Agudelo Accepts Contract!!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Blue Note, Nov 17, 2009.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Re: Agudelo Offered Contract?

I have mentioned this before on other earlier threads. That the Red bullls would have been too stupid too not offer him a contract. Have seen him play many times.

Has Altidore size( a bit more broader at this age). Is fast and has creative skill.

2. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Even that I don't liked the Parke affair, I think was justified for the drug dilemma during the campaign of 2008 with him....The stupid move was, discharge him with out getting his substitute before....

3. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I applaud this decision to sign Agudelo.

ergo, Agoos had nothing to do with this.

5. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I have not seen him play, I heard that he is the one people feel has the most upside potential.

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Now, what kind of offer MLS or Red Bulls is giving to this Kid, 20, 30, 50 or 80 K, I'm sure the Europe teams Real Madrid or United are offering him more than 200K....Because Kessel, Baba and others wasn't for not having a offer that they don't sign with the Red Bulls, was because the offer was ridiculous that they look for something else....

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would imagine it's a GA contract, metz.

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

How fat it is....

9. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We won't know until he signs. GAs I think have been anywhere from 65k a year to 150k. Either way he's "off the books" and doesn't count towards the cap.

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One possible scenario keeps popping into my head and having me smile.

We've already signed Chirgadze to a dev contract. If we sign Agudelo to a Gen Addidas contract, then draft Dukka, we'd still have a GA spot to give to someone on the academy team.

Could it be that we might have 4 academy players on our roster next year?

11. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sweet eh? They could go Kassel, Cardona, Kinne or St. Cyr while still holding college draft picks. Here's to hoping that MLS continues to loosen up on some of the Academy rules as well as bringing back some form of reserves system and league.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

thats the key, there's gotta be some sort of reserve matches setup to get them games constantly while training with the first team (and sometimes making first team appearances).

13. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

I want to reserve my thought about this for later....

14. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From Big Apple Soccer:

ON THE TABLE: Red Bulls: Agudelo offered a contract

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

brian lewis had this yesterday, with the statement that he was deciding between us and Millonarios. Its got to be a nice GA deal I would bet.

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

good to hear, Soler and company securing this kid would be another nice step in showing we actually have a front office who knows what they are doing.

19. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague

I would be really surprised if he signs there unless we've lowballed him with a $20K offer or the like. If he signs with us:

• He gets to live at home as a 17 year old instead of moving to Colombia (you don't think this would matter to his parents?)
    • He gets to train on a daily basis with Angel (and possibly Henry), learning how to be a pro forward from 1(2) of the best there are and far better than anything Millonarios has to offer.
    • He signs a standard 4 year contract, which means at worst he is available on a free when he is 21. Of course, if he becomes a star this franchise has shown the willingness to sell players overseas.

Now if he were being offered a youth contract with Arsenal or the like, that would be a different matter entirely. But Millonarios? I have a feeling that this is a negotiating tactic to get RBNY to increase their offer.

20. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt Agoos is making this decision. His role has changed to more of the league rule expert. The youth coach and Williams probably had some say, plus I would not doubt that Soler and Backe both have seen a fair amount of film on him to have their input. Agudelo is not a big kid, but good technically from what I have heard. Soler himself is going to meet with him to get him to sign instead of with Millionarios. I think Agudelo is just being smart and making the Red Bulls know that he has real options. Again, as has already been said who cares if Agoos did have anything to do with this decision if it is a good decision.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

:eek:. He is close to 6'0-6'1 and has a bigger frame than Altidore had at this age.

22. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

This would be a big step up for the club. A real talent who is home bred. There's room on the roster for a GA player, if they want to give him a good deal. More to the point, if in a month, the new MLS player deal is signed and clubs are even free-er to sign their own players, not signing Agudelo will be a big mistake. And if the new rules are more restrictive, at least he's already there and grandfathered in. The only reason not to sign him is if he's not good enough.

He just better not go all Oliver Oceann and leverage a Euro deal on the basis of training camp.

24. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you for the correction. Yes that is bigger than Altidore. For some reason I thought he was smaller.

25. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

hopefully during training he's impressed with Backe and the talent level, feels were a first-class organization and signs. Its been posted several times but this is something Soler should push MLS on, getting the kid a nice GA deal to sign.