Alejandro Bedoya signs with swedish Örebro SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by david_c, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    UEFA banned Rangers fans from traveling to their next away game in the CL qualification round for naughty songs.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Im pretty sure I saw him cross himself during GC.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why do people keep posting this silliness? Do you have any stats at all that SPL is more dangerous than EPL? Ask Stu Holden, or Reyna or DeJong or ...

There is something to be said for a little Europa too - even if just for a few games.

4. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Dude, DaMarcus Beasley is all the evidence we need.

Seriously, my bigger knock on moving to Rangers is that the level of competition in the SPL isn't that great. On the other hand, while it's against weaker competition, there is constant pressure since any points dropped hurt the chances of winning a title since Celtic isn't dropping any.

The trade off, obviously, is a near-lock at six UCL matches per season along with either UCL knockout rounds or EL knockout rounds.

5. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio Reyna is Catholic and played for them...interesting article from SI back in the day that talks about the Old Firm and how Rangers would instruct there Catholic players not to cross themselves while on the field: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1015917/index.htm

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very good piece of business for the Rangers.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to say what's silly, otherwise, you haven't said anything. Why the need to compare to the EPL? I don't think he should go there either. Both leagues are pretty physical, but obviously the EPL offers something much more, but that's irrelevant to what I posted, as England wasn't in my list of targets.

Bedoya would be better served going to a technical league where he can develop rather than going to a physical league that likely won't improve him much as a player.

Rangers are a big club in a small pond. As someone noted, there is a lot of pressure not to drop any points, there is the sectarian nonsense, and I'm not sure he'll learn much that he hasn't already in Sweden.

The pace may be a bit faster. The pressure will definitely be higher. He'll get some Champs League matches. There are some positives. I just don't think overall this will turn out to be the best move for him.

Having said that, if he wanted to move and there were no better offers, you take what you can get. It's somewhat of a crapshoot. He'll get more media attention at Rangers, which could lead to a more advantageous transfer. I understand why he might want to go there.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Okay... but DMB is 5'8" and weighs about 13 grams. Bedoya is a solidly-built, shoulder-throwing 5'10".

9. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Örebro demand $1 million. Rangers offered almost half.

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Beasley's two worst injuries occurred in a Dutch league game and a Champions League game.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Gooch should put in a word for him at Sporting.

12. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Agreed, am a bit disappointed he didn't land in France or Netherlands.

But yeah if he does well with Rangers, lower table EPL clubs who regularly poach talent from SPL could come calling.

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious where Rangers will play Bedoya. I think his potential is greatest centrally as a number 8, but Rangers like Bob Bradley may see him more as a wide player. Time will tell.

Overall a good move for Bedoya.

14. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ja tis a very good question. I can see them moving Davis back inside and throwing Bedoya out on the right flank. I've never seen Bedoya in the middle, so I don't quite know if he's what they need there. Davis can do the job, though, so I'm thinking this will be the case.

Time will tell, though!

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dude - I think this is in jest, but it really is getting old from certain posters.

There are many reasons to rag on the SPL and Rangers. It is not a very competitive league, there is a huge range in quality, there are a lot of games if you go deep in one of the 37 domestic cups and manage to stay in Europa past Christmas. These days you're always on the verge of going bust etc.

But more Ams have been hurt in the EPL (Reyna played for years in SPL with only minor ankle knocks - and did his ACL after a short stint in the EPL. Holden's been creamed a couple of time in the EPL. Bease has his worst injuries in the Netherlands etc. etc.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Glad to hear Bedoya is making his move up. Though I like everyone else would have figured he'd be heading to France or Holland, it's still all good.

17. Bobbyho36

Bobbyho36 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13 grams? No wonder he gets knocked off the ball so easily. ;)

18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    So why didn't Bedoya play today?

19. Pennybridge

Pennybridge New Member

May 14, 2010
    Club:
    Orebro SK
    He is still injured. He should be available for the next game though.

I really don't like his club choice. I've talked with some friends that are Rangers supporters and read some interviews. It seems like they mainly see Bedoya as a winger. He's a good player, but he isn't a winger. He should play as a central midfielder. Netherlands or France would suit him much better.

20. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    not happy to say i have to concur with the reservations about Ale fitting in, or even getting an authentic chance to shine at Rangers this upcoming season. If he's a semi-regular sub in league play and top sub occasional starter in Scottish Cup & some European play that would be a realistic success. Chances are just too high for my comfort that the weight of expectations for total success and rabid fans & media might eat him alive... not to mention the real threat of brutal tackling from overmatched league opponents. Wishing Ale luck though, he is more talented than US fans seem to recognize at this point

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just knowing he was going to be playing the SPL in January knocked him out with a pre-emptive injury - such is the uncontainable power, brutality and hurlybury of the Scottish League.

22. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And its racism. Don't forget the racism.

23. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
  24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...not to mention that the argy-bargy is just inhumane!

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Anyone know how much Rangers is offering him? Compared to what he's making at Orebro I mean?