Santa Tecla at the 2018 CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by slaminsams, May 26, 2017.

1. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The format changed some this year. There are qualifying stages and three participants.

First phase is were Alianza and Aguila begin and likely end their participation. They can't be drawn against each other.

There are two pots for phase 1 with Alianza in pot 1.

Aguila is in pot two.

Santa Tecla enters in phase 2

2. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Alianza got drawn with Platense (Honduras)

Aguila with Real Esteli (Nicaragua)

Still think both don't make it past this round. Nicaragua will show the ineptitude of our "big" clubs

Blue_nation724 and Willsant87 repped this.
  3. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Dont see Alianza maming any noise against Platense, but hoping the 'names' Aguila has push then through past Real Estelí

4. mczh

mczh Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Platense is too inconsistent I think. Alianza should get through. It's the next round that they'll be bounced out since they'll go up against the winner Olimpia/Alajuelense series.
    Aguila I have mixed feelings. Casanova is uninspiring as manager and Fagundez + Henry Romero have left but they have picked up David Rugamas, Chino Flores and Inter Sanchez (though he only performs well on bad teams). They'll still be a work in progress but I think they'll squeak by.

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Aguila play the home match today against Real Esteli.

Alianza play the away match against Platense today as well.

Haven't really seen either focus on this as much as was needed

6. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
  7. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Águila 1-0 Real Esteli

Platense 1-2Alianza

I like Alianza chances to advance. I underestimated both teams

Willsant87 repped this.
  8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Watched the Aguila game, and the goals for Alianza (Fito with the goal and assist!). I couldn't help but wonder were Aguila not able to host the game at Estadio Juan Barraza instead? It's always an eyesore to see barely a quarter of Estadio Cuscatlan filled up.

9. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Yup didn't meet concacaf standards. Which is sad because the standards aren't that strict. Clubs with much smaller budgets could meet them

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Surprisingly both advanced but Aguila having to do so on penalties.

Aug 8 results
    Real Esteli (Nicaragua) 1-0 Aguila pk (3-4)
    Alianza 2-1 Platense (Honduras)

Aguila will now face the winner of Arabe Unido (Panama) or Central (T&T)

Alianza will now face the winner of Alajuelense (Costa Rica) or Olimipia (Honduras)

Willsant87 repped this.
  11. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I watched most of that game and Aguila was god awful Real Estelí easily could have taken that series. It does suck for Alianza they played good in both games (yeah they let up a bit) and the will probably end up facing Olimpia baring any comeback from Alajuelense.

slaminsams repped this.
  12. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Didnt get to see the game, but read reports. Aguila apparently got lucky and Real Esteli had a goal taken away. Its troubling because I personally feel they have the easier draw (not saying Arabe or Central are easy, but just not the bigger teams.) Hopefully they start to play better soon.
    Lets see if the big guns of ES perform well against Olimpia.

13. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Next rounds games

Aguila vs. Arabe Unido on August 16 and 23
    Alianza vs. Olimpia on August 17 and 24

I again doubt either makes it past this round but maybe mczh will come by and tell us what the future results will be once more

Willsant87 and Blue_nation724 repped this.
  14. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    That Alianza Olimpia game will be a good one. Again, lets see what the big guns of ES have in them. Larin got team of the week for his performce in the second game.

Willsant87 repped this.
  15. mczh

mczh Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    My hopes for Aguila aren't high. Seems too late for Pichi to have a real effect of the team's play style and Arabe Unido are pretty good. I'll be surprised if they advance. With Alianza, I'm more optimistic. Olimpia will probably underestimate them and get surprised in the Cusca but they could turn it around in Honduras. I'm hopeful they'll pull the upset though.

16. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
  17. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Both are out and even though they did much better than I expected the way they went out is upsetting. I think this new format is better for our clubs than all the previous ones and I hope now with competition more at their level they prioritize this. It provides growth opportunities as well as opportunities for players to be scouted

Blue_nation724 and Willsant87 repped this.
  18. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I was hoping Águila could score the second goal, but it was very upsetting seeing Alianza go down that way. Ugh, last minutes against you are the worst.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Santa Tecla have been drawn against the Seattle Sounders

20. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Trucha you have to change the title of the thread to include the 2018 Santa Tecla Champions league. They surprised me last night. Pulling a 2-1 victory over the sounders in las delicias.

This shows the importance of playing in your own stadium and preparing. Santa Tecla played a friendly against Dallas last week. They also had some luck because there where times in the game they left wide open spaces for the Sounders who did nothing with them. It’s going to be tough for them to get the result they need in Seattle but at least they made a game off it.

21. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Santa Tecla used Tamacas, Dominguez, Quintanilla, Barahona, Cornejo, and Wilma Torres. These guys are all 23 years and under. 6 players who played a good game and can be used for the future. Too bad Kevin Reyes didn’t play. Should be fun in Seattle

22. Jjr manzano

Jjr manzano Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    When is the next game fellas?

23. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010