No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes... Dest gets the start.... I wait all day w/o word of the game to watch on ESPN+ and ouch. It is his job to get back on corners and that is two in the last month he let past him. In the end, it was a poor tackle because he missed the ball... but it was very close. Probably an inch away from hitting the ball away. Got to do that out of the box if you are going to make the challenge. Bummer. Yeah... lucky he was not sent off. Aside from CP there hasn't been a ton of good USMNT play in the last several weeks. Shout out to Weston and Brooks but not much else.

2. Nunnely talked about him and Dest at Ajax and he was taunted in a friendly way by Dest that Dest was faster than him. He had to settle the score;)
    Edit: the word I should use is "teased"

freisland repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is not that he is not fast enough. I think he is. His problem is because he is a little guy, he gets boxed out even if he catches the runner.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You knew after I wrote that Ajax was going to bellyflop!

Lol.

And I'm going to continue to hold the opinion that Dest is naive defensively.

Awesome going forward. Needs to take some tactical nous courses on defending.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If I remember that play correctly, Dest doesn't check where the offside line is which gave the forward the position he needed. Dest isn't fast enough to give forwards in Eredvisie a lead in the race.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A ---------->
    ........D------>

Due to something called inertia, the attacker (A) that comes into your side already running has a clear advantage over you (D), when you have to turn and try to mark him, since he's already in movement in the desired direction and you have to change directions.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Get that peer-reviewed. Seems publishable.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion - unless your defender knows how to deliver a tactical foul.

PalmettoSpur, Scotty and jnielsen repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But A can't run if it means he would be offside. (unless we get into the lateral type running guys like Morris and Sargent are good at but that was not at issue in the case under discussion).

p.s. - Dest will learn all this stuff. He is a teenager.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Maybe over the winter break Dest could take a remedial class in Physics.

russ and ebbro repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #2485 TimB4Last, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Serious question (I'm allowed one/month): What would Dest's education have looked like growing up in the Dutch system? Regular school until a certain age? Then a half-day at school, a half-day on the field? A club-provided tutor at any point? On-line classes? Allowed to (drop out and) focus entirely on soccer at what age?

Put differently, assuming that just a year ago Dest was a very promising young player, among a large number of such players, who might never fully succeed (in getting paid), and assuming his parents wanted him to get a good education (to fall back on), what options did he/they have? What was his/their optimal soccer v education strategy?

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I thought he was already a full-fledged master of fluid dynamics. It's why I love him and don't much care about his defense.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Unlike in the USA education over here is not an unattainable mirage for people without money, hence there's no such thing as playing a sport for a college/university grant.
    In fact clubs over here push for kids in the academies to go to school, and results influence at young age the possibility to play. The thought behind it is that with the discipline to go to school the discipline to achieve on the pitch is ernhanced. Our top club academies have arrangements with colleges/high schools for lessons schedules in line with training sessions kids have.
    In the Netherlands there is no or/or. Over here it's an and/and depending on the intelligence of the kid.
    https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...een~b8689868/?referer=https://www.google.com/
    To mention one: Kik Pierie was in his exam year of our high school, when he played in the first team, and of course he did attend high school during his academy years.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #2488 freisland, Dec 8, 2019
    I'm not sure I get this question, but for someone in the Ajax system, whether or not they are in the Dutch system, the "academics" would be similar. Dest's academy experience would be the same as, say, Pierie's would have been if Kik had been an Ajax player at the same time.

As of the last time I was around someone with 1st hand knowledge of the Ajax Jong team (which, to be fair was a long time ago) the academy players were living in the Amsterdam area - usually with their own families or a "foster family" if they were too far out - going to a 1/2 day of "regular" local school, then going to train at Ajax academy with access to a group of full-time Ajax tutors. It may have changed recently but afaik there is no Bradenton/Clarefontaine situation for Dutch national-teamers. They train with their club academies.

I'm less certain about the quality of the education, but it is probably not terrible. They likely don't attend the more competitive "pre-university" tracks/schools but certainly could if they were "book smart"/driven enough (there are 4 "tracks" in most Dutch "high school" education. Some schools only serve on of those tracks, some have more than one.) I think some Academy students have sometimes attended one of the international HS in Amsterdam. It's really mostly about the kid - if they are really bright and driven they can get the same education they would get as a "normal" Dutch kid, but like a US dedicated HS athlete, it is not always easy to balance the two at the top track.

