Africa's World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Africa' started by zahzah, May 31, 2018.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Senegal at the World Cup: 3 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss (in ET)
    Egypt at the World Cup: 4 losses, 2 draws

2. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senegal has the coolest coach.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    He was just as cool as Senegal's captain back in 2002.

BTW Former players with large European exposure to tactics and some tactical training as a coach is the way to go.

Hopefully Finidi, Okocha or Amokachi can take over after Rohr. Win or loss Africa needs to refocus their attention to their local coaching staff.

4. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Thank god Senegal won! Now in pole position to take the group. I'm completely confident they will see the set round. Likely they will be the only African team unless Nigeria reverses course. Then again, can we count France ;)
    Egypts cup is over and tbh it seems like Salah shouldn't even have been playing. His shoulder wasn't ready.

zahzah repped this.
  5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    To counter some stupid rumours making rounds about the World Cup's youngest GK Uzoho being an age cheat:

6. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people seem to be calling Senegal's win against Poland an upset, but Senegal actually have the more expensive team. It literally seems like Poland were only considered the favourites because they are European.

zahzah repped this.
  7. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    It's ridiculous to say Senegal/Poland was an upset LOL. Senegal probably entered the game as a legitimate betting favorite

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Poland had the better odds.

9. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    As Morocco's WC draws to a close, I'd say today's match is slmewsom of a revelation. They were essentially dominant against a top European side, but had the same inability to finish we've seen previously.
    Not sure what other options Morocco has in attack (either at home or playing in other nations systems) but any half reasonable striker would make this team deadly.

zahzah and JasonMa repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think also that to some extent simply they were a bit unlucky. They do know how to score and have goalscoring midfielders. It just didn't work out.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    JasonMa repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Intertops odds made these probabilities:

Poland win: 38.5%
    Draw: 31.5%
    Senegal win: 30.0%

So none of the outcomes were shocking.

zahzah repped this.
  13. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Dear god thank you Ahmed Mussa... Tough match up to that point. What a first touch and what a finish!

14. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 3 crap halfs, Nigeria were excellent in the second against Iceland.

zahzah repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Now Argentina - Nigeria will be massive. Argentina need to break their duck!

BTW If Nigeria make it through its shaping up to be this bracket:
    France vs Nigeria
    Brazil vs Germany

OMFG.

I think Nigeria will take France. Revenge for 2014, when Nigeria were the better team.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    North Africa and the World Cup... should have seen the writing on the wall:

North Africa
    5 games
    0 wins
    5 losses
    3 goals

West Africa
    3 games
    2 wins
    1 loss
    4 goals

17. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tunisia with another useless World Cup appearance.

zahzah repped this.
  18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I was hoping I would be wrong about them...

19. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    True, but also a tad harsh. Tunisia shouldn't me at the WC (IMHO) and Egypt and Morocco had extenuating circumstances. I'd suggest that Nigeria in current form isn't that much better than Morocco, especially given Morocco's preformance vs Portugal.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nigeria is better than Morocco due to one thing: they have proven goalscorers.

21. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    I blame CAF having by far the worst system for qualification! This WC proves that CAF needs a new qualification process, something similar to AFC and their qualifiers. Final round with 12 teams, two groups of 6 each and 10 matches that decides who qualifies. No flukes, only the best teams over those 10 matches will represent Africa.

zahzah repped this.
  22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Don't understand why Aliou Cisse insists on starting Khadim Ndiaye in goal. He's 33, plays in Guinea, looks decent enough, but you have a starting GK in Serie A on the bench, as well as a Ligue 1 goalie...

For one thing Ndiaye seems to command the area very poorly and two of the goals at least would have been prevented, if Ndiaye had proper communication with his defenders.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    North Africa
    7 games
    0 wins
    7 losses
    6 goals

West Africa
    4 games
    2 wins
    1 draw
    1 loss
    6 goals

CAF should either petition for North Africa and Middle East to make their own Arab Confederation or put all those North African teams in one group to battle it out for one World Cup slot. I dreaded

In 2014 only Cameroon dishonored the continent, this time around all the Arab teams have 0 wins, 0 draws, 7 losses (and yes, I accept Morocco actually played good footie). Unacceptable. Save for Algeria 2014 and Morocco 1998 North Africa has been a massive dissapointment for the last 30 years taking the continent down with them.

Even Togo and Angola in 2006 put up a better fight than Egypt or Tunisia 2018.

24. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    Tunisia had no business in this WC, Egypt seems to have trouble in their camp with NO cohesion whatsoever during their matches and Morocco has been unlucky.

Too harsh on North Africa based on one WC. Besides that, CAF isn´t only the 5 teams during the WC. The domestic club competitions is dominated by the North African teams and national teams do well in CAN and CHAN. Tunisia would never qualify for the WC in any other qualification group and the same might have been the fate of Egypt based on their matches in the qualifiers in which they never impressed. I hope this gets CAF to change the qualifiers based on my previous post. Thats is the key solution IMO, and we might have only seen Morocco of the North African teams in this WC if it was used for this WC.

25. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Zahzah the big gap in your logic is Algeria. In recent memory Algeria 2014 was one of the best African sides in the WC and remains perhaps the most talented.
    Morocco is certainly a competitive team as well and can play with anyone.
    Egypt and tunisia were pathetic TBH, feel sorry for Salah stuck with the other talent on Egypt. Probably can't wait to get back to Liverpool. Losing to Saudi is downright embarrassing.