Ajax: We Want More; Let's Go for Four

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not convinced at this point that FdB is ready for a top flight club or one like Spurs that aspires to top flight but will never get there. Tactically he still needs to figure some things out and his selection of players needs to improve. His managing experience is much briefer than van Basten's when he took control of Ajax and he has won championships in a league where there is precious little quality competition. More telling is that he has not been able to progress in Europe at all and doesn't get the team to respond when they are challenged by the unexpected.

Look at what happened against Red Bull in the EL. The team was thoroughly humiliated in both matches. I certainly thought Red Bull was a force to be reckoned with in the EL yet they went out to Basel in the next round so maybe they were not very good. If that was the case it pegs Ajax way back. FdB needs to do what he said and that's finish out his contract and bring some of the young talent into the team. With respect to Antario2, FdB is not as good a manager as Wenger.

I would be surprised if he does leave and Spurs are the only team I can see him going to as ManU wants a proven manager and I don't think he is up to the challenge at Barca if Tata Martino gets the axe.

My contrarian choice if he does leave is Ron Jans!

2. MesutOzil

MesutOzil New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah, cheers.

He will be expected to finish 4th place minimum, as well as playing attacking, attractive football. One of the major reasons Villas-Boas was sacked was due to the negative style.

Baldini is in charge of player recruitment. After they spent all the Bale money last season, I doubt they will strengthen too much. Will be interesting to see how he get's on.

No chance of Bergkamp joining him? ;)

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Not much chance of that. Bergkamp as a confidant of Cruijff is part of the triumvirate who basically run the football side of things at Ajax. He has no ambition to become a manager, is financially independent and he and his family have settled on the outskirts of Amsterdam.

He might take up a staff function at Arsenal at some point in the future, probably when his kids are grown. His fear of flying limits any commuting between Amsterdam and London.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There might be a manager opening at Bayern this coming year!:D

5. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I am not sure De Boer is the one for the job but hopefully he is not 1 Dimensional Coach like Pep who makes bad transfer and rubbish squad selection decisions effectively destroying a club. Playing Schweni for Martinez as DM when Bastian is over was a horrible decision.

Same as last week playing Rafinha at RB and playing creativity less trio of Kroos-Schweni-Lahm. Look how much a coach can have an effect on the team. Small decisions, obsession with boring sideways possession football has destroyed a team

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think that the Ajax fans must show their best support for Frank in the last game. I think that all the critique on his bad game play got to him. He might feel that he is getting all slack, while doing an amazing job with the material he has. I have posted something about this a page above or so. Overmars with his transfers, the youth academy with what they churn out, even the financial climate in the Netherlands. He might feel that he deserves more appreciation. During the celebration at the end I heard in his speech that he said something along the lines that people should be proud of this title despite what people in the Netherlands say about it. Again, might be a sign that he feels under appreciated.

Antario2 and Orange14 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup, I agree with this. Despite my criticisms of him over the last season which were really few, he did a good job. This was the weakest team of the four championship teams and he managed to figure out things (most of the time) and he even beat Barcelona when they were still Barcelona. I would really like to see him stay at Ajax and develop the players.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who would you like to see as a coach in case he goes to Spurs? Any preferences?

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I already posted above: Ron Jans!!! I think he's highly underrated but of course he didn't come up through the Ajax system and probably Overmars and van der Sar wouldn't like that. I'm not sure that any of the other managers in the Eredivisie other than Bosz are worth considering and even then Vitesse collapsed in the final quarter of the season. I wonder if Seedorf would be candidate if he is shown the door at Milan.

EDIT: Don't know if Rikjaard would be interested or not but he might be an interesting choice.

DRB300 repped this.
  10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ron is a great guy. Very honest. I am not sure he could carry a big club like Ajax. Let's not forget how he failed in Belgium. Bosz running out of steam with a team that Frank would leave behind is less likely. Ajax is especially focused on players that possess endurance over a season. I saw an article that de Boer was very much focused on players that are able to make many sprints above 17,5 km an hour. High intensity sprints. I guess with Vitesse the young players could not carry on during the second half of the season. Take Piazon. First full season in pro football. Best in the league first part, not near his best form second part. He was also resisted by the group at the end. The team thought they could not play his style also with the defenders at the back.

I think Seedorf and even Rijkaard are a big risk.

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BTV802 repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @DRB - nope, I didn't post these but they are excellent reads and cover things well. In the end I think FdB will see out his contract because he really wants to prove something in Europe if possible. I think the RB Salzburg losses really hurt his pride this season.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Spurs Statement

Looks like no contact has been made at this point in time.

14. Ajax lets Vak410 attend the last match of the season, because no one was among the arrested near the ArenA. But who were the "fans" that demolished several metro trains in Amsterdam during the "festivities" and who were the "fans" that demolished several trains on the way back from Almelo?
    The leader of Vak410 is a convicted mass murderer (4 Hells Angels in a sex club), was sentenced to life in prison, but on appeal was given a lesser sentence. Also Vak410 members were convicted of wholesale drug dealing and violence offences.

I would say..get ridd of this bunch with a life long ban.

Orange14 and aveslacker repped this.
  15. Just this morning 1st of May, the Amsterdam newspaper Volkskrant published an (investigative) article in which they claim that for at least the last decade Ajax management and empoyees have been threatened by F-side and Vak410 members. It was confirmed by the police that they know about it, but when no complaint is filed with them they cannot do anything.
    I donot get it. It is in the public interest when criminals utter threats towards people employed by organizations get threats (I guess to force them to do or not to do certain things) that despite the victims ask no actions from the police, the authorities should act on it and erridicate that scum from the stands.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ....and Feyenoord fans intimidate match officials and there is not investigaion there either. Posting this stuff is a complete waste of time here.

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Happens at every club unfortunately. Even amateur clubs. I'm sure all current Feyenoord directors have received a death threat at one point at time.

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd rate Cillessen, Blind and Schone as our 3 most important players this season. Not something to be proud of though.

19. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't like Bosz. He doesn't know when to adjust off his crazy attacking football. He played 3 defenders (I think one of them was Vejinovic) with Heracles against PSV. Twice. He plays one on one at the back against anyone. I think he's clueless. It was entertaining at Heracles but that can't be tolerated at a top club. Not so popular anymore in Arnhem either.

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think Frank de Boer is critiqued. If anything he's often credited as the only reason why this poor Ajax team has been able to become champions. Again. I'd say he's a bit overrated actually. Tactically specifically (playing around your own box against Nac because they play long ball, wut?). Playing 1 on 1 at the back against Salzburg (with Duarte as left back) against a team that plays 4-4-2 high pressure football (like 90% of the teams played during Franks active career in the 90's). Back then they used to adjust to 3-4-3. He seems to have forgotten that. As well as his inability to judge players on their qualities. IMO he's misjudged a lot of players for a long time, talking about Anita, Janssen, De Jong, etc. And he took a bit long to recognize Blind as a midfielder as well.

But as we say in Holland, "in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". I personally would like to see Frank de Boer as a field trainer, and I would like to find a smarter manager to make the decisions.

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only player of this team capable of being top class is Boilesen. And maybe Fischer and Denwsil (but that doubtful).

22. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And THAT is why Vermeer is no longer the #1. Look before you pass the ball!!

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kishna??

24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah him too. Didn't include him because he's only played a couple of minutes. Same goes for Andersen.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wish the winger experiment would stop and Andersen given a major shot in the midfield.