No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. I've no clue what this means.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sorry but Cup ≠ League.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already said “no”. Thread isn’t moving yet.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Me neither. The Eredivisie isn't the Big 5, but it's still a high-quality league with some top teams, and this was a game between two of its Top 3 - for a trophy.

If guys who get cups of coffee for Danish or Austrian bottom-feeders are moved to the senior forum, the same applies here.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. Given my uncertainty about the standard we used, it involved going back over the origins of the YAA forum. We've agreed that the standard is first team minutes in a league match. Many apologies to @BostonRed for being muddled about this in the past.

neems, Winoman and ebbro repped this.
  6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #682 ebbro, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    It's the criteria for moving a player's thread from Academy section to the big boy YA section. The only reason I can see why the thread wouldn't be moved is he hasn't yet played in a first team league game.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you need to write down the standards and post them somewhere. This going back & forth is tiring.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez y’all, get a grip. If Sergiño doesn’t play a league game nobody will care what forum this thread is in, and moving it has no impact on whether he plays Saturday.

Maybe the real reason he hasn’t graduated is because BS can’t book a commencement speaker...

superdave, KenC, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    superdave, Gacm32, justinkicks and 6 others repped this.
  10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is that stepover as good as Frankie Heydude's?

Winoman repped this.
  11. That's only the case when something untrue is said about him. The facts tell the true story. I present the facts and the conclusion from those is clear.

However I dnot believe he said anything like that at all, as up till now no one has posted a link of it.

12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest isn't listed on Ajax's first-team squad numbers but he will be on the CL roster tomorrow and his number is 28. From my limited understanding, he's technically a Jong Ajax player to start off the season but ten Hag can call him up to the first team whenever.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I thought we had moved past this.

If @bungadiri allows me to take the gloves off, I will.

bungadiri repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Teams with good youth academies can have a lot of players on their Champions League roster. UEFA regulations break players up into A & B groups where the "A Team":thumbsup: are the players on the senior squad. This A roster is limited to 25. Teams can have an unlimited number of players on the "B Team" if they are 21 years old or less and have been eligible to play for the club for the previous two years. Last season Ajax had eight or so 'B' players registered for the CL including de Ligt.

Classification as a Jong player is only for the purposes of eligibility to play for Jong Ajax who are in the 2nd division of Dutch football (the won the league a couple of years ago). Ajax are very agressive in pushing players through the youth system and while I believe the age limit for Jong Ajax is U-23, it's not uncommon for U-19 or even U-17 players to play at that level.

As I said earlier, Dest is likely to be a significant player this year for Ajax.

15. I post in both the YA and Mexicans abroad threads info from Dutch media, regardless if it's postive or negative.
    In both fora posters sometimes submit opinions or assertations that need to be confronted. In both fora I get from certain very sensitive posters acid reactions as these ones only want to read the haleluja stuff.
    For those I've got a very simple solution, put me on ignore.
    Just remember all the shit I got for my critical postings about the EPB hyping.
    And who in the end was right?

16. Indeed, it's a Dutch trait for especially the top 6 of the Eredivisie by necesity, but ever more spreading into all academies in the Netherlands. Because of the foreign lure, mostly from the epl, for ever younger players with Eredivisie experience, Dutch clubs are forced into high pressure developing of the youth compared to a decade ago. One aspect you can see the change clearly is in the physical department. A decade ago youth players really still were boys, but now they're physically far more powerfull as this is needed to get them ready for first team play.

WheezingUSASupport and russ repped this.
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love your contributions here, but it's time to put this issue to bed, please. It reminds me a little bit of the ruckus that occurred around another YA, whose name I won't mention because it's kind of a bat signal for conniption, who was raised in the US until 14-ish but went to play for Italy. Every time his national team decisions were discussed we'd get a long, unpleasant threadjack.

Anyway, thanks as always for the long, thoughtful and informative posts, but [to everybody] please let's drop this here. Thanks. And thanks to @TimB4Last for tagging me before wading in.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't mean this as an affront to @bungadiri (so I'm tagging him - which I hate to do to mods - in case he wants to bin it off the jump) and I hope it's not too OT but don't know where else to post. I don't mean to re-ignite any OT sidebars.

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We need to start cap tying some prospects

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    earnie should call sergino and tell him in dutch hes getting called up. really throw him off

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when is his next opportunity to play for Ajax?

22. upload_2019-8-2_22-28-14.png
    Tomorrow, Saturday at 18:30 cest.

23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I’m speculating but I’d be far more disappointed if we lose Dest compared to Araujo.

If Dest debuts with Ajax in the next 4 games then the Netherlands could call him up for their Euro qualifying against Germany in the beg. of Sept and if he plays he’s cap tied. If only the Netherlands played Northern Island for their 2nd game then the NE coach may not risk calling in Dest.

With the US he could play versus Mexico in the window, but we can only cap him against Cuba.

Let’s hope he’s committed to the US but maybe using this as leverage to play with the full NT. Wonder if Berhalter actually pays attention to this stuff though.

If he is torn between us and the Dutch then let’s hope his Ajax debut comes a bit later, or he just gets a bit of sub minutes here and there.

24. I don't get your concern he would be called in for an Orange match. It's unlikely he will get a call for the next two years. Not even if he plays for Ajax the whole season.
    There are guys who have played whole seasons already at that spot in the Eredivisie at the same age Dest was U19 player at Ajax and not gotten a call up, like Kik Pierie, while Kik has a weapon Dest misses, a laser guided long range pass. Nathan Ake, who plays in the orange team at the back position, despite playing in the epl and a wanted player by Pep Guardiola, isnot the lock in player for that position. He's a sub.
    In the back line of the Orange team one thing is essential and that is experience, given the fact the Orange team in Europe faces top attacks. To get in that line you have to had face to face battles with those attackers in club matches. He simply is way back in the line. One season Ajax first team matches as a first team player wouldnot be enough to warrant a call up next season.
    I have the feeling it's not fully understood what it takes to get into that Orange shirt.

butters59 repped this.