Ajax ... the Jekyll and Hyde Team [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How about this title for the new thread? Seems appropriate given the way the season has gone.

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Ajax ... the Jekyll and Hyde Team

Yup, thats appropiate allright :eek:

3. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Old thread can be found here.

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame they lost the way they did. It was awesome to see them play beautifully, though. Let's hope they can pick themselves off and finish strong in the league.

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Oh man, what a game.

Next time gadget, next time!

6. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Who can blame this team for being inconsistent? It's a seasonally rotating cast. If we can resist selling our best players this summer we have the potential to have a very solid unit next season. In addition we have some very promising young players pushing for starting spots. The future is very bright if we can afford to hold on to these guys.

7. Re: Ajax ... the Jekyll and Hyde Team

Hey Amsteldam, in for a financial master stroke:)

8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Let's be real this is not a vintage Ajax side by any means. Sadly this has been the case for awhile now.

Yesterday's match showed once again that the defending was shoddy, and when you make moves in the transfer market for players like Oleguer its simply not good enough.

What a stupid challenge by Schilder that led to the crucial freekick. No one takes charge in the back, and the real sad thing is Marseille is nothing special themselves.

Not too sure about Vermeer as well. Very athletic, but a little dodgy to say the least.

Its so very sad.

9. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

A financial master stroke??? :confused:

OK, I'll bite. Whats that??? :)
    (I think I'll regret asking though :eek: )

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I disagree. This team has the quality to win a UEFA Cup.

The sad part is that is hasn't showed this season. And that's stating it mildly.

Our defense has improved a lot. Oleguer has improved a lot. He's a reasonably solid defender IMO, which is not bad considering he started out looking even worse than John Veldman (google him).

Also, we've had a lot of injury troubles this season.

If we can keep this team together (but we all know that Ajax never even tries) I'm pretty sure we'll be playing for the title next season. Simply because we have the best players.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I posted this on the Ajaxtalk website yesterday but it's worth cross posting here:

Vermeer - 23
    Silva - 28
    Alderweireld - 20
    Oleguer - 29
    Schilder - 22
    Enoh - 22 (23 next week)
    Aissati - 20
    Anita - 19
    Emanuelson - 22
    Suarez - 22
    Sulejmani - 20

We are far younger than the last two teams we faced (and probably all the teams we played in the pool round). With youth comes inexperience, particularly on the defensive side of things. Maybe we don't keep Suarez after this season (we do lose Schilder, who didn't have that bad a match as well as Silva). When you add the suspended and injured players into the mix, the team is even younger!!! There is quality to all these players and it bodes well for the future.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you look at some of the other players who are coming up through the youth ranks this is not a bleak picture. is there the same quality as on our last CL winning team of the late 1990s? Probably not as that was really an exceptional group of players. That being said we have some very talented players.

We don't know what the transfer market will be like in light of the current economic down turn. English teams will probably make out OK because of the new television contract but other leagues will not have so much money. It may be that we can keep players longer than in the past. If so, this team will progress quite well.

12. Re: Ajax ... the Jekyll and Hyde Team

If you think that Royal Dutch Shell will not collaps the coming 6 months, you can sell put options and make money that way. You already know how to open accounts in the Netherlands, so you can do it too with www.Alex. nl

Look at the option prices at Euronext for Royal Dutch on this site. It is in English.
    http://www.euronext.com/trader/adva...o=RD&exerciceType=USA&selectedMepDerivative=2

Select in the drop down menu december 2009 as an example.

