Akron Zips 2018: #2ndStar (still)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The annual standard has been met; Zips are still in the hunt come Thanksgiving. From here on, it is all (turkey) gravy. I am very thankful they we can talk about Zips Soccer instead of national politics at my mother's banquet table.

Timon19 repped this.
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Congrats on a hard-fought win, and sorry for the... uh... loss of temper at the end from our coach and players. Please go beat Stanford for all of us!

fknbuflobo and SBZipfan repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Not a fan of the horror tackle, but it is the coach's job to sometimes advocate for his players to an extreme.

That was a nervy second half. Wake is a quality side.

fknbuflobo and SBZipfan repped this.
  5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Congrats!

SBZipfan repped this.
  6. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Yeah, Logan's been known to lose his head. Deserved straight red for that, not that it really mattered. Good luck next weekend!

7. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I was just gripping the couch cushions, hoping the Zips could hang on as Wake threw wave after wave of attacks at the Akron net. Then the crushing blow of the goal with exactly 1 minute left … and then the offsides call. Hate to see a game end on a super-close call like that, but I'm sure hoping that the Zips make it to another College Cup in my adopted home town of Santa Barbara!

OverseasView and fknbuflobo repped this.
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have now watched it over and over. It certainly appears that Aristotle Zarris was offside. Unfortunately, NCAA do not have the multiplicity of replay angles an MLS match would have.

SBZipfan repped this.
  9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Congrats on the upset. Nice coaching job to turn the season around after the disastrous trip to the Northwest and the home losses to Syracuse and NC State.

SBZipfan and fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have now watched the entire match again (per usual).

The ejection of Logan Gdula was horrific. That was not even an attempted tackle. I have seen less lethal Kung Fu sweeps. Gdula is a good player. I hope he has the self awareness to be ashamed.

Bobby Muus throwing a fit and berating the Referee? Cursing loudly and making an ass of himself? Was it classy? Meh. So what! Big deal! We have all been there. I have personally done far worse. The Sun Also Rises. Bobby Muus can coach my team any day.

But Logan Gdula recklessly jeopardizing somebody's career in a petulant tantrum. That is some shameful shit there, man.

13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    We're in agreement on the tackle, and I'm incredibly thankful he didn't injure anyone with it.

espola and fknbuflobo repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...mens-division-i-quarterfinal-preview_aid45559

by Travis Clark (This guy has my dream job.)

"Amazingly enough, despite winning three straight national championships, Stanford is set to host its first NCAA Tournament quarterfinal since 2002. This weekend the Cardinal looks to send Akron home from the tournament for the third time in the past four editions; Stanford beat the Zips 2-0 at last year’s College Cup, and in 2015 beat Akron on penalty kicks after a 0-0 draw. The Pac-12 champs’ defensive machine has ramped up, as evidenced by last weekend’s 0-0 draw at St. Mary’s that resulted in yet another penalty kick triumph for Jeremy Gunn’s side. Akron is on the hunt for a third straight win on the road against a seeded opponent, coming through a nail-biter against Wake Forest on Sunday. David Egbo’s ability to stretch the opposition and create problems for Stanford’s well-drilled back line doesn’t yield an inch in the NCAA Tournament. Marcel Zajac’s another forward that must continue his strong play in front of goal. Coincidentally enough, the last goal conceded in the run of play by Stanford in the tourney was to Abdi Mohammed, now a Zip, in the 2015 tournament. At the time, Mohammed was with Ohio State."

SBZipfan repped this.
  16. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Please destroy these anti-fun Mourinho wannabes. For America.

17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho wannabes. :ROFLMAO:

18. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.collegesoccernews.com/i...lite-eight-contests-the-road-to-santa-barbara

Contest – Akron (13-6-2) at #9 seed Stanford (12-3-5)

Where – Stanford, California

When – Friday, October 30, 2018 at 6 pm

Background – Akron comes into this one on a seven-game winning streak. The Zips won the MAC tournament title. This is not the same Akron team that dropped to 6-6-2 back on October 20 when they were upset 2-1 by Northern Illinois. At the time, the Zips struggled to put combinations together on the offensive side of the ball and lacked the intensity on the defensive side of the ball needed to win the 50-50 balls. The loss to NIU seemed to serve as a wakeup call for an Akron team that lacked consistency on both sides of the ball. During the last seven contests Akron has picked up the pace scoring a total of sixteen times while allowing only four goals.

Stanford won the national championship the past three seasons and has advanced to the Elite Eight for the past four years. The Cardinal won the Pac-12 Conference title for the fifth season in a row this year and is unbeaten in its last seventeen contests in the NCAA Tournament (12-0-5). What is almost unbelievable is that Stanford has recorded a shutout in fourteen straight matches in the NCAA Tournament.

