News: Age limit on players switching nations is removed

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EstebanLugo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Re: List of players that may now switch their NT

Then Korea DPR striker Jong Tae-se can never play for Korea Republic though he is actually a legal citizen of Korea Republic. He has already played for Korea DPR about 10-20 "A" Matches.

2. soccer_fan123

soccer_fan123 New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    will make things interesting

3. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are correct, Jong Tae-Se can not represent ROK, as yes, he has appeared in 15 "A" Internationals (AFC Qualifiers and World Cup qualifiers). He is cap-tied to North Korea.

That said, Jonathan de Guzmán is eligible for Canada. He has NOT appeared in any A internationals for the Netherlands. The Olympics and Olympic qualifiers do not count as A internationals. (Which is why Alvarez, as previously mentioned, is now eligible for El Salvador)

However, the question becomes a game of returns. In short, even though under the new FIFA rules De Guzman is eligible for Canada again, the question remains if De Guzman will play for Canada. Canada is a terrible federation with little organization, who have already been eliminated from World Cup qualification. A young player like De Guzman, who isn't getting looks for the Netherlands now, can get looks for the Dutch in the future. After all, the Dutch usually go to the World Cup, the Canadian federation needs a lot of work.

This goes back to Jermaine Jones. Jermaine held out hope to play for Germany for years. In fact, he publicly condemned playing for the USA when the US wanted to cap him years ago. But now, Jermaine is approaching 30 and it is very unlikely Germany will cap him, so he can now make the switch and play for the USA and get a fighting chance to play in a World Cup, as it is quite likely the USA will qualify for the World Cup.

I think the situation will be the same for DeGuzman. The only way DeGuzman will switch to Canada would be if say, 8 years from now DeGuzman still has not broken into the senior Dutch side and Canada look likely to qualify. Just because DeGuzman is eligible for Canada does not mean he will play for Canada.

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, he's 27. And he is stupid, so he thinks Germans don't like him, because he doesn't look like a "real" German.

“When somebody looks at me, I’m not the perfect German. When I look at people in the States, they look more like me. In Germany with my tattoos people say, ‘Ooh, he’s not a good man.’ But look at Beckham, he has tattoos and no one says that. Maybe because I don’t have blue eyes and blond hair. But that is not a problem for me. I don’t have a good feeling about stuff in Germany.
    “It is funny because in Germany they do not like different guys like me. I have so much people who don’t like it. When I say something I think is right they say: ‘You can’t say that. Why you say that? You can think it, but don’t say it.’ ”

It is not because of his appearance, I don't like him because he is stupid scum. But he thinks of himself as some misunderstood rebel. :rolleyes:
    And his comparison with Beckham is just absurd...

5. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

I think De Guzman will not get capped by the Netherlands any time soon. If I were him I'd look at the Canadian squad and recognize that it has enough talent to compete in qualifying and the gold cup. If I'm him and the Netherlands doesn't cap me in the next 3-4 years, i'm playing for Canada....

But then again, that also depends on the solving of the problems you pointed to, regarding infrastructure and the federation

6. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London

he claims he never said that though, that the NYT put words into his mouth. he claims the NYT reporter asked him 3 times whether one has to have blue eyes and blond hair to play for Germany, and he declined it 3 times, stressing that his appearance has nothing to do with the fact that he doesn't get caps. the paper still printed it.
    I've obviously got no idea who said what, but that's his side of the story. and let's face it, a paper putting words into peoples mouths to get a "better" story wouldn't be the first time in history...

7. P.Maldini

P.Maldini New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This sort of thing only benefits lightweight countries like the USA, Croatia, Sweden and France who without these players would struggle. Look at France they have pretty much go poaching every year in Africa for the best players.

England as well is guilty of this.

8. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A former world champ doesn't count as "lightweight" in my book.

Btw, how's the argie at your Senior NT? or The likely Brazilian? Or how about the couple of africans on the youth squads? OMG, and the American who scored two goals today, how could I forget???

9. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Ahmad and Anas Sharbini who have represented Croatia at youth level but who have never played for Croatia at senior level will now be eligible to play for Palestine. It is unlikely that the younger one (Anas, who was an alternate player on the Euro 2008 squad) will take this opportunity, but the older brother just might.