I'm sure @feyenoordsoccerfan can give more details and say if it is the same these days.

(Edit) The new "future" school system at Ajax seems maybe a bit different then it was when I was more aware of the system. This CNN article has some good details.

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/15/football/ajax-amsterdam-football-school/index.html

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Dest's just too weak to muscle guys. He's been bullied a bunch of times this year. Nunnelly did show him the ball right before the foul, he has to pounce on it that moment. Gotta use his quickness for that moment.

15. Ajax – Willem II 0-2
    Ajax: Onana 6; Dest 4,5, Veltman 6, Blind 6 (80. Mazraoui -), Tagliafico 5,5; Van de Beek 5,5, Ziyech 5, Martínez 5; Tadic 5, Huntelaar 5 (80. Traoré -), Lang 5 (57. De Jong 6)
    Willem II: Wellenreuther 7,5; Nieuwkoop 7, Holmén 7, Peters 6,5, Heerkes 6,5; Saddiki 6,5, Ndayishimiye 8, Llonch 7,5; Nunnely 7 (60. Dankerlui 7), Pavlidis 6,5 (90. Gladon -), Köhlert 6,5 (87. Vrousai -)
    Scheidsrechter: Kuipers 6

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    SamsArmySam, ChrisSSBB and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    An educated populace is reticent about fighting wars overseas, so that wouldn't work for us.

Dest was ineffective but scoring him the worst player on the field seems, to me, an exaggeration.

18. He probably got a 0.5 discount for causing the penalty with a bad tackle. He should've gambled on Onana reputation and continued the chase as maybe Nunnely would have hesitated to think how to get the ball past the goalie with sublime reflexes. Odds that Onana saved it would be in my opinion about 60%, hesitation by Nunnely could have been enough to catch up, giving to the forward pressure from behind and pressure in front. Now he gave a 95% scoring opportunity.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Shhhhhh. You'll set off a panic on BS where it is thought players who go to college are unambitious.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is their not going to school for training on soccer. Their just going for education. Their still being taught soccer by top class professionals.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #2496 TimB4Last, Dec 8, 2019
    Likely in the brief moment he was giving chase, Dest was thinking, 'Not again!'

Last time he gave chase and gambled on Onana's reputation, v Heracles, the result was a goal. One can almost hear the good-natured teasing Dest must have been subjected to afterwards, because (1) he was asleep at the switch; (2) he couldn't catch up; and (3) he didn't do anything at the end of his run, except watch the goal scorer score. {Good natured because Ajax was way ahead and won easily, 4-1.}

On Friday, the thought process as he ran along must have been, (1) 'Seriously guys, this one isn't my fault;' (2) 'I can't believe I'm not catching this guy, either;' and (3) 'I'm sure as heck not about to do nothing a second time, here goes, hope my foot touches the ball ...' {One of the things I like about Dest is that he thinks fast.}

What he should have been able to do is separate the two plays in his own mind. Just because Onana didn't save the day the time before v Heracles doesn't mean Onana wouldn't have come up big v Willem II. Two different games, two different situations.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lol. There are 0 top-prospect Dutch players going to college in the Netherlands in order to play soccer. There are a very few really driven/ambitious players who fit in college around professional soccer.

The average academy U18 player in the Netherlands is in a more professional soccer environment than many US D1 players.

This phrasing of the situation is dishonest and silly.

23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  24. Onana could be out of the crucial Valencia match with a hamstring.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A rough translation ...

Ten Hag hopes that Quincy Promes can play on Tuesday. "I'm still hopeful about that," he said. "Our medical staff and Quincy work very hard. We want to get him ready to play."

Promes is Ajax's club top scorer, with ten league goals and four goals in the Champions League. Ten Hag can use him well against Valencia, also because David Neres and Zakaria Labyad have been eliminated for the time being.

https://www.vtbl.nl/nieuws/artikel/4947461/ten-hag-ajax-dik-verdiend-verloren