AJAX vs REAL MADRID I Champions League R16 1st Leg I 13.02.19 I 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I'm so much more excited for the return of the CL this year than I was around this time a year ago, and I think I know the reason why.

This year's team, on paper, isn't as good as last year simply because of the loss of Ronaldo. No need to explain that further, obviously. But the thing was, around this time last year, we had a team that had entered the season as odds-on favorites to win La Liga, and they completely crumbled out of the gate and never gave Barcelona a challenge. And if that wasn't bad enough, they had also already crumbled and lost a home second leg to effin' Leganes to be eliminated from the Copa. Whatever your feelings on the Copa are, that should've never happened and it was an embarassment that it did.

So, I don't want to quite say it this way, but the thing is that it felt like this club at least owed its fans an honest effort in the Champions League, because they sure didn't give us one in the domestic competitions. This was the only competition we had a chance to get anything noteworthy out of by this time last season, and since this isn't an every week competition (until the very end, anyway), it just felt like you were waiting weeks at a time for the games that actually mattered. And, in that time, you (or at least I was) were constantly reminded of how this team had punted away their domestic season.

This year's team isn't quite as good, but as we enter this stage of the season this year, we still have an outside chance at La Liga, unlike last year, and we also still have a chance at the Copa; we're one home win away from the Final. This year's team has that feeling of being a plucky underdog that's picking up traction, whereas last year's team just felt like an unmotivated band of underachievers. Will we end up with any of the three trophies? No guarantees and no promises. Good chance it's a no on all three counts. But as we enter this portion of the season again, I find myself looking forward a lot more to these games than I was a year ago. Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally was just so disillusioned with our team last year that, at many points even deep into the CL campaign, I just wasn't, you know, "feeling it" as they say. Even our wins against Juventus and Bayern had a strong air of coming against the run of play and, in Bayern's case, getting some fortuitous breaks that we have nothing to apologize for but nonetheless allowed for scorelines that didn't quite reflect the actual performances of the two sides (obviously we benefitted from individual mistakes against Liverpool too but we were the better side, unlike [IMO] Bayern). It just wasn't convincing in any way whatsoever.

I dunno. Clearly a reflection written with just a bit of "spoiled by CL successes" feel to it, surely. In any case, I'm excited for this game. Hala Madrid!

Deep Pal, Modric-87, Shay Z and 2 others repped this.
  2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So Varane not fit. :( Hope Ajax doesn't have too many aerial threats. That's one worry with Nacho. Bale and Benz should clear some defensive corners.

Deep Pal and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  3. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    I think they will make a statement and win in glorious fashion.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  4. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Some of ya'll predicting big wins are underestimating Ajax and overrating our recent good performances. I wouldn't be surprised if we came away with a scored draw. I can see us coming away 0-1 winners too.

Any result other than a loss would be good for me. VAMOOOOSSSS!!
    Over 2 legs we should be able to advance without too much stress.

5. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    They dont even play with a real striker and their midfielders are quite short.

6. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I actually think the team at this point is stronger than last year’s team .Apart from losing Ronaldo’s goal this team in the last few weeks has looked better than last year’s team did at any point, I still have nightmares about our send crosses to oblivion strategy of last year.

7. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the match isn't showing in the US? Dafuq?

8. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm a bit worried about Bale starting.

Prit Javier repped this.
  9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huntelaar and ex Madridista curse is worrying.

10. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Same goes for Belgium. We get Spurs vs Dortmund. And I pay for extra matches on the tele and they dont even show it. We get Dutch tele as well but they dont show it either. Ffs

11. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Jup. There is no reason to start him. Does Solari think he is any good because he scored some goals lately?

12. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Do you honnestly think we wont win big? Given our form and our CL history? I think we will crush them.

13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Team shouldn't take them lightly. That's all. This must be the most anticipated knockout game for that Ajax crowd in years.

14. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Agreed, it will be a well fought match, Ajax will have something to prove when you consider how bad they’ve been lately, they might look at this game as the turning point. Luckily I think our players are experienced enough to know that every knock out game is important and not to be taken lightly.

15. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I can help you with online streams if you don't know where to find one already, but I'm completely not surprised by this. Turner Sports is only airing one game on television each day and, guess what? The four English teams are all playing on separate days, and guess what's gonna sell in the United States? English teams.

So I guess the Tottenham/Dortmund game is the TNT game today? Not surprised at all. Was expecting that, to be honest.

natenate101 repped this.
  16. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    @Drouchk

Yup. We have the experience to deal with them.

If King Benzema shows up then...……. watch out Ajax.

17. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    $3 on BR. You gonna do it? I'm leaning towards it rather than taking my chances with streams.

18. kurskolajno

kurskolajno Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Watch out for Bale tonight.

19. nexus11313

nexus11313 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The terrorists win if you spend additional money on this bullshit. Mother -******** Ted Turner and everyone at TNT & B/R. I hope they all get AIDS

20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think Spurs have much of fanbase compared to RM in US outside expat population. Even then, RM has a lot of supporters in Hispanic community. But lesser teams also get the benefit due to PL bias.

21. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do they offer? I'm out of the loop.

Prit Javier repped this.
  22. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Bale for Lucas.

Prit Javier repped this.
  23. Prit Javier

Prit Javier Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    May 9, 2018
    Me too rather he come off the bench in an away game

Deep Pal repped this.
  24. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    $3 for the game and I think $10 for the whole CL and a few other leagues like Scottish and such.

Prit Javier repped this.
  25. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Martin Keown just said he doesn't understand why Bale gets criticized. Lmao.

Then proceeds to throw heavy shade on Sergio. BT did have a wonderful Madrid montage tho. Loved it.