingness to pay him.

Ergo, he signs with Rangers. Pretty cut and dried.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the roughness is not nonsense. The play is pretty brutal.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I'm completely with you on that. Players are entitled to go where they please -- but observers are entitled to have their preferences as well, howsoever meaningless they may be.

It's a rough league, but it's roughness relative to other leagues is overstated.

15. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL is rougher I'd say. The players in Scotland are actually not that athletic. For instance Beram Kayal will probably miss time for Celtic because he got scythed by Didier Drogba this week in international play. The Beasley thing has been debunked numerous times because he got his worst injury in Europe. The real problem with teams in the SPL is the lack of adequate physical therapy. Injuries always seem to nag a little longer than they should when comparing them to other places.

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't get as excited about this move now that Rangers isn't playing in CL. That is a huge part of what makes playing for Celtic/Rangers tolerable. You have to play a shity team every other week, but at least had CL to look forward to. Ugh........

17. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Europa League that bad to you or did you forget Rangers are still in Europe?

18. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed!

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    except, of course, that no Ams I can think of have gotten bad injuries in Scotland, while Reyna and Holden, to name two, got badly hurt in the EPL, one of them twice. Gooch got done with the USMNT. Let's see. Where did Mathis do his knee - oh yeah, Metro's practice. Let's see? John O'Brien ruined his achilles at ... oh wait, the Ered. Think, think we'll come up with someone ...

Actually, the most dangerous thing in Scotland used to be Rangers physios. It wasn't so much getting hurt as getting better once you got hurt. They used eyes of newts and such. seems to have gotten better.

Seriously, you have a much great chance, I think, getting badly hurt in the EPL - the players there are big, fast and agile. In the SPL the brutes are slower, in general, and nimble players generally do not get hit hard that often.

It is not a pretty league, but I've been challenging guys for a couple of years now to provide some sort of statistics that show the SPL has a higher rate of injury and it hasn't been done - cause I don't think it's true.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Please both Beasley AND Edu got hacked down there. Maurice took at least one total, targeted hack job which was meant to hurt him, and did. Beasley would not protect himself enough there and on 20/80 challenges, the Scottish guys go in (with 20% chance of getting ball) and clean him out.

In other leagues, that's a yellow or red. In Scotland, just a foul or good hard play.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bease's worst injury came at PSV, vs. Shalke I think?? And Bease was also hurt at City. It's just silly to keep claiming somthing you have no evidence to back up.

You maybe missed the tackle on Holden. Or haven't seen De Jong play - for Aberdeen ... oh wait no.

The SPL has plenty of problems and plenty of guys who go in too hard, but I see no evidence there are more than a good number of other leagues.

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is the result of a lower level of skill relative to other leagues.

The SPL may be not be rougher or more dangerous than the EPL, Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga, but the players are definitely less skillful, making the rough play stand out a bit more, IMO.

MLS has plenty of "thuggish" defenders, but you also have players like Ferreira, Morales, Beckham, Henry, Bravo, De Rosario, Le Toux, Rosales, Chara, Chiumiento, Feilhaber, etc. peppered throughout the league instead of concentrated on a couple teams. And they're adding more like Adu, Jeferson, Camargo and Pardo,

So when they get taken out like they have this year (Ferreira, Morales, Zakuani, Boskovic), its detrimental to the league in quality and aesthetically.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le Toux ain't that good.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Beasley had several injury issues at Rangers, but his most serious problem came during a match against a hack-filled, lower-tier Scottish club called VfB Stuttgart.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Agreed. Personally, I think he'd be better off with a mediocre team in the Portuguese 1st division for example, face an overall higher level of competition, etc.

But as Sandon said, you go where the best offers are.