The Skinny – Akron advanced to the Elite Eight by defeating Rider 3-1 at home and number sixteen seed Syracuse 3-1 and number seed Wake Forest 1-0 on the road. Akron has matched up well with Stanford in the past and does so again this year. The Cardinal is 1-2-1 all-time against Akron. The two teams have faced each other in the NCAA Tournament three times in the last four years.

Number nine seed Stanford punched their ticket to the quarterfinals with a 2-0 win over UC Irvine at home and by advancing past number eight seed Saint Mary’s in penalty kicks after the contest was scoreless at the end of regulation and overtime. Despite the success that Stanford has obviously enjoyed in the NCAA Tournament, this is the first time that the Cardinal has hosted an Elite Eight contest since 2002. Stanford was expected to have to make their annual trip cross country to tangle with number one seed Wake Forest but that changed when Akron upset the Demon Deacons last week in Winston-Salem.

Redshirt freshman forward Zach Ryan (9g, 3a), senior forward Amir Bashti (7g, 6a) and junior back Tanner Beason (7g, 5a), the Pac-12 Player of the Year, power a very good but not necessarily vintage Stanford attack that has produced a total of thirty-one goals. This team does not have a Jordan Morris or a duo up-top like Foster Langsdorf and Corey Baird. Whether or not that makes any difference remains to be seen. The Stanford defense anchored in goal by Andrew Thomas and backs Beason, Adam Mosharrafa, Ryan Ludwick, and Andrew Aprahamian has allowed a total of only eleven goals while posting twelve shutouts.

David Egbo (12g, 5a) and Marcel Zajac (8g, 7a) provide juice to an Akron attack that has scored forty-one goals but that is a little misleading because ten of those came in a win over Canisius. The Akron defense anchored by Ben Lundt, a three-year starter in goal, has allowed a total of a twenty-one goals which is also a little misleading because a good number of those came in the early going.

Although it may not be reflected in the statistics, the play of redshirt junior midfielder Skye Harter (1g, 6a) for Akron and junior midfielders Jared Gilbey (0g, 1a) and Derek Waldeck (1g, 6a) for Stanford will be a factor in the outcome of the game.

Bottom Line – It goes without saying that Stanford is a formidable opponent in the NCAA Tournament. Akron can’t afford errors on the defensive side of the ball and must take advantage of the limited opportunities to score that will come their way. On the other hand, Stanford has to do the same thing if they want to survive and advance. Neither team wants to have to chase their opponent in this one. A single goal may prove to be the difference maker in this one. Fasten your seatbelts. It may get physical.

SBZipfan repped this.
  19. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I finally watched the archived stream on ESPN3 of the Akron vs Wake game. It really was very entertaining and Akron was lucky to come out of that with a W. I hope that they play better against The Cardinal.

As has been stated many times, the move by Gdula was a total punk move. What a POS he is. On the other hand, it looked like some of the Akron players, prominently Egbo, jumped up in front of the stands and made a bit of a scene in front of the Wake fans. That didn't show a lot of class but really pales in severity compared to what the punk Gdula did. It was really a shame how the game ended.

So as not to focus on the scummy Gdula, I was impressed with Wake's Chol and Fernandez. Both were dangerous in the attack and created good opportunities. I also thought that Lapa did a decent job in the MF and was surprised that he didn't start the 2nd half. Overall he did a good job on the ball but did have a few unfortunate giveaways.

Akron has a nice side that really seems to be gelling. I would not be surprised if they beat Stanford tonight and earned another trip to the College Cup. The future bodes well for the Zips and there is some really good young talent but replacing Lundt is going to be a key for their success next season.

20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acting a fool, while not something to be proud of, is not the same as physical injurious intent. Not equivalent. There are graduations on this scale.

Replacing GK Ben Lundt is a bit of an issue, but not nearly as great as it might seem. I will not name names at this juncture, but there are good backups already on the roster and there are potentially great GK recruits already in the pipeline. There will be tough competition for that spot in the offseason. Trust me, Zips will be just fine at GK.

Funny. Against Wake, Ben Lundt was at his best. I have watched every match Lundt has played for Zips. He really only plays that well in BIG games. He apparently loses some focus during the day to day. Pro scouts will want Ben to consistently play at his maximum potential. But never mind that for now. Ben will need to be at his very best vs. Cardinal if Zips are to prevail.

SBZipfan repped this.
  21. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said as much. Perhaps you didn't read that. Note my bolded text.
    Egbo is a good player but he seems to be a bit of a hothead. I like players that play with passion but he needs to learn to keep that temper in check.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    If it was going to be someone from Wake, it was going to be Gdula.

23. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Egbo is truly an exuberant personality, quick to smile, and just as quick to anger. He is hotheaded and passionate, as you say. Zips fans anticipate the day when David keeps his emotions more in check, for the good of team. He has significant next level soccer talent.

24. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since I can't watch the game because I don't get the PAC-12 Network, I'm watching Diners, drive-ins, and dives and following the FSU vs Stanford women's game on one tab on my phone and the Akron vs Stanford men's game on another tab. In both games, Stanford is down 2-0. I like it.