Code:
    Strike	-Bid	-Bid	-Ask	-Ask	%+/-	-Last	-Vol	--Time--	Open	High	-Low	---Day	-----Total
    	Size			Size				-(CET)--				volume	---premium
    14----	1943	1.35	1.45	1614	0.00	1.40	5	13:20:00	1.45	1.45	1.40	120	17100.00
    15----	1685	1.75	1.80	301	0.00	1.80	10	13:55:00	1.75	1.80	1.75	2577	453760.00
    16----	200	2.20	2.25	1533	-2.22	2.20	2	14:07:00	2.25	2.25	2.20	10	2235.00
    17----	201	2.70	2.75	1674	-1.85	2.65	5	12:39:00	2.80	2.80	2.65	132	35740.00

They want to pay you for taking the risk that an oil company will drop in share value from at the moment 16.6 €€ a share to less than 14 €€ 1.40€€ for six months.
    So if the share does stay above 14€€ at the 3d friday in december 2009, you willnot have to buy the RDSA shares for 14 €€ a piece. A put option contract is 100 shares big, so if you have 14000 €€ to back up yor risk taking you can sell 10 contracts that makes you cash 1400€€ minus costs about 30€€.

The lowest RDSA was in 12 months was 15.27 the 3d of march 2009. So you make in 6 months about 9.5%. But with a (tiny) risk, unless you expect that electric cars are going to be swamping the markets in the summer

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My dad lost $180,000 on Nortel, its now a penny stock.
    A good thing he's loaded or he'd be in financial ruin right now

I lost $40,000 on SunLife insurance stock, but I'm ok too since I'll just hold on to the stock for another 15 years.

I'm done playing the markets, I probably get better odds playing blackjack in Vegas ;)
    (btw did you guys see hotel room prices in Las Vegas?? Under $50 gets you a beautiful room. Perks of a recession)

14. Okay, let's see in 6 months if you are going to punch yourself in the face:p
    By the way, the odds, supposing the events RDS down lower than 13€€, RDS up and RDS even are the same, you have a 66% chance to be on the winning side, because you only loose when the stocks go down lower than 13€€.
    But given the fact that oil isnot getting spilling over the wells, your chances of winning is more likely being 90%. So if you put in 100 contracts, you make 14000€€ in 6 months

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Trouble is that RDS is linked directly to oil prices. Who would have thought last summer that the price of oil was going to be an all time record and then drop by 70% (can't remember the exact amount). There is so much political volatility in the oil producing world that any bet on the direction of the base price per barrel is like flipping a coin. While you can cover your options and reduce the risk somewhat, I only point to the world of credit default swaps as a lesson here. AIG thought that this was just a way to print more money for the company with no downside risk. We know where that one ended up. the only way to invest with as little downside as possible is to buy companies with strong ballance sheets and cash flow that covers any debt they may on the books. I know everyone hates Microsoft but look how much cash flow the company generates and what they have sitting around. That's only one example

16. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Implied vol is still rampant.. Kon Olie can easily move 3+ euro either way in 2009 on no fundamental news. In this market it's much better to buy deep out-of-the-money calls.. or better even.. just buy the stocks outright (especially the financials).. and sit and pray :D.

17. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  18. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ajax up 1-0 at the half. Have looked pretty good for the last twenty minutes or so. Could be more goals in this one.

19. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nice header on the goal from Vermaelen.

Luis Suarez: I'm Not Leaving Ajax This Summer

So considering what we've heard from Sneijder, Babel and Huntelaar in the past, this is really secret code for "If a big club pays big money I'm gone"...Right?

20. The Ajaxenator

The Ajaxenator New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First thing that went through my mind when I saw this Friday was, "He's gone...it's the kiss of death to release statements like that."

It'll be interesting to see what he can do for Barca next year. :rolleyes:

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's a single person in NL who would be surprised if Suarez left. Except Ajax management, of course. :eek:

I interpret that statement to mean that he's enjoying playing for this particular Ajax side. And he should -- they're playing quite well at the moment.

22. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This is what I like to see. Goals from both fullbacks & some nice play from Aissati & Enoh. If only Twente would drop points. sigh...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKQsJvriLQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKQsJvriLQ[/ame]

23. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commentator said that Aissati was "by some distance" the best player on the pitch but in my mind Enoh was motm.

24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  25. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We have a lot of young talent on the first team. Very exciting.

Blind - 19
    Anita - 19
    De Jong - 20
    Aissati - 20
    Sulejmani - 20
    Bodul - 20
    Alderweireld - 20
    Sarpong - 20
    Van der Wiel - 21
    Vertonghen - 21
    Enoh - 22
    Emanuelson - 22