Alcantara say NO to the Chaleston Battery offer!

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by ischia05, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Reynier Alcantara declined to sign the ridiculous offer from the Charleston Battery and the signing for the Bermudez (Cuban defender) is still unclear.
    No clue nor understand the Battery's state of mind, but I guess they are under the impression that a Cuban refugee is desperate enough that he will take any crappy offer thrown at him. WRONG! Unfortunately, in this case the results are losing a very fit, quality player with years of international experience to a college kid that will end up costing more money. Way to go Anhauser…you’re so smart! Real pisser for the fans though.....More details on the way.........

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks if true. I understand he scored a goal over the weekend. I have no idea what the offer was but I know it cost about $5000 to get his (or any other player requiring a work permit) paperwork sorted out. Also, last year Alonso couldnt travel out of the country while waiting on his travel stuff to clear so he missed a few games. I hope he knows that the contract is only for the months the Battery plays. The Battery is a very professionally run team and have a set budget that they dont often stray from.

Hopefully Alcantara has the business sense to make a counter offer and realize that it isnt personal, its business.

I would like to see him suit up in a Battery Jersey

3. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba

Mike; I beg to differ with you as the Battery is by no means a professional run team! Perhaps later I will comment on some details of the offer that would blow your mind away. Alcántara came to the Battery 3 weeks ago from San Jose Earthquake's training camp were he was promised better pay and playing time with the Battery. Before his arrival he had all the required paperwork and it was done at no cost. Unfortunately, it seems like both you and I will not see him suit up in a Battery Jersey this season as he has left training camp today. Later I will post more details and how he got treated was indeed very personal and not in any shape or form business!

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Words: Lester More

5. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery should be ashamed of themselves. We are losing a very quality player in Reinier Alcantara. Mike Anhaeuser is sometimes a complete joke. What the hell is he thinking? Opening the season at Vancouver is very tough, it will be extremely tough to draw against them. Montreal is gonna come into Blackbaud and kick our butts more than likely. We will probably be 0 - 2 to start off the season. We need all the QUALITY players we can get. Nice one Anhaeuser. :mad:

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are quite a few player I wish the Battery had on there roster. Reality is there isnt enough money in the piggy bank, and Alcantara more than likely would not be able to travel out of the country so vancouver would have been a non-issue.

The old saying holds true here. there are three sides to every story, Alcantara, anhaeusere (who I dont think makes the contract offers) and the truth.

I wish I was a fly on the wall sometimes though....

7. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake, Alcantara, as Mikey said, would not be able to play in our first match against the Whitecaps of Vancouver. I wish i knew the truth of the whole situation, basically both sides of the story.

8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike is the Head Coach and General Manager of the club and Andrew is president. Mike makes the contract offers to potential players. He follows the guidelines set by the board of directors and the direction they want the club to follow, which is to win, but like any other business, to try and break even too.

9. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can this guy be rated as a quality player? He has not proven himself in a reputable league. Lester More was a higher rated player, prior to coming into the Battery camp last year and he was a bust. He was nice guy and worked hard, but he never showed the quality to match the hype. Look how well Alonso turned out last year and he was probably on a lot less money and had a lot less hype than More.

10. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I based that off of his International experience and his level of play in CCC. Mister Obvious, you dont think he would be a very nice addition to the team?

11. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played 2 halves in the CCC and didn't do too much. He was trying to take on too many defenders one-on-one and lost the ball most of the time. He did score on a nice header last Sunday, but it was against 19 & 20 year old college kids. I cannot make a fair assessment on a player, that I 've only seen for 2 hours. As for Intl experience, Lester More scored 29 goals on 60 caps for Cuba. Did you see that in him, when he played for us last year? We were saying the same things this time last year about him with all of his Intl. experience. Don't get me wrong, I liked Lester, he sat next to me on the way back from DC and was as nice as could be. Of course, I did have to wake him up, when we landed.

What it comes down to is, the Battery rated him enough to make an offer and he refused. Good luck to him where ever he lands.

12. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Did you watch Cuba-Mexico (Gold Cup 2007)? Did you see Panama-Cuba (Gold Cup 2007)? Have you seen the 2010 World Cup qualification match Cuba vs. Trinidad Tobago last august? If you did, then you could see for yourself how you can rate “this guy” as a quality player! That to me is reputable enough over any MLS or USL 1 team. Anheuser is a joke…. How can Alcántara prove himself when he gets only 15 min of play time in the first Carolina Cup Challenge against Toronto, 32 minutes against RSL where his goal was not counted? Lester More was never a caliber player and was not even a starter on the Cuban Team. Anheuser also benched him most of the time on the Battery squad last year and as well we all know that by itself can greatly demoralize a player, more so a 32 year old player.

13. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Isn't 19 & 20 year old college kids is what Anheuser is looking for? If you don't believe me than take a closer look at the full squad he has picked for the 2009 season. Lester more is not Alcantara and I don't even want to go there and in all fairness lets look at the facts. Alcantara was promised a better offer and more playing time by the Battery that what he was negotiating with the Earthquakes but it looked like Anheuser was only looking for players to fill the gap and play for him in the CCC against 3 MLS teams.

14. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm a Battery fan, but don't have near the level of knowledge or background on this team as do many of you....BUT, I have to ask about this statement....

WHY would Anheuser be only looking for players to fill a 10 day window or the CCC when he's trying to build a team for his season. I mean...the guys had only been together for approx a week when the Cup started, no? I think every team had different objectives during the Cup. Toronto stated they were there to win hardware...or it was at least speculated as much. DC? Not much hope of winnning, but more to finalize team preps before the season began.

I honestly think that Anheuser wasn't trying to do anything more than to assess what kind of team he has and where everyone fits into the mix. Did you see how many guys were sitting on the bench? He could have fielded nearly three teams.

I also believe that you cannot make your decisions (as a fan or outside observer) strictly by watching games--and PRESEASON games at that! The games that we get to see are actually the smallest part of the equation. So much more goes on behind the scenes and in training.

As I said, I don't pretend to have any inside knowledge of the Battery, or as much insight as many of you locals have....but, I'm not going to base my thoughts on this matter solely on one side of the story. I've only heard the one side of the story and there's definitely some bias to that side, which is perfectly OK.

Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. It sucks when they don't work out for people we want it to work out for...for whatever reason. They might be a friend, or they might help our team. It still sucks when it doesn't work out, but that's life and professional soccer and you have to move on to the next battle.

15. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Anheuser needed bodies to play the CCC cup, this is the fact! The amount of players you saw on the bench were mainly the invitees picked from an earlier tryout held earlier in the year. If you carefully read my comments on the Alcantara issue he was not an invitee but rather a player brought in from an MLS team for sole intention of signing him agreed to his terms and conditions. So Alcantara's departure yesterday suggest that Anheuser did not live up to his side of the deal. That's all there is....

16. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

I do have to ask if you are Alcantara himself...because you seemed to be more worked up about this than anyone. First off going into the CCC, anyone who really follows this games, knows that the Battery didnt really have a full squad, was missing 2 key players, and was in the middle of tryouts. Just because you get an invitation to "join" a club doesnt mean you have the contract in your hand when you land at Blackbaud. Maybe he didnt gel well with the team, maybe there was something that Auggie didnt like, maybe we just dont know what really happened. I do question Auggie but WE are not on the field...but just in the stands...so WE have to trust that everyone is making a decision to benefit the club. If he goes somewhere else and is stellar...well we were wrong but if he busts then we were right.....lets have this discussion at the end of the season which will be the only way to judge it.

And how was Auggie suppose to give everyone time to show what they could do during a 3 game span against MLS teams ready for their season to start? I mean are you REALLY being serious right now. Our season isnt for another 2 weeks. The Cup was moved up during our tryout session...what better way to hold "tryouts" then against competition with 3 quality sides?

And why dont you just tell us how he was treated or any of the insider information you SUPPOSEDLY have? Details on the way...what are you the Battery now for making us wait to see who will be on the final roster or not? lol.

One player doesnt make the team so lets move on from this guy...hes not on the team and no amount of crying on here will bring him to Charleston

17. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Erik my man dont think that....hes one player and we have plenty of quality players on our side. I know we suck on the road...but we have for the past couple of seasons...lol. But it cant get any worse then 4 wins in 2 yrs...lol.

18. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    The thread is not only about one guy on a team but rather the teams decision makers and reasons as to how they choose players and as fans who follow the team, I believe we have the right to discuss any matter on this thread as long it pretains to the battery and soccer without disrespecting anyone, even those who we do not agree to.:)

19. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Youre absoultly right. However my friend, you were the one making such a big deal about this. More then necessary unless you are the guy himself. I only wanted to hear the details because you claimed to know how he was treated...so i would like to hear what you heard...thats all. And everyone got crappy playing time during the CCC...not just him. Sure most of the "usual suspects" from last year got more playing time...but each game had 1 squad the first half and 1 squad the second. Hell even the announcers were different at different points of the game.

If he got screwed he got screwed. He was offered a contract and denied it. We dont (well i dont and im sure most dont) know for how much and how long but in the end HE said no....your thread topics points that out....so obv. he wasnt happy with what the Battery offered. So in the end HE decided to not join the team....wasnt Auggie's choice because according to you Auggie DID offer him the contract.

20. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    You are still missing the point my friend.... Alcantara was assured by both decision makers that the offer would be better than what he was negotiating with the other MLS team and that is why he returned back to Charleston before the CCC cup. Without getting into much detail as I like to respect the privacy of the player and the also the team, 3 weeks into training Battery offered a crappy deal, take it or leave it attitude knowing well that he left the other offer for one better promised and tried to take advantage of the situation. Some may call this capitalism or free market, others call it getting screwed. In all reality this is a closed issue and Alcantara is gone. My input is to shed some light on what players have to go thru to earn a spot, something we don't experience as fans. Yes! I am dissapointed because I wanted to see him in the squad and I know he would have given his best for the team and the fans could have a new Cuban to cheer for. Anyhow good luck to Alcantara and I am sure we will see more of him in the close future...

21. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Im sorry but the "argument" youre trying to make keeps contridicting itself. On one point you are trying to say he got screwed now you are trying to give us insight as to how the process works so to speak and that it is a part of capitalism. I said this was a closed issue (because he wasnt coming back) and you said this is a thread to discuss points of view as fans and now its a closed issue because you said so? I dont need a "new" Cuban to cheer for...i want to cheer for players who give it their all, realize the fans are their for them, and never give up even if they are 4-0 down with 5 min to play. I dont care about nationalities...if they can play then they can play...thats what matters most to me.

You havent given any input to the decision making process as you say you are trying to do. I asked for input onto the treatment of the said player and you said there was "no reason for it". Im sorry but during the CCC i wasnt impressed by him at all. There were other players i thought fit in with the squad and how the battery play better then him. We dont need "big names" on our squad we need players who play together and for some reason him saying no makes me think he was trying to be greedy.

Unless youre willing to post on here that im wrong then i will GLADLY listen but if youre "trying to respect the privacy" of the player then please stop posting on this topic....youre coming off as a reporter trying to make a name for themselves.

And thats just my opinion my friend

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I always been Alcantara and Ozzie fan (both of them played for my club, Pinar del Rio in Cuba) I think both are good players but I also think that has been to much taking about this contract issue. I don't really know how much Ischia know about this thing but if he got datails I encourage him to posted, the privacy stuff is, in my opinion, is just an excuse, he already talk crack about More and Faife, so if you got something more than I will posted later you better share with us, other wise I don't see a point to continue with this post.

24. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    There is no contradiction in what I say, please do not try to manipulate the facts or opinions expressed here in this thread. In my opinion, it sound like that you are only interested in hearing juicy, hot gossips but not facts and I will not even go there...Your comment as to stop posting unless you tell us what you know is rather pathetic. Bottom line is that Alcantara was promised a deal which Anhuaueser did not hold to, end of discussion! If you say he did not impress you, then that is your opinion, but there are others on this thread that beg to differ including myself. If you read my comments earlier, I did specify that Alcantara was willing to give it all and do his best for the team. What part do you not understand? Trust me when I tell you that this player is far from greedy and I promise you in due time I will discuss the details of the offer which I too would refuse......Meanwhile, check the Battery web site and look for the new players signings. I am a fan, a soccer fanatic not a reporter as you suggest. ;)

25. ischia05

ischia05 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Que bola Asere?