No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Has nothing to do with Mazraouai. They play different positions.

Schöne is a deep, deep midfielder. Mazraouai is not. Ajax won't play him there.

van de Beek leaving could help Dest with Mazrouai moving to MF. But at this point it's just him to Mazraouai to play well in the midfield. He was horrendous at POAK but he's still learning how to play there.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If our mods would simply put ñ's in Sergiño's two thread titles, he'd be golden.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's taking deep to a whole new level!

Grumpy in LA, Gacm32, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  4. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    #754 wynaldaisagod, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    In a vacuum, sure. But the Tuesday match was a very long trip for them, extremely hot/humid and wide open for long stretches. They're going to want to give guys who haven't played a run.

Just my 2 cents on Dest in a way too long post that I started at my desk:

As a USMNT, I want him to play a ton for the first team. As an Ajax fan, I do not. I thought it was a bit of overreaction really to him playing in that Supercup and getting friendly minutes. The JCS is basically a friendly too. Ajax has a season that always starts really early and they were missing the normal RB, LB. Ajax plays young guys early in years who don't play again the rest of the season all the time.

The biggest thing for him playing time wise is there are like 1,000 moving parts with Ajax at the moment. Last year at this time, the XI was virtually set. It's part of the reason they were so good. Now? Basically nothing except Ziyech/Tadic/Neres are in the lineup, Taglifico at LB and Onana at GK is set. Missing CL can change things very quickly. Blind moving to DM has an effect as does the level of Edson Alvarez as does if Mazrouai can handle to MF. The wishes of Veltman is probably #1 -- if he wants to leave, Ajax will let him go. The best case for Dest honestly is Ajax missing CL. Then some players will probably leave. Personally, I don't think he is good enough to be an automatic starter at Ajax yet. That's fine-- he's 18!

As far as a player, he's certainly interesting and the best outside back prospect in a few years. He is fast, he can pass, he can attack. He seems to have a good spirit and isn't afraid of the 50/50. His runs are very good and he strikes the ball well. He can make some very nice tackles.

The negatives for me: he's not very strong. If you're going to be short, you better be strong as a defender and he's not. That can change with time. He can't defend at a high level yet. He's committed some dumb, dangerous fouls when I've watched him. He's also had some horrific turnovers. Positioning isn't good and needs to learn a lot more about the balance of the field.

He's just raw and needs lot of time. I'm certainly excited for him-- I have been waiting since basically John O'Brien (the GOAT) for an American to break through for Ajax. One thing we saw at the U-20 WC though: the way he defends high risk, leaving his zone, etc. doesn't really mesh with how the US plays. He stayed with guys instead of leaving them off a lot. He'd have to adjust the way he plays when he's with the NT.

If you are still with me (god bless you)... here is what terrifies me as a US fan. The Dutch have no good fullbacks currently. It's probably their weakest position. They played Daley Blind (zero speed, only plays CB last year for Ajax) and Denzel Dumfries (good not great PSV player) in that Nations League final. They've had some hopefuls who have flopped. More importantly: they lost two Ajax players who would be automatic starters (Ziyech and Mazrouai, a RB) to Morocco. So it's a paradox, you want him to play as a US fan but if he plays well and consistently, the Dutch may call him.

EDIT: One more point-- if you are ever bored out of your mind, watch minutes 70-75 of the JCS to see what Dest is. Hits the post then has 2 extremely dangerous and high risk/no reward turnovers then commits a unnecessary foul 6 inches out of the box. It's the problem I have with all the "Comp" videos people post. Sure those videos made him look like he had a perfect match and I thought he was quite good. But if you don't watch guys actually play, their positioning, their mistakes.. you think all of these guys are stars.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's Ajax. They'll buy a couple more guys in the last 10 minutes of the window.

6. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    On the bench...A bit surprised as this is the 3rd match they're playing in the past 7 days and then they play again in champions league again in 3 days

[​IMG] #ajaemm

[​IMG]

7. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Ajax should win rather easily. I would bet some early subs and Alvarez gets his feet wet (which really effects Dest).

As I said before, minutes could be very hard to come by for Dest. It took a perfect storm for him to start the JCS.

8. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Onana; Mazrouai, Veltman, Martinez, Tagliafico; Blind, Marin; Neres, van de Beek, Ziyech; Tadic

Mazrouai has been very poor in the MF so this is a not messing around at all lineup. Probably the same midweek CL qualifier.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    This is good. Hopefully he will start playing after Federation Cup.

10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Dest about to come on as RB :)

11. Nope. Not a surprise. Ten Hag has had too little time to amalgate his players due to them returning late from Nat team duties. The Twente match was the first they played together in their best formation. To get them ready and make automatisms engrained he needs the players play matches in the run up to the CL qualifiers.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Hes on! 1st teamer, time for the big promotion to YA!

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Another American: Desevio Payne about to come on for Emmen for a player who got hurt.

14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    He looks like he belongs on this team and at this level. If you ask me, he’s the best RB we have without question and there is no reason he shouldn’t get a call up. Bench for Ajax is better than a locked in starter for MLS.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an individual decision. He starts in the Netherlands because he grew up there. People who grew up in America typically start in America.

And ideally to feel fully comfortable with rewarding caps he'd have several competitive appearances w/ Ajax/Eredivisie to gauge that he does belong indeed not that he's just getting a trial.

No reason to not use him at lb instead given the dearth of quality options there and his ability to play the position, as opposed to rb where there is plenty of viable alternatives, some who've already shown well w/ the NT, which should be criteria #1 for opportunities w/ the NT, logically. That is until further evidence. What friendlies are mainly for.

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Yedlin who

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dest had a very fine match coming on for 35 minutes as Mazraoui picked up a knock in the first half. His first good play was a wicked cross but unfortunately Neres was too far inside and the ball went out. He was solid in all phases of the game but FC Emmen are not a very good side. I rate every Ajax match and he was a solid '6' for me on the evening (I'm conservative in handing out marks). ten Hag has full confidence that he can come on and do the job. It's entirely possible that he will be the starting RB next season.

18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    #prayforproblembuttocks

quolo, DeCoverley, TarHeels17 and 7 others repped this.
  22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to see you guys are keeping level heads here...

wixson7 repped this.
  24. :ROFLMAO:
    Once people are going to rely on Google translate for drawing conclusions things gonna get crazy.
    Just for the record.
    Ten Hag was talking about a minor injury on Mazraoui's gluteal muscles after the Twente match. That's also the reason why Dest came onto the pitch. Mazraoui played as long as he could.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  25. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Will be interesting to see if Mazraoui is healthy for Tuesday's champions league match.

Good match by Dest, like how he was able to cut down passing lanes, he read the game very well