Akron Zips 2018: #2ndStar (still)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the hyper-focused and gratuitous analysis of MLS prospect Joao Moutinho continues.
    In Zips Nation it is what we do. Apparently, others do as well.

Stock Down

Joao Moutinho - Could very well still be the No. 1 pick at the Superdraft, but this was not a good day for the Portuguese defender. The question mark around Moutinho, who is a technical player with a high soccer IQ, is his position at the next level. After playing center back at Akron, he has said he believes left back is his true position. Given the chance to play there on Monday, he didn’t look fully comfortable either going forward or defending out wide.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/16/mls-combine-day-2-whose-superdraft-stock-rose-and-fell

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    But I thought his stock was down...

3. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Definitely a talented kid that will do very well as a pro.

A lot of coaches see him as a left back, but I just don't see it. (they obviously know better than I do) I would prefer him somewhere in the middle of the park pulling the strings in possession than out wide where wings will be running at him and be limited in possession. I look forward to watching the kid play!

fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Joao's slight physical build would suggest an outside player. But that is not where he lives psychologically. He wants maximum touches and time on the ball.

I also agree that Joao will be fun to watch because of the unorthodox way that he thinks the game. He often sees opportunities where I, as a fan (and definitely as a player), do not. It has been a privilege watching him up close these past eight plus months.

5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Niko De Vera played all four years at Akron. He now gets the chance to play for New York Red Bulls in MLS as they select him with 31st overall pick.

[​IMG]

7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kinda surprised Gainford didn't get picked.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Not too surprised, because of international slot. Additional TAM/GAM makes established internationals players and international slot restrictions makes international college players less desirable.

Spoke to Nick and his parents after the draft. Glad that Portland didn't sign him to a HG if they really didn't want him - better for him to go to a team that really wanted him.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way MLS is structured, limited international slots must be reserved for key contributors. This draft accents the daylight between Joao Moutinho and Sam Gainford. Sam will be playing somewhere in America, no doubt.

Niko De Vera deserves this opportunity. He has steadily improved every Spring, every Fall, almost imperceptibly. But measuring the improvement from beginning to ending - he has come a very long way in four years. He is a fine young man from a solid family. Niko De Vera is what Akron Zips Soccer is all about!

11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International slots don't prevent players from being drafted though. In all reality, players after round 1 haven't had much of an MLS career (especially in last three years' draft classes).

It's not hard to see that many of the draftees were just drafted with no real shot at making it -- domestic or international.

12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nate Shultz taken in the 3rd round. I predicted him going earlier. NEO boys can ball! ref. Ben Zemanski.

Stu Holthusen was taken a bit later in the 3rd round. I thought he would not get drafted at all, considering he was not invited to the MLS combine. And Stu is a New Zealander.

Shows what I know.

Both have been excellent Zips, playing all four years, maturing, improving. They are long shots in MLS, but I will root for them tirelessly.

http://gozips.com/news/2018/1/21/me...elected-in-third-round-of-mls-superdraft.aspx

Timon19 repped this.
  13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Hinds has thrown in the towel on higher education. Perhaps he will take up college again down the road. I did.

I cannot recall a player doing less with so much more. Hinds possesses 90 percentile raw athletic ability, talent that is woefully underdeveloped. He will be scary if he ever learns how to play Soccer. Or uses his right foot for anything other than running. Perhaps Sounders 2 will unlock his prodigious talent and Nick will blossom into a player worthy of his natural gifts. I truly hope so.

Bitter is the opportunity lost....
    Good Luck, Nick!

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always opined that Saad Abdul-Salaam would be a better pro than he was a Zip.

18. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just A Blog From Akron Asks Jared Embick The Important Questions.

http://uazips.blogspot.com/2018/01/just-blog-from-akron-asks-jared-embick.html

ZN: Are there any guys you tried to recruit that ended up being "the one that got away"?
    JE: The best one is the story of Cyle Larin. He was recommended to us and I went to see him play at the beginning of his junior season and he was awful. Their coaches pleaded with me to take him, saying that he was coming off injury and didn’t play well. I said I don’t see it. Well, he went to UConn and grew 3 inches and put on about 20 pounds and became the number 1 draft pick. Now lit it up at Orlando City and is moving to Turkey. That was probably my biggest mistake in recruiting. One I think the most about as I should have gone back and saw him again before I wrote him off. The next time those coaches called me and recommended a player I didn’t hesitate and I said yes. That player was Richie Laryea. Lesson learned!!

WHHAAAAAT???????!

OverseasView, JoeSoccerFan and Timon19 repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That stings!

Kudos to Embick for being willing to admit his mistakes. A lot of coaches wouldn't be brave or secure enough to be that honest.

Great story.

JoeSoccerFan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+