Ajax 2015-16: What Will Frank Do?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    The funniest part of the game was De Boer shouting at Klaassen at the end

Why would you shout in front of a mirror ?

Epitome990 and Orange14 repped this.
  2. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for channeling your inner feyenoord, lets hope for another excited championsleague PSV run next season:thumbsup:

3. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Saw the game absolute horror show but anyone that watches Ajax already knew what was to come. I personally think its a blessing is disguise the title is lost but the board needs to look within and changes need to be made across all settimgs

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wish I had your optimism but the Board is made up of FOFdB (Friends of Frank de Boer).

5. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Same thing happened here in Portugal with Benfica years ago 2004 to 2007 they were aweful then came Rui Costa and he became director and the test is history.

I think with a new coach at the helm things will be different

6. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Even if the team scored in the 95th minute I would still have been in a sour mood. PSV deserved the title more than Ajax, that much was clear on this last match day. PSV came out hungry, prepared, organized and took it to Zwolle. Ajax came out and didn't care at all until it was too late.

7. I doubt if this selection is capable of any proper execution of a tactic. You should take any idiotic money thrown to you out of the ludicrous EPL tv money for these players and start a rebuild. Wish we had the money to do that.

8. I predicted the epic downfall of my cluppie after the winterbreak and now sort of did it with this post for Ajax. I'm feeling a kind of Cassandra throwing around doom and misery.

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bye Frank, it's a shame it had to end this way. Should have left 2 seasons ago.

Antario2 and aveslacker repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you put the three Ajax midfielders who started today in the lineup of any of the CL semifinalists, chances are pretty good that they would lose 80% of their matches. I'm not sure any of these players have "real" value but if someone wanted to pay for them, take the money. I would be happy with van de Beek, Bazoer, and Nouri in the midfield next season. At least they along with Sinkgraven can play football.

11. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Still don't know what to say, I'll just havea few more drinks I guess.

Anyhow, congrats to PSV.

Persona repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FdB's record:

Four Eredivisie Championships
    2 Beker Cup finals that were lost (FC Twente in extra time & a thrashing by PEC Zwolle)
    1 Johan Cruyff Cup and three defeats
    4 3rd place finishes in CL Pool Play
    1 Failure to make it past the CL first qualifying round
    2 Round of 16 in the Europa League (all the other results except for the win over ManU at Old Trafford that almost so them through were losses in the round of 32 or a failure to make it out of group play).

Do these results inspire confidence? Is this satisfactory for the Ajax Board of Directors?

The answer to the first is no. Unfortunately the answer to the second is probably yes given the present Board. Even Martin Jol whose teams played exciting football and scored bunches of goals had the courage to step down.

13. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The board will enjoy the status quo. Revenues aren't falling, they actually increased in 2015 and at the end of the day that's all they care about now. European embarrassments don't mean a thing and falling further behind PSV doesn't either. Once the bottom line begins taking a hit, then they'll take action.

In the meantime, we need to suffer through more seasons of an unprepared team, a shocking midfield and ridiculous substitutions.

14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frank should have moved on when his stock was high. Now he'll never move on since no interesting teams are going to offer him a job and his best buds aren't going to ask him to leave

Antario2 and Orange14 repped this.
  15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, European glory is a thing of the past for a team with Ajax's budget.

Having said that, if you can't beat a relegation team on the last day of the season with the title on the line, you deserve to be fired. Period.

I'm glad Frank stepped up when we were a shambles and hadn't won in years, but it's beyond time for him to go.

Antario2 repped this.
  16. I refuse to accept that. It is a matter of within your means constructing the best possible team (see Leicester, it is about the same comparison to Ajax in the CL), luck of having no injuries and savy tactics.
    PSV a few years ago missed the final against AC Milan with a balanced squad. The only thing that went wrong was the fact that shithead Fabregas out of frustration kicked Kone out of the season and thus removed a vital part of Guus well constructed team. The stars were in our favour until that kick, as with every new James Bond we won the Super trophy of Europe. Liverpool wouldnot have a chance against that PSV.
    So, no..it is possible..difficult, but possible.

