Ajax vs Spurs, CL Semi-finals, 2nd Leg, 3 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, May 8, 2019.

1. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it really that weird? League performance aside you’re talking about a team that spent 85 million over the summer and winter transfer windows and beat Bayern on penalties. Would it still be weird if little Ajax went on to win it? Of course not this is just sour grapes from the usual Spurs haters.

Neither Barca or Ajax will get a shot this year because they both choked. Great young team and they pushed us to the limit but at the end of the day we prevailed through (Moura’s) sheer force of will. To quote Robert Deniro in Copland with regard to Ajax and Barca... “YOU BLEW IT! YOU BLEW IT!”

2. soccerboy37

soccerboy37 Member+

Jan 17, 2009
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Unbelievable result today. I was at a Spurs bar in San Francisco today, have live reactions with some hardcore fans. Will have to upload here later.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Spurs! Will be at the final in Madrid in a couple of weeks. Thought it was Barcelona vs Ajax I'd be seeing, but so be it - Liverpool vs Spurs it is! What a run it has been... incredible to think Spurs only had one point after three games at the beginning of the campaign but Spurs just continue to refuse to lose....

Just out of curiosity, what's the injury situation looking like at the moment.. will Kane be fit for the final?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the big question, isn't it?

5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dele had himself a match too, eh?

at least from the highlights I saw, he was putting in some nice through balls, and got in on 2 of the assists.

Eriksen didn't seem to have near as much influence as I woulda hoped (again, just from the highlights I saw) and if anyone needs this upcoming break, he does

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Congrats on the victory. I hope Vertonghen is healthy for the final match as he was one of my favorites when he played for Ajax. Ajax just didn't have the tactics to cope with Llorente last night and the multiple runners were big.

pookspur, Golara, BalanceUT and 3 others repped this.
  8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheers, I just posted my respects on your forum. The margins couldn't have been finer yesterday.

10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else notice on the scoring bug on the UEFA feed that the +5 changed to a +6 a bit after the goal? I wonder if the +5 wasn't an error of reading the electronic sign?

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Excitement...

Phillyspur, Golara and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And class (saw much of this)...

[​IMG]

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the players walked off at the end Pochettino did something nice, rushing towards the Spurs fans and pointing at the Ajax team, still stumbling about in the centre circle, urging them to applaud and cheer their hosts, to give them at least a taste of that sweetness.

There is certainly a sense of class about Spurs.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The goal went in at about 5:01 and I remember the referee had booked their keeper for time wasting, so he was probably going to add at least 30 seconds to the end of the game. After all the mad celebrating, the game restarted at around 6:56 and the referee, to his credit, did allow about 30-40 seconds more after the restart.

Count Chocula repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It was strange, because in the first leg, Llorente had no impact on the game. I don't think it was tactics, Ajax were just unlucky. Ziyech, who would have won man of the match had Ajax gone through, had 3 good chances at 2-2 to score the killer 3rd goal (one shot wide, one shot off the post and a great save by Lloris).

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Inter actually didn't get scored on in stoppage time, but they were held to a home draw against a PSV team that had nothing to play for.

In our 5th game of the group, we needed a Cristian Eriksen goal ten minutes from time to beat Inter 1-0, when a draw would have had us eliminated.

nfc1432 repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #194 Orange14, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    I kind of disagree. Spurs figured out that Blind was the weak spot on the back line and Llorente more often than not went to that side of the field. Dele had many effective runs yesterday when he did little or nothing in the first match. Son was dangerous all game long and Lucas Mora had a match he will remember for the rest of his life. Ajax got over matched because they didn't move the back four up every time Spurs passed the ball back to reset the offense. This meant that they were close to the goal when the pass came in. the Ajax MF did a poor job of reading this in the final 20 minutes.

Spurs ended up with three real goal scoring threats that could play off of Llorente. Poncherttino got everything right with this approach. Anyway, my heartbreak has mostly healed and it will be interesting to see how many of the Ajax players will leave this summer. Tagliafico and Onana have already said they are staying around. de Jong is already signed with Barcelona. de Ligt just bought an apartment in Amsterdam with his girlfriend (daughter of a former Ajax player) but big money will be offered for him. Neres is likely to go. I hope van de Beek stays as he's also a local Amsterdam boy. There are some really exciting players coming through the academy now and the Dutch U-17 side which thrashed England 5-2 the other day starts five Ajax youth players.

Golara and BalanceUT repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a slight modification, please - Dele. He has asked not to be referred to by his last name as he wants no association with that part of his life (he was adopted).

El_Mittinho_ii repped this.
  21. Nyoman

Nyoman New Member

Manchester City
    England
    May 9, 2019
    that was a good turnaround

Golara repped this.
  22. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xG over both legs had Spurs at 3.6 and Ajax at 2.7

electrickeeper repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fixed!!! Memphis Depay of Lyon and the Dutch NT also only goes by his first name even though match announcers don't follow this.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appreciate it.

And so do some English announcers, about Dele.

BalanceUT repped this.
  25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And good luck to your lot on Sunday!