Ajax 2015-16: What Will Frank Do?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RomaRomaRoma

RomaRomaRoma Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I know Fischer's been poor recently but encouraging first 20 mins from him.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very easy win as there was no pressure on anyone allowing open passing throughout the match. Veltman was quite poor making three bad mistakes, two of which resulted in goals (though Cillessen was complicit in the second one). Good to see the wingers have good play in this match. I don't think Milik deserved the penalty as he went down way after the shirt pull and maybe his miss of the PK was justice.

Player Ratings:

Cillessen (5.5) - a couple of really nice saves and a horrible decision to try to keep the ball in play off of Veltman's bad pass back
    Dijks (7) - played more like a left winger than a fullback and didn't have much defending to do
    Viergever (6) - some poor long passes but generally OK
    Veltman (4.5) - horrible
    Tete (6) - had very little to do as Heerenveen didn't have much on the ball on his side
    Gudelj (6) - some stupid fouls conceded late but better than average
    Klassen (7) - really nice passing and his goal was well taken
    van de Beek (7) - solid match and was all over the field
    Fischer (8) - excellent on the ball all game
    Milik (7) - held the ball up and had some really nice passes to set others up
    Younes (8) - beat his man every single time
    Bazoer (6) - good to see him get some game action
    van Rhijn (6) - will be in the starting lineup on Thursday against Molde
    el Ghazi (5) - only had a touch or two

Last European match of the season on Thursday against Molde unless something amazing happens.

3. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Very impressed with Younes and he looked very lively

Klaasen is a very underrated player I really enjoy watching him play still seems to misplace simple passes but he is improving in this regard

With some better service someone like Milik would be insane to stop

4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hope Ajax wins Molde and I hope that something is done at the Dutch FA and Ajax Board

Is this game a home game?

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, it is a home game and Ajax should have won away in Norway as they dominated the game but just couldn't figure out a way to score.

Ajax Board issues are settled and nothing will change until the next meeting if then.

6. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That was a very good game from the players who are usually the least productive, Fischer, Klaassen, Gudelj.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Yes, but I still am puzzled by Heerenveen's tactics. Foppe is a pretty astute guy but why the heck didn't he pressure Ajax in their half? Maybe there were only two back passes to Cillessen all match long. Ajax had so much space it wasn't funny.

8. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    VI reports that the entire department methodology resigned in support of Jonk. It was modeled after the same departments at Spanish teams like Barcelona,Valencia and Bilbao. The department is responsible for the development, monitoring an guarding the playing style and training methods of the youth teams. In addition they introduced street soccer and futsal projects for future recruitment in Amsterdam.

Worrying...

9. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #559 BTV802, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    What's good guys? How's the squad doing? Top of the table I see...Holy sh** Twente is looking like maybe going to relegate? I've been out of the game too long.

10. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How would you Ajax fans rate how players are accessed?

Marvin Zeegelaar and Suk Hyun Jun both former Ajax Academy players that failed to make the grade seem to be flourishing this season?

11. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Pretty good on average, the two standout cases in recent years of players who were underestimated were Ozbiliz and Anita in my opinion.

Zeegelaar and Suk weren't good enough. They seem to be doing well at their current teams but the question remains if they can perform at a top team in their league.

12. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm pretty positive now that Zeegelaar is going to Sporting 4 TOTW Accolades was enough to convince them

I heard a rumor that Porto is also interested in Suk my question is will Ajax get an € out of the deals

Also what are thoughts on Klaasen he is a player that interests me

Cheers

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Suk was pretty awful when he played for Ajax.

14. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think it's 0.5% of the transfer fee for each year before the age of 23. Suk was under contract for little over a year.

Klaassen is an intelligent midfield player with good positional awareness and a functional technique. He is not a playmaker but someone who is good off the ball, can cover distance and can score goals.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very hard worker but has a poor touch and slow passing speed. He's a better version of Siem de Jong who barley gets off the bench for Newcastle. I can't see him playing for a top 10 Euro club, he's not good enough.

16. In my opinion they are in support of a passer by instead of the club itself. They leave to make a point towards some people in the club, but in fact are hurting the club itself and not their intended targets, the technical staff.
    From the club's point of view very stupid move.
    When you work for a club like Feyenoord or Ajax, it isnot just a job, it is part of your passion, otherwise you donot belong there. So when you quit in support of Jonk, however right he is about things, the victim is the club and not the technical heart.

TFC Ajax and Orange14 repped this.
  17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Twente might even get their license revoked. And have to worry about huge fines, points deduction and a transfer ban. All this is a result of financial mismangement and fraud. They are 80 million in debt at the moment. Looks like the city Twente is going to bail them out from direct bankruptcy though.

Those guys didn't work at Ajax because they are fans of the club but because they believe in a certain vision and project. The project got killed. Cruijff is no longer affiliated. Jonk got backstabbed and fired.

