No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone should chill. As folks have pointed out, his path to the Netherlands squad isn’t nearly so clear cut.

You guys aren’t even counting the fact there’s a right back a year younger who came from the same Ajax set up and will likely get game time at Liverpool this year. Hoever was one of, if not the, most sought after young defender in the world in that age range.

Beyond that, I’d guess it’s not that easy to bail on a team for which you’ve played two world cups, for what would obviously be a cap tie match.

So I’m good with being chill on this one. Sergino seems like a smart guy. And a smart guy would not tie himself to the Netherlands with a very questionable future.

superdave, ChuckMe92 and SlyEli repped this.
  2. I was pointing at him.

edit: oh, wait. I did that in that other thread.

Winoman and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Next summer.

I keed, I keed. People here have no sense of humor. It's very likely they have Tagliafico back to LB and Veltman continues as their RB, but Sergiño is not unlikely to make the bench. Neres or Promes may cover for their injured playmaker, vdBeek (and now there's a guy who may achieve World Class status sooner rather than later),

To start, it's probably a wait until the first Beker game, which with the format changes won't happen until the end of October.

4. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #704 Midas Mulligan, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  5. I've got the feeling some/many? Americans forget/donot know that Europe is the EPL of the national team competitions and the Orange team in that environment can't afford to take risks with unproven (=players without CL/EL battle scars) defenders.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh for crying out loud, last time you had Luxembourg and Belarus in your qualifying group, teams comparable to Guatemala. Of course they can cap an unproven player there, they have done it before.

7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeahhh...good thing is, I don’t think they are that spiteful about the US. And they have lots of really talented young defenders.

8. Mmmm, did you notice the Nations League group of the Netherlands?
    And given the NL diminished/nullified meaningless friendlies for experimenting with players that are certain Orange players, those Luxembourg matches have to be used to play the reserves and not to let us for god's sake cap that player.

9. Liverpool can almost line up a complete Dutch defense with VvD, Hoever and van den Berg. You only need one Dutchman more to build a Dutch dike:)

10. We did?

11. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is right. Now, I'm all for calling him up for Nations League and keeping in close contact. But I don't think he's likely to switch.

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Klopp has used Gini as a CB, too. The guy is a Swiss, I mean Dutch, army knife. Can play anywhere.

13. :D

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Didn't you guys give Aké 10 minutes against Luxembourg to cap tie him and stop him from going to the Ivory Coast? And that's the most recent one I remember.

15. I can't recall it, but you're obsessed by Dutch defenders:D, so I take your word for it.
    Well, Dest can see it doesnot guarantee a spot in the starting eleven (I donot value Aké anyway, so that capping was from my pov superfluous).
    We had a couple of Ajax defenders that were hyped to the hilt and gotten into the Orange shirt, but soon after that faded into anonimity, like Ricardo van Rijn (https://www.transfermarkt.nl/ricardo-van-rhijn/nationalmannschaft/spieler/124883) or Tete, who now at best is a sub (https://www.transfermarkt.nl/kenny-tete/nationalmannschaft/spieler/206746).

So, if Dest wants to make the best of his National team career it is paramount not to fall into the trap of the cap of either country. Both examples debuted just over 20 years old in the Orange shirt, Ake 22 yo.

16. UniversalAdvice, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Down 1-0. I'm sure they'll sort it out but the backline looks a bit out of sync to start

19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Down 2-1 now. Time for some Dest!

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    oof what a miss from marin. just awful lol

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Double change coming on. Neither of them are Dest. One of them I believe is a RB so shows Dest’s place on the depth chart at that position.

22. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Mazraoui was their starting RB last year but just came on in the midfield, while Veltman (starting RB this game) stayed on. Actually might be a good sign for Dest, if Mazraoui is a midfielder the path to playing time is much clearer.

Deeneaus, KenC and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Good point. Ajax equalize. I highly doubt he gets in today, but if you look at their schedule over the next couple weeks there is some congestion.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He'll get some minutes but anyone expecting him to start league games is deluding himself. Unless he shows something amazing when he's given his shot, Dest is one mostly for next season.