17. That memorable day a few years ago, King Louis lost the title in Rotterdamagainst relegated Excelsior, only to win it the next season....so...;)

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is beyond FdB's comprehension!

19. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    It's possible but the odds are forever becoming slimmer. A team like Ajax would need to sacrifice a lot in order to make a run in the Champion's League, and it would start first with getting favourable group in the Group Stage like PSV had this season.

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #895 Laurent75, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Fabregas/Kone was in 2007, PSV missing the final against Milan was in 2005...

PSV had a pretty solid team in that period anyway, Ajax too. The situation is a way worse for both now since 2010.

PSV had a lot of luck this season, seriously everybody watching their group games could see that even a weak team of Manchester was superior to them. PSV was lucky to get 4 points against them. PSV was also quite lucky against CSKA. The only good game PSV had this CL campaign was the game home against Wolfsburg.
    If they have a group with Barca/PSG or Real/Dortmund/City like Ajax had, they would never go through.

Actually I would have liked to see the PSV defence of this season with players like Mertens, Wijnaldum or even Lens upfront. Players they had few years ago.
    But during that time they had bad defenders : Marcelo, Derijck, Jorgensen, Manolev...

Zoet
    Arias Bruma Moreno Willems
    Guardado
    Propper Wijnaldum
    Lens Luuk Mertens

I'm sure they would have played much better football with this. Could cause much more problems to Atletico upfront than with Narsingh and Locadia...

For Ajax I don't have a lot of hopes. The best they could do now is developping V de Beek, Nouri and the other youngsters for the national team. And maybe in two or three years if they have developped youngsters + some older players like PSV had with Guardado and Moreno this year, they ll be able to have a nice run in CL, but now I don't expect anything...

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax deffeated Barca 2-1 in the Arena three years ago in CL pool play so anything is possible. They also beat ManU in EL 2-1 at Old Trafford and had ManU hanging on for dear life as a third goal would have sent them on.

the only one of the current Ajax midfielders even worth rating at all right now is Gudelj and maybe Bazoer if he gets out of his funk. I think based on the outburst in the tunnel after the match that Bazoer will leave this summer if FdB stays. When a team has one match to win you put your best lineup on the pitch and there is no way Serero plays in that game. Klaassen is Siem de Jong v.2 but slightly faster. I see that one of the Dutch papers named him the Golden Boot winner FWIW. I'm not convinced of Bazoer's handling speed or field awareness though he is still a young player.

Frenki de Jong, Nouri and van de Beek are the future of this team and the faster they come into first team football the better. IMO they would have done a better job on Sunday than the clowns that were on the field.

Persona repped this.
  22. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Rubin Kazan defeated Barca, BATE Borisov defeated Bayern...Anecdotal victories. Ajax would never eliminate Barcelona in a knock out game or finish higher in the group stage.

23. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Next season will be better. The young players like Nouri, Van Beek, Cerny will all have more experience. I think the lack of a 2nd striker really hurt Ajax. Overall the squad looks very good just think. Hopefully a new manager comes in and restores the winning culture at Ajax despite being in the Ereidivisie the potential that Ajax has is huge.

Also what are the chances that Jason Kluivert get chances next season

24. It doesnot matter in the sense that you already lost if a team has better players than you have in a tournement like competition. You can outsmart the better one. And the CSKA match in Russia PSV wasnot worse than CSKA, they started the match with an incredible laclustre attitude and when the woke up almost caught them, in Russia.
    That superior ManU wouldnot have stood a chance against Atletico.
    What matters now is that the youngsters have gained priceless experience what it takes to compete against the best and take that with them the coming CL season.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think he will see any senior team action. He didn't even play at the A1 level this past season.