18. From what I read about it and saw on tv Jonk disagreed about how what he was doing with the youth was connected to the first team. He delivered according to Johan's views, so that part of the project was save as long as he was there. As far as I can judge it his performance as the head of the youth development wasnot questioned within the club by anyone. He disagreed with what the some/all of others within the technical heart team were doing. One of them in fact was his boss, van der Sar or Overmars. So to get it your way you have to find a strategy to accomplish what you feel is the right way. That strategy for sure isnot the one he chose to do, creating an unworkable situation by refusing to work with the one in charge and someone close to him should have told him so and maybe that happened but was Jonk to stubborn to listen to good advice. Jonk didnot want to leave, so he was happy with what he was doing with the youth and I guess he felt he was doing it the Cruijff way. This isnot about with whom the sympathy goes, but about what in the situation was the best thing for the club's interest to do. And Jonk for sure didnot chose the right one. It is one thing to be right, but another thing to get it. Smart people know that and choose to invest time and effort to get it. Smart people know that shutting the door with you outside the board room for sure means you are getting nowhere. For sure if the parts of contention are under command of the other people in the board room.
    To paraphrase your words parts of the project were on life support, but not dead yet, the Jonk part was alive and kicking. That part got killed now, well it was more like a suicide.

19. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wrote this last night but forgot to post it
    Exactly, these guys aren't thinking properly. What do they expect resigning to accomplish? All that does is open the door for TPTB to bring in more people in line with their thinking. If you want to accomplish things, you have play the hand that you're dealt. You can't just throw a tantrum because you don't like the way the club is being run and expect them to pay any attention to you. The club suffers because the people who follow Cruijff's vision think that quitting and leaving only LvG supporters to run the club is the best way to implement that vision.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think this whole thing with Jonk is pretty complicated and I have to agree with Feyenoordsoccerfan that a lot of this is self inflicted by Jonk. If he would have kept his head down and worked at what he was doing well things would have eventually worked out for him when FdB leaves the club. Chances were pretty good that he would have been named manager. Unfortunately he started burning that bridge over a year ago. We'll see what happens but I am not pessimistic at all. Talent is there in the youth academy (just saw a blog posting that ManU want Famailio-Castillo who turns 16 next month and can be offered a contract from Ajax).

21. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The question is if they resigned voluntarily. Most of them have kids and mortgages and the job market in the Netherlands is harsh at the moment. It's quite possible they were offered a take it or leave it severance offer now their patrons have left the club. It's no coincidence that the section methodology and the performance coaches for individual development have all resigned. Both were newly created departments after Jonk and Jongkind took over.

22. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They left on their own accord.

Jonk was an idiot for not attending the meetings. Must have thought he was Cruijff himself to think he could get away with that. But at least he was doing something constructive. Which cannot be said of Overmars, Bergkamp and Van der Sar.

Cruijff too made the mistake of not being on top of things. It's a shame how things worked out.

Orange14 repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nouri trained with the first team today!!!:thumbsup:

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    An ignominious end to our European dreams tonight. Ajax end up with one victory a bunch of draws and several losses. At least every player was able to put their shirts on the right way. There was a decent 15 minutes of football at the beginning of the game where the fullbacks were overlapping and there was some decent passing. That was about it. Two shots that hit the crossbar, several soft ones right at the keeper, a nice headed in goal and countless (yes, I lost count!) shots that missed to frame by meters, not centimeters but meters for goodness sake. Lots of soft cross field passes that even my 68 year old legs could have caught up to. THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL, this is a wing and a prayer. WTF was FdB checking his cell phone for? Was someone calling to offer him a job? Did he suspect that Celtic were about to beat Fenerbahce? He should have realized that it didn't matter because this team was never going to score the 2nd goal to win this match.

Props to Molde for realizing a 4-5-1 stifling defense was going to leave Ajax clueless.

Player Ratings:

FDB (1) - didn't get his team ready to play in a big match for the 25th time

Cillessen (7) - three good saves and I think he had the goal saved if it didn't get deflected in MOTM by default
    Dijks (5.5) - best of all the back line players, did get forward well and seemed to want to cross the ball to someone; to bad nobody made runs in
    Riedewald (4) - more completed passes to Molde players than Ajax
    Veltman (4.5) - marginally better than Riedewald
    van Rhijn (5) - good chip to van de Beek which deserves a point but otherwise mediocre
    Gudelj (3.5) - two really stupid Yellow cards and a deserved sending off for a player who watched a lot of the game in front of him and did little to impact it
    Klaassen (4.5) - another mediocre performance; if someone in Italy wants to pay €10M, sell him quickly as van de Beek is a better player
    van de Beek (5.5) - courageous with the headed goal and seems to have the best field sense of any of the starters this evening
    Fischer (3.5) - gets a point for being active and beating his man but the rest of his game was awful
    Milik (3) - he's either very good or awful, no question which one turned up tonight Mr. Hyde
    Younes (4.5) - beat his man twice and the was easily dealt with until being subbed off
    Bazoer (5.5) - decent enough coming on, hope he go 90 minutes soon
    el Ghazi (4) - nice shot of the cross bar but every other move he tried failed
    Schöne (5.5) - a couple of nice possession as he came on for the final 10 or so minutes

I'm afraid not much will improve with this club until Nouri is ready for the first team. This team is to plodding slow (anyone see molasses flow in the winter time?). A quick passing team would destroy a club like Molde as they can only do one thing well and they can easily deal with slow passing clubs such as Ajax.

Call me disgusted with this European campaign!

Dutch Treat, Antario2 and Oranje Leeuwen repped this.
  25. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That was pathetic. The substitutions made no sense, why take off your best midfielder on the day and leave on Klaassen and Gudelj who have very little to offer. Why take off your most dangerous offensive threat in Younes and leave Milik who did almost nothing all game. The ball movement and tempo is so slow it's painful, passes forward are non existent unless it is a long ball over the top that gets intercepted 7/10 times. Awful. Frank's gotta go.