No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Cp will run him in circles.

2. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In my opinion it is not a more defensive team than the last game, just emphasis on different areas. Alvarez being out and Neres coming in means the team is significantly more offensive. However I think he chose Mazraoui over Dest specifically because he felt extra defensive strength was needed on that side after the last game. But Mazraoui is also offensively a strong RB so if anything this team is much more offensive then last time, however with a touch of extra stability on the right side specifically to combat CP and co.

With that being said Mazraoui hasn't been great this season... I really hope he rediscovers his form this game. But I have faith in him, last season he was really really important for us in the CL!

3. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    What? They replaced Alvarez (CB playing DM) with Neres (Winger).

DutchFanatic repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1191766258527744002 is not a valid tweet id

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was referring to Maz for Dest, fwiw.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was referring specifically to Maz for Dest. I think that's a switch that ten H hopes will make the back more defensively solid.

UniversalAdvice and DutchFanatic repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So odd that Dest was starting all of these games in a row and has been on the bench the second he declares for the USMNT.

adi21, Rahbiefowlah and kba4life1 repped this.
  8. I'll keep it for later reference. Sofar Chelsea is being run around by Ajax.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm about 99.9999999999999999999999% sure the is coincidence not cause.

10. You choose not to read what I wrote about Dest's performance in a row against RKC, Chelsea and Feyenoord, which were indicating what was coming given Mazraoui was getting match fit.

11. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys are clutching at conspiracy theories here. Why in the world would Ajax jeopardize their team for something that petty? The staff has already admitted they wanted Dest to choose USA.

It has everything to do with the fact that Mazraoui has been injured and is now finally fit. Mazraoui was so important for us during the CL run last year. Add that to the fact that Dest was the weakest link in the last game and Ten Hag made an obvious tactical choice.

So far Ajax is looking a lot better, both changed have made a positive difference. It’s early games but i’m liking Mazraoui so far this game. His connection with Ziyech is next level which really helps us offensively.

Veltman has been shit though.

ebbro and sXeWesley repped this.
  12. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Not worried, Dest will still get time with fixture congestion.

Also Ten Hag commented on why he chose not to start Dest when asked

"Erik ten Hag vertelde ook nog aan Veronica waarom hij kiest voor Noussair Mazraoui (en niet Sergiño Dest) op rechtsback. "Hij brengt voetballend vermogen en wij hebben lengte nodig. Chelsea heeft een paar grote jongens voorin staan."

Google Translate: "
    Erik ten Hag also told Veronica why he chose Noussair Mazraoui (and not Sergiño Dest) on the right back. "He brings playing ability and we need length. Chelsea has a couple of big boys in the front."

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. To start the season many were hoping he was going to get at least 1500 to 2000 minutes rotating in at RB and LB. Injuries saw him get a lot of PT early and play well. He’s already played 1100 minutes. He’s got a bright future. Now that their healthy he will have to battle to take back that starting spot. Competition will only force him to improve. It’s a good thing. He will continue to play and rotate in. Let’s see if he rises to the challenge and improves. He certainly has to improve his 1v1 defending.

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Chelsea is a bad match-up for Dest. Next CL fixture (Lille) has an attack that is quicker/smaller.

With Ajax missing their CBs that much, I could see them going with Dest as RB and moving Mazraoui into the DM (since Alvarez/Martinez will be needed at CB). We will see: ten Hag will use these 2 Eredivisie matches to test things out.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would absolutely love to have a USMNT player starting for Barca. That would be awesome. Seems quite premature in that he doesn't even have a strangle hold on his position at AJAX yet. Hoping he plays on Sunday...

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Dest's playing at Barcelona would be quite a feather in our cap. Well, not really, but at least a feather in his cap, which is now our cap. Maybe the feather would be in Ajax's cap, or maybe Almere City's cap, come to think of it. Forget I said anything ...

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done and done! :D

TimB4Last and freisland repped this.
  19. Ten Hag is considering to play Mazraoui as a midfielder.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who would have the better odds...Dest or De La Fuente?

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Dest, by far. Neither is going to play for Barcelona, but KLDF is still on a youth team. He's younger than Dest, but the leap Dest has made is not something every player makes.

wsmaugham and DHC1 repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest’s odds would be much greater. KDLF is more likely to be a Ben Lederman than even as good as Dest, according to the odds. Although I do think KDLF is better than BL.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But KLDF is one step closer. I'm hearing he will get promoted to Barca "B". If true, he will be just one level from the main team. Also, Barcelona has a history of promoting from within. When they go out and buy a player is usually for a seasoned player.