10. monstersoccerfreak

monstersoccerfreak New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Virginia Beach, va
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    all this could be avoided if the poor good footballing countries just let in a bunch of crooked footed foreigners to train there for years.

11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  12. lpporto

lpporto Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's why I think Brazil should cap players like Amauri and other to friendly games so they can't appear playing for another NT next year. We should do friendlies like this once a year. No more Mehmet Aurelio!

13. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies don't count, they have to be competitive games. They could still be put in if they are winning a competitive game by a large margin against a weak team.

14. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

try not to put your ignorance on full display buddy.

the VAAAST majority of French football players on the NT are French born.

Just because many have African or Arab names doesn't mean they weren't born-raised-and developed footbalistically in France.

Even the few on the current squad that weren't born in France moved to that country as children...Evra arrived in France as a 6 year old. Vieira got to France as an 8 year old. Boumson at 14.

15. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This rule is logical. Look, so far, we've been talking about players whom their original team doesn't want and if they have a genuine link with another country, don't they have a right to go for it? Who is any of us to deprive a player of international football because of our "principles"? The poster who said that "this is gonna make things interesting" is spot on. This rule is a slap in the face and a wake-up call for NT managers who better make sure where their real talent is, because one man's trash could be another man's treasure. And rightfully so.

16. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    I wonder if we can compile a list of who may be eligible to switch, noteworthy cases or otherwise, with this new rule change? I'll get us started:

• Mourad Meghni (France to Algeria) - Is willing to switch
    • Mamadou Samassa (France to Mali) - Has applied to switch
    • Charles N'Zogbia (France to Congo DR) - ?
    • Younes Kaboul (France to Morocco) - ?
    • Dennis Aogo (Germany to Nigeria) - ?
    • Jermaine Jones (Germany to USA) - Has applied to switch
    • Ashkan Dejagah (Germany to Iran) - AFAIK, has not indicated a wish to change, so far.
    • Kevin-Prince Boateng (Germany to Ghana) - ?
    • Jonathan de Guzmán (Netherlands to Canada) - ?
    • Youssouf Hersi (Netherlands to Ethiopia) - Keen to switch
    • Otman Bakkal (Netherlands to Morocco) - ?
    • Nordin Amrabat (Netherlands to Morocco) - ?
    • Riga Mustapha (Netherlands to Ghana) - ?
    • Jimmy Lloyd Samuel (England to Trinidad and Tobago) - ?
    • Rory Fallon (England to New Zealand) - Has applied to switch in the past
    • Michael Chopra (England to India) - AFAIK, has not indicated a wish to change, so far.
    • Burton O’Brien (Scotland to South Africa) - Keen to switch
    Can people add more?

17. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That list reeinforces my point. I don't think any Dutch, French, English or German fan is going to cry any tears for any of those. But at the same time, they'll make things interesting for their new NTs.

If anything this is more like a payback for all that poaching that Europeans have done from African nations. Way to go.

18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Denis Aogo has apparently chosen to play for Germany over Nigeria. Does anybody know if he is anywhere good enough to play for Germany one day or how far down on the peckinig order he is. Is he on the NT radar at all ?

19. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And while you're on the subject of Germany I'll throw in another question: Have Germans come to terms and embrace completely the idea of black players in their national team?? Because so far it seems like Asamoah et al have been included there more as a PR gesture than anything else since they are rarely seen on the pitch.

20. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Germany play to win games with the best available lineup.
    They dont ask some fat bearded liberal if they have to include a faction of ethnic minorities in each lineup. Asamoah is a crap player and not being punished for being black (like you probably have convinced yourself).

1 person likes this.
  22. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    :rolleyes: .... so sensitive. Proof that the issue is not as cut and dry as you try to make it seem.

23. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This guy isn't good enough to get into Ghana's midfield. There are simply too many better players ahead of him. I hope he doesn't get called up simply because "he's German". He should join the back of the queue and maybe get looked at AFTER the World Cup.

Even then, he makes it clear that he doesn't even want to represent Ghana, but is just frustrated at not getting a chance with Germany. The guy's a joker, he thinks he can just walk into the side when in actual fact there are about 8 or 9 players ahead of him in central midfield.

24. mrdelriego

mrdelriego New Member

Jul 16, 2007
  25. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Bilos was fully capped by Argentina once.