African Youth Cup - Congo 2007

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Felipe Martin, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Today :

Cote d`Ivoire - Gambia 0-1
    Congo - Burkina Faso 1-0

Congo and Gambia ready for semifinal and World Cup !

2. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Wackiness in Group B:

At halftime, Cameroon leads Nigeria 2-0 (on channel 677 if you have comcast in the DC area), and Zambia leads Egypt 2-0. If these hold Zambia would top the group and Nigeria would fnish second on goal difference over Egypt.

3. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Full time:

Cameroon 2-0 Nigeria
    Zambia 3-0 Egypt

Zambia and Nigeria qualify for the U-20 World Cup

Semi matchups:
    Gambia vs. Nigeria
    Zambia vs. Congo

4. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Don't know how many people here got to see Zambia-Egypt. It was awesome. Zambia simply demolished them. The score could have been much worse: Zambia were coasting in the second half and still hit the crossbar twice. Beautiful beautiful football. The star of the team is Clifford Mulenga, who has already seen some action with the senior side.

5. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  6. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great goal by Sakri. Does anyone know how he and Jeffrey Ntuka are fairing in Belgium?

7. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    From the reports on Brann's hp, Tijan Jaiteh has impressed for Gambia. Good stuff!

I haven't gotten to see him play for Brann's a-team yet, so I'm very interested to hear if any of you here has seen him in action?

8. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Jaiteh does look pretty good. He's very tall, but has surprising touch and skill for his height. He's still very skinny and needs to bulk up, though. He operated as an attacking midfielder just behind the two strikers in Gambia's diamond midfield. He was good today against Nigeria but not as good as earlier in the tournament, although he did better late when it was 10 on 10 and there was lots of space. Unfortunately his forward Mansally couldn't finish anything and Gambia went out.

9. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  10. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Congo wins the final 1-0 on a second-half goal by Ibara...appropriately grainy video clips to follow...

11. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Ibara was the best player of a tournament that was mediocre at best, and usually much worse than that. He's not a completel player yet because he tends to have terrible final passes and crosses, but he was constantly a threat on Congo's left flank and he gave himself enough chances to score a couple key goals.

As for the rest of it - mostly disappointing. Nigeria were awful, despite making the final. Defensive issues, no imagination going forward, just not fun to watch at all or effective. They hit 4 in the opener (which I didn't see) and then only got 2 free kicks the rest of the way. They were lucky to beat Gambia after Gambia outplayed them up and down the field but couldn't finish at all. And then they looked like they just didn't care against Congo in the final. I bet there will be massive changes to the squad before the u20 world cup this summer.

Gambia play well together and have some decent skill, and were probably the best team here. They just couldn't finish against Nigeria, though (and it was a tournament with generally awful finishing altogether) despite having all the chances. Jallow and Jaiteh will have decent European careers, and they were missing Ceesay, their best player, who has been injured. They're still absurdly young, but they pulled a shocker against Brazil two years ago in Peru, so who knows what can happen in Canada.

Zambia were fantastic against Cameroon and Egypt and very good against Congo, but again couldn't finish their chances. They could actually be competitive in Canada.

As usual, the host team won an Africa tournament (it's almost automatic these days, as long as the host is somewhat competent). In no way was Congo the best team here, but they made the plays and rode home-field advantage. Most likely they'll get destroyed in Canada.

12. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    I agree with much of what Dwbakke said. There was no standout team, except Zambia when they were on form. Congo weren't the best team there, and had some help from the referees (particularly against Burkina Faso), but won both the semifinal and final fairly.

What struck me was the absolutely incredible number of exaggerated injuries. Every few minutes someone was being taken off on a stretcher, and I can't recall one of them that had to be substituted. Oh, and none of the keepers seemed to be able to hold onto the ball.

As for what will happen in Canada--Gambia's style is more direct and physical than the other teams', which may give them the edge at top level. Zambia will dazzle but probably fail to make the second round, Congo will play decently and exit early. Nigeria will probably have a new coach, so it's tough to say what they'll do.

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So did Congo announce its squad for the U20 WC in Ca.?
    I ask because they're in the same group as my country--Chile.
    Here's Chile's squad:

GKs

Christopher Toselli (U. Católica)

Nery Veloso (Huachipato)

Ronald Valladares (Fdez. Vial)

Defenders

Cristián Suárez (San Felipe)

Hans Martínez (U. Católica)

Nicolás Larrondo (U. de Chile)

Eric Godoy (S. Wanderers)

Cristián Sepúlveda (U. Española)

Mids

Mauricio Isla (U. Católica)

Gary Medel (U. Católica)

Carlos Carmona (Coquimbo)

Arturo Vidal (Colo Colo)

Isaías Peralta (U. Española)

Gerardo Cortés (D. Concepción)

Juan Pablo Arenas (Colo Colo)

Dagoberto Currimilla (Huachipato)

Strikers

Nicolás Medina (U. de Chile)

Alexis Sánchez (Colo Colo)

Mathías Vidangossy (U. Española)

Jaime Grondona (S. Wanderers)

Michael Silva (S. Wanderers).

Metro

14. Jonathan_Little

Jonathan_Little New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Anybody know where I can get my hands on the squad lists for CAN2007?

15. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    You mean AYC 2007? There was no Nations Cup in 07. Congo '07 squads are available at http://www.cafu20.com/?lng=1&opt=93115

16. Kwame_Toronto

Kwame_Toronto New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    T.O
    don't you guys think it's time this thread was ....unstickied:)

17. werewolf88

werewolf88 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Henry Nyambe Mulenga - Zambia

He has since earned a call-up to the national team as a central defender, only 20 years old. Was transferred in the off-season from Forest Rangers to league champions Zesco United and started in CAF Champions League matches.

18. kwame_tdot

kwame_tdot Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    will this post ever be un-stickied? :)